I need some help, quick! I parked my pickup (2007 Sierra NBS) like normal on Saturday evening. Went back out Sunday afternoon to start it...nothing. It was completely dead. The remote keyless entry didn't work. There weren't any door chimes, interior lights, dash lights, dome light, shift indicator, nothing. When I went to turn the ignition over, dead.

After I took the key out and reinserted it turned the ignition over the "Service Air Bag" message came on and then immediately after that the "Service 4 Wheel Drive" message came on. There is no shift indicator _ under the PRND etc. I can move the shifter without depressing the brake pedal. I tried it again in Neutral. Still dead. It won't turn over at all so its gotta be something electrical.

The battery is brand new. I checked all the logical fuses (anything associated with the messages or systems they pertain to), the connections, battery cables, everything I could think of. Anyone have any ideas of what this might be? Or things to try? I am in need of getting going again!

So to add to this, I just went back out there and pondered a couple more things. Its been sitting for 2+ hours thinking about what its done...I insert the key, turn it all the way forward to the ON position and the check engine light is the only one on - it chimes 5 times and then the rest of the dash lights up on the 6th chime. And then that is when the alert messages cycle through. I turn it to start, nothing. So I take the key out...and the fan/temp controls unit stays lit up for a few seconds and then cuts out as well. Now that its quiet out I can hear some other clicking shortly after all the lights are out. Like some kind of relay is resetting or cutting off. Does that mean anything to anyone?

12.45 volts. The cables look good as well. The outer sheath doesn't have any wear marks, the terminals aren't corroded. Should be good connections and grounds. I have had zero issues with it up until Saturday night and I moved it approximately 50 feet across the yard from where it originally sat.

I need some help, quick! I parked my pickup (2007 Sierra NNBS) like normal on Saturday evening. Went back out Sunday afternoon to start it...nothing. It was completely dead. The remote keyless entry didn't work. There weren't any door chimes, interior lights, dash lights, dome light, shift indicator, nothing. When I went to turn the ignition over, dead.

I insert the key, turn it all the way forward to the ON position and the check engine light is the only one on - it chimes 5 times and then the rest of the dash lights up on the 6th chime. And then that is when the alert messages cycle through. I turn it to start, nothing. So I take the key out...and the fan/temp controls unit stays lit up for a few seconds and then cuts out as well. Now that its quiet out I can hear some other clicking shortly after all the lights are out. Like some kind of relay is resetting or cutting off. Does that mean anything to anyone?

After I took the key out and reinserted it turned the ignition over the "Service Air Bag" message came on and then immediately after that the "Service 4 Wheel Drive" message came on. There is no shift indicator _ under the PRND etc. I can move the shifter without depressing the brake pedal. I tried it again in Neutral. Still dead. It won't turn over at all so its gotta be something electrical.

The battery is brand new. I checked all the logical fuses (anything associated with the messages or systems they pertain to), the connections, battery cables, everything I could think of. Anyone have any ideas of what this might be? Or things to try? I am in need of getting going again!

12.45V is a bit short of a fully charged battery (12.6V) but should be enough to crank over the pickup.

Sounds like your charge is good, so the next thing I'd do is to check your main system grounds. Poor grounds are usually the source of odd issues, like your IP not lighting up until the 6th chime.

You can remove and inspect the grounds. Clean if necessary. If you check the voltage drop of the main ground cable (or any ground), you should see a max of 0.02V. Any more voltage drop than that and you need to clean the connections or buy a new cable.

Is this still your factory battery? I have been through two of them in my 2008 and used a different brand after the second factory one took a shit without warning. I also replaced the factory battery in my 2010 after it quit. They don't seem to last very long any more.

All three of the factory AcDelco batteries had the same issue. They would not always hold a charge BUT tested fine. All three times it was after the trus sat a few days without use that the batteries failed.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Why did you change the battery? Was it by chance doing the same thing? If it were my truck, and I had just replaced the battery because it was more than 6 years old, and engine was cranking slow on cold days, and two days later I come out to what you describe, I would be checking voltage on battery, both before key is in ignition, and also after key is inserted and tried to start engine. If voltage stayed steady at 12 to 13 volts, then it is time to get someone over to properly check it out. If voltage is very low, then I just found the reason they put a warranty on new parts.

Double check battery connections by removing them, cleaning both cable and battery terminals, and verify the condition of the other end of the cables, paying attention to where the lug is crimped on. Look for corrosion under the insulation.

Is this still your factory battery? I have been through two of them in my 2008 and used a different brand after the second factory one took a shit without warning. I also replaced the factory battery in my 2010 after it quit. They don't seem to last very long any more.

All three of the factory AcDelco batteries had the same issue. They would not always hold a charge BUT tested fine. All three times it was after the trus sat a few days without use that the batteries failed.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

I have seen this also, did you try jumping it with a running engine on the jump vehicle?

No, its not the factory battery. This is the 3rd battery that the pickup has had in it. I put my charger on it overnight, its completely charged. I also switched the charger over to "start" and tried it with the extra boost and that didn't do anything either. I feel like I am getting plenty of juice from the battery, just something preventing it from turning over.

Looks like it's definitely a ground/cable issue.

Just for grins, take your battery to get load tested.....you never know. I know you charged it and tried to jump it with no luck, but bad batteries do some truly goofy things when they go...

Archived