3 Month Old Sierra...Rusting Frame???

I was under the truck tonight after work just looking around getting ready for a project and found something that isn't sitting well with me. The paint on the frame is coming off and is incredibly soft. Soft enough that I can wipe it off with no effort at all with a single wipe. If it's this bad after 3 months I don't even want to think how horrible the truck will be after 5+ years. The rust in the picture below is not the only place. There is A LOT throughout the car. This can't be normal can it?

post-138385-0-84835200-1429231634_thumb.jpg

post-138385-0-65956300-1429231640_thumb.jpg

Just had mine done. There is a TSB out for this and it's covered under your warranty. There are specific instructions on how the dealer should repair this in the TSB. It should take the dealer 3 days to do it if they do it right!!!! Take pictures of everything because it will come back. No matter what do not paint over the frame, it makes the wax fall off much faster and makes things much worse.

As much as I hate Fords they actually spend the money and do a nice job painting the frames, GM has been wax coating the truck frames for years and has been a problem from the start.

GM does sell the wax used on the frame in a can, I use this to touch up, once a year I use Fluid Film and coat the entire frame/drive train.

Just had mine done. There is a TSB out for this and it's covered under your warranty. There are specific instructions on how the dealer should repair this in the TSB. It should take the dealer 3 days to do it if they do it right!!!! Take pictures of everything because it will come back. No matter what do not paint over the frame, it makes the wax fall off much faster and makes things much worse.

Had my dealer "paint" my frame 5 times so far and you are right about wax falling off and also is accelerating the rust because they paint sealed the rust with moisture and oxygen.

Its not paint. The frames are wax dipped. Take it to the dealer they can fix that under warranty.

I noticed some rust on the left side manifold on my 3 month old truck. That should be covered under warranty?

I noticed some rust on the left side manifold on my 3 month old truck. That should be covered under warranty?

Normal.

The following information may be helpful when addressing underbody component corrosion with customers.

Some customers may comment that one or more of their vehicle's underbody components are showing some form of corrosion.

This corrosion may be red in appearance (rust) if the component is steel, forged iron or cast iron.

This corrosion may also be grey or white in color if the component is constructed of an aluminum alloy.

Note: Extended outside storage may increase the opportunity for brake rotor rust. Vehicle braking systems tend to be self-cleaning while vehicles are in use, preventing any build-up of corrosion on the brake rotor surfaces. At times more extensive corrosion can cause pulsation due to thickness variation. This usually happens when the vehicle is parked for long periods of time in humid type conditions and the braking surface area under the pads corrode at a different rate compared to the rest of the braking surface area. Cleaning up of braking surfaces (burnishing) can be accomplished by 10-15 moderate stops from 56-64♦km/h (35-40♦mph) with cooling time between stops. If multiple, moderate braking stops do not correct this condition, refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 00-05-22-002 - Disc Brake Warranty Service and Procedures for additional information.

Corrosion Protection

General Motors uses a large variety of materials in the manufacture of vehicles. Many of these components undergo an extensive corrosion protection process. These components include major body structures, powertrain, wiring and electrical components and various other areas of the vehicle. General Motors engineering determines the effects of corrosion on every vehicle component.

Acceptable Corrosion

General Motors has determined that the performance of some components is not affected by surface corrosion and no longer takes preventative steps on these parts.

Rust

This corrosion may be red or brown in appearance if the component is made of steel, forged iron or cast iron.

These are typical underbody or mechanical components such as but not limited to propshafts, propshaft yokes, U-joint, steering knuckles, brake rotors and calipers, axle housings, springs, shock absorbers, suspension control arms, tie rod ends and exhaust system components. As the rust ages, it turns from an orange-red like appearance to a darker brown like appearance.

Aluminum Oxidation

Cast aluminum alloy components may appear to have a grey or white coating on the surface commonly known as “surface oxidation.” Uncoated aluminum alloys begin to oxidize as soon as it is exposed to the atmosphere. This coating does not affect the serviceability or performance of the component.

Many mechanical components are cast in aluminum alloys, these components may include, but are not limited to oil pans, valve covers, transmission and transfer case housings, steering gears and axle housings.

As much as I hate Fords they actually spend the money and do a nice job painting the frames, GM has been wax coating the truck frames for years and has been a problem from the start.

GM does sell the wax used on the frame in a can, I use this to touch up, once a year I use Fluid Film and coat the entire frame/drive train.

Is this the product you're talking about from GM?

http://trailerpartstogo.com/12346501-gmanti-corrosioncoating-11oz.aspx

Normal.

Yeah, my '08 2500HD right side was completely rusted. Though. the whole right side of it's block was pretty beat.

There was a leak in the manifold causing the tapping sound, but I doubt that would cause the whole right side to rust up?

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a slightly used '14 SLT a couple of months ago and realized I had this rusty frame issue. Just dropped it off with the dealer today to have it fixed. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Archived