Break-In for new truck

Manual doesn't say anything about break in oil so I assume the engines are initially broken in before installing in the truck. All the manual says is to drive it easy and no real long trips for the first 500 miles which I didn't do because I went on a 400 mile round trip about a week and a half after getting the truck.

I don't think it matters as much as it used to. I just took it a little easy, no really high rpms and kept it under 70 mph for the first 500 miles or so. I changed the oil at about 1000 miles. I asked the tech to check how the oil was and he said looked great, could have went longer but I still like to get the " break in" oil out fairly early.

Manual doesn't say anything about break in oil so I assume the engines are initially broken in before installing in the truck. All the manual says is to drive it easy and no real long trips for the first 500 miles which I didn't do because I went on a 400 mile round trip about a week and a half after getting the truck.

My trip home from where I ordered the truck was 450 miles. Personal preference on the dealer really.

My trip home from where I ordered the truck was 450 miles. Personal preference on the dealer really.

I don't think I went over 60 so I don't think any harm was done. It was 150 miles each way and mostly through the country and towns, so no interstate and then 100 miles at the beach. I don't think any of it harmed the engine, especially since I babied the hell out of the truck, well until I got the exhaust put on lol. That was after about 1,000 miles or maybe a little more.

I don't think I went over 60 so I don't think any harm was done. It was 150 miles each way and mostly through the country and towns, so no interstate and then 100 miles at the beach. I don't think any of it harmed the engine, especially since I babied the hell out of the truck, well until I got the exhaust put on lol. That was after about 1,000 miles or maybe a little more.

My first 150 Miles were City driving, the rest was highway 65-70MPH. From the get go I drove it like I know how I always would drive it, not too harsh or too slow (except when I just had to feel the 6.2, I ended up squawking the tires). I am pleasantly amazed how smooth everything is overall. Throttle response is right then and there just like my 2014 Ford F150 work truck except my sierra puts it to shame in power AND mileage.

Some guys on here towed right from the get go and they are comfortable with that, it's what warranty is for if anything does break prematurely.

Pvssy footin it is not the recommend way to break in any engine PROPERLY! I hammered mine as soon as I hit the interstate and did some coasting with heavy throttle. I also did some WOT pulls shifting in manual mode and then coasting. Heavy acceleration forces the rings against the cylinder walls therefore initiating a wear pattern. My engine has virtually no oil consumption...none that i can measure anyway!

RT

traction control off, one foot brake one foot gas, press AND ENJOY lol no but in all seriousness my buddies 2015 custom sport never even had 100 kilometers on it and he laid a posi strip in front of the house lol :driving:

I purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra in Nov of 2014. There was 160 Kms on it when I loaded up a 24 ft inclosed trailer and moved 5600 Km.

The truck ran flawlessly and still hasnt missed a beat. I didnt do an oil change until I reached my desitnation. Oil was checked during the trip but was still a golden brown when oil change was complete. The trip took 4 days of stright driving. To say the least, she earned her keep.

No need to waste time with a "break in period"... Just forget about it and drive it.

I agree, ,, 4 me tho i change the oil and filter before 1,000 miles Mobile 1 oil and filter

Archived