Electrical Problem After Removing Dash To Repair Blend Door Actuators

plg4z71

Question

Gentlemen -

I'm a long time member here, but never really posted. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer. So, my truck is a 2007 NNBS (GMT-900) Crew Cab Z71 1500 LT2 Silverado. My air conditioning was only blowing hot and wouldn't change from vent to defrost to floor. I bought and replaced all 4 blend door actuators, and that fixed the problem.

However, I now have a new problem. When I replaced all of the blend door actuators, I had to tear my dash out down to near about bare bones. After I put my dash back together, I realized some new electrical issues. For example, when I activate the fog light button, the fog lights come on, but the fog lamp indicator doesn't display on the instrument panel. Also, when I set my cruise control, it works, but the cruise control indicator doesn't display on the instrument panel. Strangely, when I activate the bright lights, they come on, and the bright light indicator displays on the instrument panel just like it's supposed to. Additionally, my rear-view mirror no longer displays the temperature or compass heading. I pressed the OnStar button to see if there was any power to the mirror, and sure enough, the OnStar lady comes on the speakers informing me that I "need a subscription... blah blah." So I know there's power to the mirror at least.

I've checked my fuses to make sure they were OK and they were fine (unless I missed something somewhere!) I'm thinking that this is potentially a grounding issue, but have no idea where to begin. In the interest of full disclosure, I did have about 4 screws (trim screws) left over after I got everything put back together, lol. Again, I greatly appreciate any help or insight that any of you can offer! Thanks y'all!

4 answers to this question

For the cluster issues, I would disassemble dash back to where you disconnected the cluster and verify that it is connected, all plugs are connected(assuming more than one) and that the connectors are fully seated. Also take a look at the bulbs that are not working. Before putting it all back together, check the cluster lights. This gives you the opportunity to check for power at the bulbs, as well as grounds.

My full disclosure is that I have never seen the back of the cluster, so have no idea what is there. I am just going on the logic I follow.

There is max 2 connectors back of the IPC,

The key on bulb check should light all lights , BCM gets the signal to turn on lights and informs the IPC to turn indicator on is how it works

There is a grd at each side of the IPC structure near the bottom of the A pillars ....... Though you'd have more problems than what you have I think

Mirror settings have to be set again for compass I think , can't remember how

When I added the mirror with compass and temp I did not have to calibrate the compass. It has worked since then without issue, and matches the compass in gps nav. I did have one problem though, the guy that added the wiring for the mirror to temp sensor used a type of wire that did not like the winter here, first spring after install I had to replace the wire with a proper copper core wire. The wire the installer used almost looked like aluminum, it was corroded so bad the wire became brittle over a three foot length. It only took the temp out though. Compass still worked.

OP may want to make sure the power button is turned on though on the left side of mirror.