Well I recently went off-road with some friends and I sort of bent the front plastic air dam (truck isn't lifted yet)is it possible to bend it back with a heat gun or should I just get a new one or should I just take it off all together. I'm sort of bummed that it happened but I don't know what to do. Will there be any major effects if I take the plastic air dam off in the front ? All replies will be greatly appreciated as always.

I didn't notice any MPG drop when I took mine off. The front end on these trucks are already low so the best bet would be to take it completely off if you like the look. To me there's no need to keep fixing it when it's a good chance it will get messed up again, especially if you have it stock like mine. I was going to trim mine but it got scratched up real bad and was scratched higher than I would have trimmed it so I just removed it. What's funny is that I wasn't even off-roading when it got messed up so it wouldn't last long anyways off-roading that's more than a dirt road lol.

I took my airdam off on my old truck almost immediately and had it off for the 6 years I owned it. No issues and no noticeable change in mpg

I didn't notice any MPG drop when I took mine off. The front end on these trucks are already low so the best bet would be to take it completely off if you like the look. To me there's no need to keep fixing it when it's a good chance it will get messed up again, especially if you have it stock like mine. I was going to trim mine but it got scratched up real bad and was scratched higher than I would have trimmed it so I just removed it. What's funny is that I wasn't even off-roading when it got messed up so it wouldn't last long anyways off-roading that's more than a dirt road lol.

Do you have any pictures? The way that front chrome beast of a bumper is shaped is just strange! But it would add a couple inches of "bumper" clearance.

Well went off-roading again went through a little mud and it was hanging by a thread unfortunately so I took some bolts out and now it looks like I have a leveling kit on the truck now. I think it sorta looks better now. Once I order a lift kit and tires I don't think the air Dam would do anything beneficial and I also think it gives the truck a little more of a higher end look because there is less plastic on the front but that's just my opinion.

Well went off-roading again went through a little mud and it was hanging by a thread unfortunately so I took some bolts out and now it looks like I have a leveling kit on the truck now. I think it sorta looks better now. Once I order a lift kit and tires I don't think the air Dam would do anything beneficial and I also think it gives the truck a little more of a higher end look because there is less plastic on the front but that's just my opinion.

I took the plastic valance off of my 98 because it made the truck look meaner and more off-road by showing the IFS which the truck was leveled. With this one I was going to trim it and trim it level all the way across, but before I got a chance to I scratched it up real bad. They were deep scratches more like gouges and some of it went above where I was going to trim so I just removed mine completely. If you look at it from the side or from a front/side angle the side of the metal bumper is even with the bottom of the body which helps my OCD and looks better while the middle of the bumper going down acts as a skid plate which mine has since it's a Z71. I honestly haven't noticed any drop in MPG, maybe 1/2 a mpg on the interstate going 75 but that's about it.

Took mine off for last winter and honestly, I think I had better mileage without it on. I put it back on for summer but I'm not sure why. I'll be removing it once and for all next time I plan on going offroading or winter comes.

Archived