3.08 better than 3.42 for towing

Before anyone says I am crazy, this is my perspective. Yes, the tow rating is only 6800lbs, not 9800. However, unless only towing on flat roads at no more than 60-65 mph I couldn't imagine towing anything over 6800lbs regaurdless of having lower gears. I just don't think the 5.3 has the grunt to maintain a higher gear going down the interstate even with 3.42's. In the end, it just seems you constantly turning 3-400 + rpm more than with the 3.08's (truck just working harder but not feeling any stronger). Reason for this post, just sold my 2014 ccsb with 3.08's for the identical 2015 ccsb with 3.42's. I lost 1.5 mpg's on my 80+ mile dayley commute, and other than running at a higher rpm, does not pull much if any better!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem isn't keeping the speed up once starting, it's starting the pull. I hate the 3.08s in mine. They're so high that when I hauled a love seat that didn't weigh that much the truck would almost struggle just trying to go. Tow/haul didn't help since all that mostly does is change the shift points where it keeps the RPMs higher. I'm going to put in 3.42s or 3.73s if someone can come out with 3.73s for the 9.5" 12 bolt. The truck itself can tow 11,500 lbs, the main thing changing the rating is the gears and of course the cab and bed size which don't effect it as much as gears. It's sad and embarrassing that my '14 with the 5.3 and 3.08s have a lower tow rating than my 98 with a 5.7 and 3.73 gears. Too be honest, 3-400 RPMs higher isn't that big of a deal to be able to tow 3,000 more lbs. I don't look at just towing a trailer, I look at pulling power of non conventional things like out of a mud hole or even pulling a 10-12' tree down in one pull like I did in my old truck.

I get what you are saying, and mabey 3.73's would be the ticket? The problem is reading most posts on the forum leads you to believe that 3.08's are dogs, and 3.42 makes a world of difference. Truthfully, my truck that had 3.08's felt quicker to accelerate when moving or from a stop. Both trucks seem to work a lot harder than I would have thought towing small loads. I think the 5.3 is a good fuel efficient motor, but just doesn't have the torque I had hoped for. I think if you had your same truck with 3.42's to drive for a week or two, you wouldn't notice much difference.

Before anyone says I am crazy, this is my perspective. Yes, the tow rating is only 6800lbs, not 9800. However, unless only towing on flat roads at no more than 60-65 mph I couldn't imagine towing anything over 6800lbs regaurdless of having lower gears. I just don't think the 5.3 has the grunt to maintain a higher gear going down the interstate even with 3.42's. In the end, it just seems you constantly turning 3-400 + rpm more than with the 3.08's (truck just working harder but not feeling any stronger). Reason for this post, just sold my 2014 ccsb with 3.08's for the identical 2015 ccsb with 3.42's. I lost 1.5 mpg's on my 80+ mile dayley commute, and other than running at a higher rpm, does not pull much if any better!

I'm confused.

Are you towing during your daily 80 mile commute?

Keep in mind that it isn't just the RPM's, but the actual torque multiplication itself. Shorter gear ratios (higher numerical ratios) will give you higher torque multiplication. Whether you can feel the difference or not, you can't argue with the actual physics behind why shorter gear ratios result in a highly improved towing experience and improved acceleration in normal driving.

Whenever I get a vehicle, I always play it safe and get the highest rear end ratio available.

Is your truck brand new? If so, you got to give it a some miles to break in to realize true mpg's. My 3.42 gets the same mpg's as a coworkers 3.08 and yes, his is a dog driving around here in Colorado.

lower gear ratio is alway better for towing as it better applies torque. You may not feel it in light loads but anything of any weight the higher gears will always do better and always be better fuel efficient and the engine will not work as hard. The only silverado i was able to test drive was one with the 3.08 gearing. I didnt know it when I test drove it. Got out and salesman says what do you think? I said not interested, he said why? I said this thing cant get out of its own way. Upon further insepction it had the 3.08 gearing.

Heat is another factor to consider when towing. The 3:08 ration is just going to create more heat under load. Now how much you tow affects this as well of course.

But if you tow heavly loads allot the 3:08 gear ratio will just not live as long.

I've seen abused differentials first hand and it's an ugly site..

The worst thing is seeing new trucks with blown out rear ends or transmission just because people didn't know better. Of course these people also never had a clue of what tow ratings are in the first place.

