Transmission Shifting Question

My 2005 5.3 Silverado will stay in 2nd or 3rd from a stop when I use that gear. It shifts fine in D.

So for example, if I downshift from D to 3rd while descending a hill and then come to a complete stop at the bottom when I start moving the truck will still be in 3rd so I will have to shift up to D for it to shift normally again. Anyone ever come across this?

Is your light on in the IPC?

That is weird for a 60 to do , I know that 80s will start out in 2nd gear if the gear chosen is 2 I believe , can't remember sorry ,

I know that for when there is a power failure to any transmission you will get a gear (both solinoids off)

That is not your problem of course just letting you know some useless info lol,

Not much you can do here I'm afraid ,

Shop time

The 4L60E starts in 2nd gear when put into second also. At least my 2004 did for sure, it was even mentioned in the owners manual. And let me tell you, with it being a two wheel drive truck that feature came in really handy from time to time in the slop. Are you sure that when you are in third that it's starting in third? 2nd does that for sure, and it's supposed to.

The 4L60E starts in 2nd gear when put into second also. At least my 2004 did for sure, it was even mentioned in the owners manual. And let me tell you, with it being a two wheel drive truck that feature came in really handy from time to time in the slop. Are you sure that when you are in third that it's starting in third? 2nd does that for sure, and it's supposed to.

Well it is possible that it is starting out in 2nd when it is in 3rd but it isn't starting out in 1st. I usually jump when I realize it and pop it into drive. I never did play with it before but may have to take it out and try.

It has done this since I purchased the truck in 2007 but never was an issue till I bought a 6000lb camper and would like to keep the truck in 3rd rather than bouncing between D and 3rd. While running on the freeway.

Archived