Blackbear Tune vs Diablew Tune

I've got an intune and am data logging tomorrow and sending to Lewis (Diablew). I'll update with results.

I'm loving it. The truck drives so much better than stock the TCM tune improvement is huge in the way the transmission responds and shifts. The ECM tune is nice as well the truck is very responsive and seems more powerful-sorry no dyno runs, but I'm very happy. I'm debating having the AFM turned back on for highway mileage, but cannot decide. The truck is smoother and more responsive with AFM turned off.

• Like 3

I'm loving it. The truck drives so much better than stock the TCM tune improvement is huge in the way the transmission responds and shifts. The ECM tune is nice as well the truck is very responsive and seems more powerful-sorry no dyno runs, but I'm very happy. I'm debating having the AFM turned back on for highway mileage, but cannot decide. The truck is smoother and more responsive with AFM turned off.

dont turn on the afm. you will find your hwy mpg is equal or better. doing 60-65 i can get 22-23mgp in my 6.2 and doing 75-85 i got about 19-20.

You have to buy a Diablo in tune or similar model. Then buy custom tunes from diablew. You will log your current truck then upload those and send them to him. He will then change settings and send back. I bought my unit from auto anything yesterday with their 20% off. Then bought his tunes. I have not got my unit yet but will log the truck when I do. Not sure if I want to tune my truck yet but with all the talk of gm trying to say they own the computer programming. I want to have it if that does happen. John Deere and gm are making a big push for this. If they don't get this approved this time they will try again until they do. Not suprised they want to do this with people tuning diesel trucks. And gas vehicles. They want to try to eliminate this and who is able to work on your vehicle.

Not sure if I want to tune my truck yet but with all the talk of gm trying to say they own the computer programming. I want to have it if that does happen. John Deere and gm are making a big push for this. If they don't get this approved this time they will try again until they do. Not suprised they want to do this with people tuning diesel trucks. And gas vehicles. They want to try to eliminate this and who is able to work on your vehicle.

Whats this about? Just curious. Im looking at getting a tune myself.

It'll never pass, well I shouldn't say never. But if it did it would give the dealerships a monopoly on service. It's the same bs like Verizon and Xfinity/comcast trying to put bandwidth restrictions on certain sites like Netflix and youtube.

You have to buy a Diablo in tune or similar model. Then buy custom tunes from diablew. You will log your current truck then upload those and send them to him. He will then change settings and send back. I bought my unit from auto anything yesterday with their 20% off. Then bought his tunes. I have not got my unit yet but will log the truck when I do. Not sure if I want to tune my truck yet but with all the talk of gm trying to say they own the computer programming. I want to have it if that does happen. John Deere and gm are making a big push for this. If they don't get this approved this time they will try again until they do. Not suprised they want to do this with people tuning diesel trucks. And gas vehicles. They want to try to eliminate this and who is able to work on your vehicle.

It'll never pass, well I shouldn't say never. But if it did it would give the dealerships a monopoly on service. It's the same bs like Verizon and Xfinity/comcast trying to put bandwidth restrictions on certain sites like Netflix and youtube.

Crafferty, the telecommunications companies trying to monopolize the internet is not the same as what the Automakers Alliance is trying to do.

Basically manufacturers want to make it to where they own the operating system software on our vehicles. It would then make it illegal for us, the owners of said vehicle, to tamper with the software. You also start going into things such as controlling the aftermarket, it would undoubtedly drive repair costs up.

Tractor company John Deere already does this with their tractors and is creating a ton of issues for owners. Here is a really good wired article regarding this issue;

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

Also another Jalopnik article with comments from the Automakers Alliance

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

Right now I would not use this as a deterrent against getting a tune done on your vehicle. Reason is, whatever tuner device you go with you can always revert back to stock if need be. Our ECM's also do not have restrictions put in place to prevent this.

Edited by WendysOrBust

"""Right now I would not use this as a deterrent against getting a tune done on your vehicle. Reason is, whatever tuner device you go with you can always revert back to stock if need be. Our ECM's also do not have restrictions put in place to prevent this"""

Correct - but can the dealer tell if you ever tuned the truck... and then revert back to stock tune? Does it keep a log on some sort? That is the million dollar question that no one can seem to answer with 110% certainty ( based on everything I have read)

"""Right now I would not use this as a deterrent against getting a tune done on your vehicle. Reason is, whatever tuner device you go with you can always revert back to stock if need be. Our ECM's also do not have restrictions put in place to prevent this"""

Correct - but can the dealer tell if you ever tuned the truck... and then revert back to stock tune? Does it keep a log on some sort? That is the million dollar question that no one can seem to answer with 110% certainty ( based on everything I have read)

No one knows, and no one will give you a definite answer. When you tune your vehicle you have to take an assumed risk that the dealer might not cover a engine or transmission related warranty claim. It is up to you to evaluate if the reward is worth the risk. At the end of the day if keeping your warranty is more important simply do not tune your vehicle. This is why when personal friends are thinking about getting a tune done on a new vehicle I always tell them to wait at least 20k miles. Most build defects seem to appear before that time.

