snow plow prep ride quality

Gone to be a little more stiff on the front, 6000# Front axle vs 5200# without prep package. Not any ride quality difference on rear, as same set up as 3/4, just helper springs that come into play after loading. Nice option though, as you get skid plates, h.d. oil and transmission coolers and big alternator for reasonable cost.

2015i GMC 3500hd cc4x4 Duramax

Online build guide indicated a tranny cooler and better air cleaner but no oil cooler. Is it possible to upgrade the 3/4 to 1 ton rear springs and the hd tranny cooler?

Online build guide indicated a tranny cooler and better air cleaner but no oil cooler. Is it possible to upgrade the 3/4 to 1 ton rear springs and the hd tranny cooler?

Are you looking gas or diesel?

HD trucks all come with the heavy duty cooling (oil and trans) plow prep or not, so it already has an engine oil cooler and trans cooler with aux. trans cooler (its the short radiator thing right through that big rectangular hole in the bumper).

All you get with plow prep is:

Snow Plow Prep Package, includes power feed for backup and roof emergency light, (KW5) 220-amp alternator with gas or diesel engine, forward lamp wiring harness, (TRW) provision for cab roof mounted lamp/beacon, (NZZ) underbody shields and Heavy-Duty front-springs

Honestly, as far as ride quality, they don't seem different enough to really notice, with or without it. Ride quality might vary slightly Z71 vs 4x4. If you turn the torsion bar up, then there will be a ride difference.

You bet! When my 2015 2500HD LT Z71 snow plow prep is empty or only lightly loaded, I run 55 PSI all the way around, and don't even worry if it gets to almost 50 on a very cold morning. Almost insane to run recommended tire pressures in a 2500HD with snow plow prep when running around empty. Those recommended tire pressures in the door sill are minimum pressures if you are fully loaded up with snow plow on the front and a 13,000 lb trailer in the back. Just too bad the tire OEM doesn't have load / pressure charts for these pickup tires like they do for commercial heavy truck tires. I questioned Michelin on this and they just punted the ball back to GM, and GM won't budge.

You run the lower pressures when empty and traction is a little better (at least regarding the roads and conditions I drive in) and ride quality is much improved. Otherwise, a little imperfection in the road will feel like going over parking lot speed bumps.

I think I'm settling on the 2500 HD...it's a z71 no snow plow prep. Regarding tire pressure chart. I've had luck with goodyear and bfg simply giving me the info on the tire itself by 5psi increments from min pressure to max. Then I dump the data into excel and smooth the curve (load/pressure isn't linear). This allows me to drop pressure as much as possible without possibly overloading/heating the tires at the reduced pressure.

I went through this myself. In my area, there were very few plow prep trucks around. I was considering plowing with the new truck at some point and decided that since the plow prep trucks are scarce, and the fact that you lose some nice options if you get it, and the fact that all it really is are the springs, I went with a Z71 truck. To tell you the truth, I rides like a dream and the power rear window and sunroof are nice options. And I could always throw a plow on it if needed. My LBZ has a plow and no prep and the truck has been flawless...

Archived