Exploding Rear End

Paul Christopher Cloyd

Question

I have a 2010 12Passenger Savana 2500, 6.0ltr 3.42r axle. We just turned 50,000 miles on a trip to the local CVS. I was leaving the parking lot and her rear end blew out like a @'jhgfxbh, well something like that. The pinion Bearing is now hanging out and lube sprayed everywhere. Has anyone had or even heard of this. I have had a dozen or so personal vehicles and drove several commercial work vans and never had trouble with the back side. Really wondering if this is odd. I have 5 kids and the wife and I use the van for our Family Vehicle, so no towing or neutral drops going on, just trips around the house and vacations.

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I've heard of it ,,,,,it's from no oil changes ....... A leak that is ignored ..... Or a repair that was well ...not repaired ..well or it's a poorly set up pinion shaft from factory ,,,,,

A look at any history regarding a rear pinion seal replacement will likely find the culprit ,,,,, my item #3 ,,, a poor repair .,,, truck clearly smarter than the tech

+1 on this.

9 inch Ford pinion is about the strongest design there is. It is a "straddle" style, with a pilot bearing after the pinion gear giving it 3 bearings on the pinion.

Would be interested to see pics of the failed parts on the van. Doubt you will find many if any that have seen that happen, with a few more having heard about it before. The TPS issue you had is common, with a service bulletin out regarding it. Note that a service bulletin is not a recall.

Not really sure about the Nut 00Silverado, just looking for some feedback at this point. I searched online for any common problems with this and found none. I haven't spoke with my dealer yet but did contact GM to check their pulse on the situation. The rep was personally concerned and asked if anyone was injured. He followed that up with, "unfortunately your Drivetrain Warranty is expired".

Do you know the in-service date of the vehicle? That is the day the warranty would have started. Mileage wise you still fall under the 100,000 mile portion. If you are out of warranty time wise talk to the dealer manager and have him contact GM and see if GM will pick up part of the repair seeing that the vehicle isn't out of warrant that much.

I have a 2010 12Passenger Savana 2500, 6.0ltr 3.42r axle. We just turned 50,000 miles on a trip to the local CVS. I was leaving the parking lot and her rear end blew out like a @'jhgfxbh, well something like that. The pinion Bearing is now hanging out and lube sprayed everywhere. Has anyone had or even heard of this. I have had a dozen or so personal vehicles and drove several commercial work vans and never had trouble with the back side. Really wondering if this is odd. I have 5 kids and the wife and I use the van for our Family Vehicle, so no towing or neutral drops going on, just trips around the house and vacations.

I'm really sorry not trying to be an ass but this made me laugh out loud for quite sometime. These gm axles are junk i'm on my 3rd axle assy with 128K miles and this G80 locked up making a turn the other day and took 2 miles to unlock!

Yes Doug, the almighty service bulletin. I was stranded overnight for something the manufacturer knew about. That one was actually giving us trouble before the bulletin came out and it would always "fix itself", dealer unable to find a problem. It was in remission for years.

I think my current problem is being handled professionally by all. My wife is looking at Ford as well as the "sprinter" I think Mercedes owns that diesel saltine box on wheels. I myself am comfortable saying the rear end trouble was a fluke failure and I may forgive GM once more. GM will cover all but 400 of the repair cost. It's not free but it could have been worse. My 2005 Sierra is a workhorse! I'll be handing it down to my son in a couple years as his first truck.

My G80 stopped working somewhere around 30k miles ... :nonod:

Yes I've heard of it ,,,,,it's from no oil changes ....... A leak that is ignored ..... Or a repair that was well ...not repaired ..well or it's a poorly set up pinion shaft from factory ,,,,,

A look at any history regarding a rear pinion seal replacement will likely find the culprit ,,,,, my item #3 ,,, a poor repair .,,, truck clearly smarter than the tech

My '94 K1500 had the original U-joints at 222k. Sold that truck at 266K with presumably the original rear.

'07 plus, it's a crapshoot ...

On that note, was maneuvering my flatbed trailer with my dad's '09 Duramax this morning, to load up my brother's DEAD '02 D-max. Stepped on the E-brake - CRACK! - right to the floor. Broken. WTF ...

They just can't build anything good anymore. :confused:

Archived