NHTSA - Brake lines rust in salt states - A solution?

Gorehamj

dorman.png

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

5/13/2015

NHTSA recently issued a warning to those that live in the salt states about rusting brake lines. The upshot of the multi-year study behind the advisory was that GM and other truck makers installed brake lines that did indeed suffer corrosion in the states with rough winters where salt is used on roadways. The corrosion caused failures and accidents. These were documented in the report. GM later changed its brake line design to add a more robust protective layer. That is likely the most cost effective way to prevent trouble, but is it the best way?

Some readers wrote in to say that replacing brake lines is inevitable and changing them as part of long term truck ownership should be expected. We looked for products that might offer a better than OEM resistance to corrosion and found that stainless brake lines are offered. Indeed, Dorman, one manufacturer, markets the stainless brake lines as a solution to this very problem. Looking at the Dorman site we noticed right away that the kits are primarily for 2000 to 2006 model year GM truck and SUV models. Exactly those that might be due for a replacement.

dorman.png

dorman.png

dorman.png

I would be wary of any stainless product that does not include the type of stainless. Just because it says stainless does not mean it won't rust. What are the nuts(flared nut fitting) made of?

Having lived and worked in the salt/winter belt for all of my life so far, I can say that almost everytime a brake line (or fuel line for that matter) rusted through it was where the clip held the line to the chassis. Crap would gather around the clip, and would hold moisture. Salt also does a fine job of holding water, in addition to melting ice and mixing with the water not allowing the water to evapourate. If simply switching to stainless was the solution, why has it taken this long to show up? This issue is not new, and brake lines have been seemless steel line the whole time.

Last time I went on a GM plant tour was decades ago in the old van plant in Scarborough, Fuel and brake lines were laid in place on the chassis pretty much at the beginning of assembly. And after having replaced many brake and fuel lines over the years, I do not see how you can get a pre-bent line that will actually replace the factory line, bend for bend, while leaving the chassis and body assembled. Anyone ever try the prebent lines? Talking about the front to rear line here.

I purchased the AC Delco #22933197 line kit for my Yukon XL. They're not stainless steel but have a black/brown coating on them. The line that runs from the ABS module to the right front wheel had to be installed in two pieces, otherwise the body would have to be lifted off the frame (not an easy task on a Yukon XL in your garage) to route the line in one piece. No issues since and glad I got it replaced when I did.

Yep - in burning coal I've become very familiar with different grades of stainless. When coal ash mixes with moisture, it forms sulfuric acid. If you use regular steel chimney pipe or have a stainless liner, your looking at 5 years IF your lucky. I've seen stainless perforate after just 4 summer months in a damp basement.

These 304 stainless steel schedule 40 hot water coils were left untouched in the off-season (summer) for just 4 months covered in flyash in a damp basement ...

coal%20stove%20water%20coil%20damage%205

After wire-wheeling all the crap off, here is a close-up pic of what it looked like:

Coal%20stove%20water%20coil%20damage%202

316 stainless might have been a bit better, but no stainless can withstand this environment. Point is, stainless is NOT indestructible.

Archived