e85 in Tahoe???

Manual simply referred to the cap so I double checked. Sorry to ruin your day.

Interesting. Can you educate me? What does the sensor do?

There is a sensor that reads gas to alcohol content. That's what alters the fuel mapping for E85. More E85 has to be fed to run the engine so with out that sensor then you dont get enough to properly run it

There is a sensor that reads gas to alcohol content. That's what alters the fuel mapping for E85. More E85 has to be fed to run the engine so with out that sensor then you dont get enough to properly run it

Got it. Much appreciated.

Wish it had been an option, I certainly would have taken it.

Learned this on our first 2015 Yukon. Everything published online states these trucks ARE E85 vehicles. BUTTTTT many are hitting dealers that are NOT E85 compliant. Our current escalade is also NOT a E85 vehicle. Whats funny is ALL the loaners we've been in since Sept while our Yukon and Essy have spent months back at the dealers service dept. These have all been E85 vehicles. TOO funny.

I spoke to a friend that is somewhat High Up for T/Y/E product line. They started phasing out the Alcohol sensors in the trucks at the beginning of the year because research showed that the use of E85 was "fractional". So, there is your answer.

Sucks, because I would use the E85 for the extra kick in the Tahoe.

I would run E85 if we had it around here in my 02 Silverado. Been dealing with Terry Dyson of Dyson Analysis and he is seeing great results on vehicles that are running E85.

I would think that all new vehicles are capable of running E85. If they were not, then it would state in owners manual not too run it.

• 1 month later...

Folks, took delivery of new 2015 Tahoe LT-4WD May 29 that we ordered on 4/28. That Saturday discovered black fuel cap. Sent GM an email and got contacted the following Tuesday, was told by GM rep to ask Service Department at Classic Chevrolet, Grapevine why it was not E85. This is the info I got, GM stop shipping consumer Tahoe E85 not enough parts. Only shipping this vehicle to Commercial/Fleet and Gov as E85. GM asked what they could do to make me happy and I said want a new Tahoe that is E85, they said sorry and closed the file. The funny thing is the Sales Department at Classic Chevrolet, #1 Dealer in the country did not know about this. Was also told by their Service Department that they got a couple of vehicles in with E85 yellow cap that were not E85 capable. Customer's installed E85 and had to bring back in to be fixed.

Also posted this on Face Book and same GM rep called and we went thru process again and they closed file. Also sent email to the E85 vehicles and they responded they just discovered this too and are updating their website.

Told the GM rep that we trade-in 2007 Tahoe that was E85 and would not have bought 2015 if we knew if was not. Again, closed the file.

• 2 months later...

I didn't order the "Flex Fuel" version engine mostly because my 09 had it and the gas mileage went down significantly when running on E-85. In addition only 3 stations in my area carried it all quite some distance from my house. I checked GM mpg stats...and it confirms what I always suspected. On the other hand I've been hitting 23mpg with the 2015 Tahoe on most long trips now w/o using cruise, I'm at 7800 miles coming up to 1yr ownership.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Chevrolet_Tahoe.shtml

• 4 weeks later...

Pity to hear that GM bailed on the e85 flex fuel option.

I am on my first tank of e85 ($1.46/gallon) in the PPV right now. Mileage sucks (12.8mpg so far vs. 17ish for 87/91($2.20 to 2.50/gallon)) but the truck is much peppier, revs quicker and the extra torque makes for an exciting full throttle standing start in Comp mode :)

We have 4 e85 gas stations in Houston, 1 a mile down the road so I may exercise this option pretty frequently.

Are you sure that the much lower gas mileage was due to the driver's "throttle happy" attitude?

Wait, there is a competitive mode in the advanced handling/Stabilitrak?

Archived