Crafferty, the telecommunications companies trying to monopolize the internet is not the same as what the Automakers Alliance is trying to do.

Basically manufacturers want to make it to where they own the operating system software on our vehicles. It would then make it illegal for us, the owners of said vehicle, to tamper with the software. You also start going into things such as controlling the aftermarket, it would undoubtedly drive repair costs up.

Tractor company John Deere already does this with their tractors and is creating a ton of issues for owners. Here is a really good wired article regarding this issue;

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/

Also another Jalopnik article with comments from the Automakers Alliance

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

Right now I would not use this as a deterrent against getting a tune done on your vehicle. Reason is, whatever tuner device you go with you can always revert back to stock if need be. Our ECM's also do not have restrictions put in place to prevent this.

Sorry that was a bad example I used. I just meant that its just another case of big companies trying to take ownership of something they should not be able to.

As of right now DiabloSport tuners can not be seen by GM. When I spoke with DiabloSport they said there product tunes the vehicle in a way that does not cause the flash counter to create a new count. Thus all GM can see is something that looks like the battery was disconnected. Since speaking with DiabloSport I have my truck to the dealer twice. First time was for my first oil change at 5,000 miles. During the oil change my local dealer also does a full inspection of the vehicle which includes a diagnostic of the engine and transmission (both of which had been changed and reverted back to stock by my tuner). When I picked it up both the service manager and my service consultant said everything was great and no issues. Then a few weeks later the dealership replaced my factory headlights (cracking from the inside out due to heat). During this the local district manager once again had them check all the control modules in the vehicle to make sure everything was stock and nothing was changed. Once again they found nothing. So in my opinion and experience I can comfortably vouch for DiabloSport and say there product works great.
Edited by crafferty
  • Like 1

I was not trying to say it was going to pass. I hope it never does. I'm confident it won't. But if it does it'll be my fault for tuning it. My last truck was a tuned built trans lb7. So I'm used to the you pay to play game.

• 1 month later...

It is not known. Diablo claims their tunes are completely untraceable. Something other tuners don't claim. That being said no one here has had a warranty claim that's been denied due to a tune. However the guy with the blown 6.2 has had a ton of issues over his simple cold air intake. Dealer is wanting to say the CAI is at fault for the engine blown. He also goes into detail about how they scanned his ecu for a tune.

Posted on another thread...posted by jaws52 about the method of detecting the tune install..

"have a couple tech friends. went in and looked at and took a screen shot of what the data they turn in looked like.. flashed the computer with the diablo. went back in and looked at it all again and NOTHING changed. NOT ONE THING.. take that as you will.. im confident it wouldnt be found IF i had issues."

I assume his tech friends are GM dealership techs using the official screen shot procedure to check.

• 3 months later...

I'll chime in on this one too. I have the inTune which I really like. I like the fact that it is very user friendly, I can quickly adjust settings, change tunes, or put in back to stock if I was going to go to the dealer for maint. I do not have a Lew tune yet but have considered it. The inTune has a flexfuel tune now and with myself using E85 I like that as well. I'm not sure if Lew is doing E85 tunes.

Anyway the inTune comes stock with 5 tunes now I think: mileage booster (which I did not like), 87, 87/flexfuel, diablo (which is the 91+ octane tune), and then the diablo/flexfuel tune. Along with these stock ECM tunes you can modify them before you install it for say tire size changes, speed limit off, throttle boost, etc. Then also separetly choose your settings for the TCM (transmission) tune like shift point, shift pressure, torque management on/off, etc. This creates 2 tune files when it installs. So when you connect the device to your computer via USB you can see it as a drive and browse and find these files like a "ECM_12659744_LastTuneWritten.grg" file and a "TCM_24271131_LastTuneWritten.grg" file which are the "custom" tunes you just modified and installed. There are also _Backup files that I believe are the the stock tune. So what you can do is copy the LastTune ECM and TCM files to your computer hard drive, rename them to something more descriptive like "ECM_MJ_DiabloE85_SpdLmtOff_Thrtl10.grg" and "TCM_MJ_HardSft_TM-Off.grg" and then copy them back to your inTune. These will now show up as custom tunes on your inTune. This way you can can load and modify tunes figuring out what you like best and not have to remember what changes you made each time and buuilding off the ones you like. Creating kind of a poor man's custom tune library of sorts. Very neat in my opinion.

Then you go get yourself a LEW tune and you'll know exactly what to tell him what you've found you like and dislike.

You can also log data while you drive. Then download and install the free DataViewer software they have, copy the logs to your computer, and view what you've logged. See my screnshot of it below.

I keep my inTune, since it's as small as an ipod, in my backpack that I take back and forth to work each day. I love the thought of being able to change or remove my tune at anytime.

Don't forget to get yourself a bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque smartphone app so you can easily record you quicker 0-60 and 1/4 miles times. Also handy for when you have the speed limiter turned off and you're going so fast you are afraid to look down at the speedo. It'll be recorded for you. Just kidding, don't go quite that fast.

Very nice write up MJ. I just received my Diablo and will be logging on the way home so I can send my info to Lew!