How many times I've seen 1500 Pulling in monster fifth wheels at the camp ground. It just makes me shake my head...

I had to have my truck as soon as I saw it on the lot. The only thing that would have stopped me was the rear axel. Luck was on my side though and it had the 3:42 which is good enough for what I tow. :)

Higher gear ratio is alway better for towing as it better applies torque. You may not feel it in light loads but anything of any weight the higher gears will always do better and always be better fuel efficient and the engine will not work as hard. The only silverado i was able to test drive was one with the 3.08 gearing. I didnt know it when I test drove it. Got out and salesman says what do you think? I said not interested, he said why? I said this thing cant get out of its own way. Upon further insepction it had the 3.08 gearing.

I believe you mean LOWER gear ratio.

Higher gear ratio is alway better for towing as it better applies torque. You may not feel it in light loads but anything of any weight the higher gears will always do better and always be better fuel efficient and the engine will not work as hard. The only silverado i was able to test drive was one with the 3.08 gearing. I didnt know it when I test drove it. Got out and salesman says what do you think? I said not interested, he said why? I said this thing cant get out of its own way. Upon further insepction it had the 3.08 gearing.

OP, ignore the above post, it's full of incorrect information.

For towing and hauling you want a LOWER gear ratio. Lower gearing also allows you to get up to speed quicker and turn higher RPM's.

If you're truck is not going to be used for towing/ hauling and MPG's are what you are looking for. A HIGHER gear ratio is what you want...like 3.08's. The higher ratio will also turn lower RPM's when cruising.

Higher number = lower gear ratio

(4.10, 3.73, 3.42)

Lower number = higher gear ratio

(3.08)

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

OP, ignore the above post, it's full of incorrect information.

For towing and hauling you want a LOWER gear ratio. Lower gearing also allows you to get up to speed quicker and turn higher RPM's.

If you're truck is not going to be used for towing/ hauling and MPG's are what you are looking for. A HIGHER gear ratio is what you want...like 3.08's. The higher ratio will also turn lower RPM's when cruising.

Higher number = lower gear ratio

(4.10, 3.73, 3.42)

Lower number = higher gear ratio

(3.08)

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Sorry I flipped the first word around. But ive driven a 3.08 geared truck, and didnt do it for me, and thats not going to change. GM and others are putting these high gears in trucks to sell MPG and thats all, which brings people to the brand. But 3.08 gearing in a small block engine, is inadequate for a at truck, if you are using the truck what its designed for. If you wish to throw a golf bag in the back,or groceries, and dont need the get up and go, I would say fine.

I had 3.08 and have 3.42 now. The 3.42 pulls the heavier load way better but yea bout 1.5 mpg loss. The 3.08 also had a "stutter" or "delay" if I was trying to make a quick move. The V6 gets even better MPG and tows more than the 3.08.

The problem isn't keeping the speed up once starting, it's starting the pull. I hate the 3.08s in mine. They're so high that when I hauled a love seat that didn't weigh that much the truck would almost struggle just trying to go. Tow/haul didn't help since all that mostly does is change the shift points where it keeps the RPMs higher. I'm going to put in 3.42s or 3.73s if someone can come out with 3.73s for the 9.5" 12 bolt. The truck itself can tow 11,500 lbs, the main thing changing the rating is the gears and of course the cab and bed size which don't effect it as much as gears. It's sad and embarrassing that my '14 with the 5.3 and 3.08s have a lower tow rating than my 98 with a 5.7 and 3.73 gears. Too be honest, 3-400 RPMs higher isn't that big of a deal to be able to tow 3,000 more lbs. I don't look at just towing a trailer, I look at pulling power of non conventional things like out of a mud hole or even pulling a 10-12' tree down in one pull like I did in my old truck.

Struggling to tow a loveseat?

I've hauled a load of rims n tires in my truck and I dont even notice. I've also hauled 3 fat people around. :lol: with the a/c on and I don't notice a difference? What kinda loveseat are you hauling??

I agree with getting it rolling tho. When I have to climb "the hill" coming from town this truck absolutely struggles to get up it. Then again.. I've never climbed that hill in any other vehicle.. so I can't say if its gearing.. or if its just a darn steep hill.

Archived