2014 Silverado problems really starting to pile up!!

I bought my 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ in Nov 2013 and have just crossed the 20k mile mark. It is by far the best riding truck I've ever owned/driven. Wanted to see if anyone on the thread has experienced a minimal shift in the front drivers seat while turning or braking? I've had it in for service and the installed some shims and it stopped for about a month but I'm beginning to feel it again. I have also noticed on a relatively frequent basis that when at a stop light, the idle will fluctuate from 500 RPM down to 400 RPM with a very slight but noticeable vibration and then back up to 500. Had it in the service drive and was told "that COULD be normal". What the heck that suppose to mean, I don't know but It's a bit annoying considering what I paid for the truck. Just to note... It does the same regardless if the AC is on or off. The only other problem is my rear view mirror seems to slowly drop down requiring frequent readjustment. I would consider my issues to be more of an annoyance than big problems at this point but wanted to get some feedback from others.

- Rick

I've only had my truck since November. Oil pressure looks normal. I haven't been checking the amount but I dont hear any valve tapping or anything like that.

I know this is an old post, and I know I shouldn't really scold since you're not my kid or anything, but anyone with the better part of 1000 posts in a truck forum ought to be "checking the amount" of oil.

You're a bad boy, no cookie. :)

After owning a GMT-900 oil burner, I check it religiously on this truck. The first sign of it using oil I'm turning off AFM or buying the Range AFM Delete module. If that doesn't work, it's straight to a Toyota dealer. I'm done with GM if this thing starts burning oil.

Read your owners manual, oil usage is stated to be normal, dealers and GM will tell you the same.

Funny you mention Toyota because the Tundra manual also mentions 'engine may use oil' and to check it between changes.....Good luck with your Tundra though.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Read your owners manual, oil usage is stated to be normal, dealers and GM will tell you the same.

Funny you mention Toyota because the Tundra manual also mentions 'engine may use oil' and to check it between changes.....Good luck with your Tundra though.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

I guess you don't know that GM revised their oil consumption "normal" amount to a higher amount in fewer miles to get out of fixing or replacing engines on the GMT-900's?

I don't care what manufacturer you are, burning 2 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles on an engine with less than 100k miles is NOT normal.

For the record, my dad's 2004 suburban with 115k miles doesn't burn a drop, but have fun being manipulated by GM and pouring oil into your engine every week.

It also depends on why it's burning oil. Yes general burning of oil with really high mileage is normal on any vehicle. In GM's case, oil burning was a symptom of a bad design with the active fuel management system and engines were failing. People that weren't under warranty anymore were shelling out $6-$7k out of pocket to replace engines. My buddy just replaced the engine on his 2010 Sierra last fall with $60k miles for this same issue but luckily his was still under warranty.

• 1 year later...

Computer issues...randomly I am getting messages on my D.I.C. that says "Parking assist disabled...passenger air bag disabled/needs service...assisted steering not working...all while driving I am noticing my lights at night are flickering. When I have the cruise on and switch the headlights to low/high beams it kicks out the cruise. When I slow down the volt gauge drops considerably. I am no mechanic on newer vehicles but I have built a couple stock cars in my time and more demo derby cars than I can count. My mind is telling me that the alternator or battery is crapping out. When I took it to the dealership the tech said it was a ground issue...bUT I am still having the issue...it's almost unsafe to drive! Anyone have any ideas?

Also it kicked a low battery voltage message last night...

Computer issues...randomly I am getting messages on my D.I.C. that says "Parking assist disabled...passenger air bag disabled/needs service...assisted steering not working...all while driving I am noticing my lights at night are flickering. When I have the cruise on and switch the headlights to low/high beams it kicks out the cruise. When I slow down the volt gauge drops considerably. I am no mechanic on newer vehicles but I have built a couple stock cars in my time and more demo derby cars than I can count. My mind is telling me that the alternator or battery is crapping out. When I took it to the dealership the tech said it was a ground issue...bUT I am still having the issue...it's almost unsafe to drive! Anyone have any ideas?

Also it kicked a low battery voltage message last night...

Alternator voltage regulator would be my first suspect.

i do oil every 8000 klms and my truck never uses any oil. but unfortunately i had to get a range device because the truck vibrates in V4 mode and now it has developed a vibration between 90 and 100 klm's. i have 59000 on it so to the dealership it goes before i am out of warranty

i do oil every 8000 klms and my truck never uses any oil. but unfortunately i had to get a range device because the truck vibrates in V4 mode and now it has developed a vibration between 90 and 100 klm's. i have 59000 on it so to the dealership it goes before i am out of warranty

And what besides "NORMAL" and "CANNOT DUPLICATE" do you expect them to say?

After owning a GMT-900 oil burner, I check it religiously on this truck. The first sign of it using oil I'm turning off AFM or buying the Range AFM Delete module. If that doesn't work, it's straight to a Toyota dealer. I'm done with GM if this thing starts burning oil.

Funny you mention Toyota, a friend just bought a 2016 Tundra. He asked the salesman if it had DOD/AFM - Toyota will not go there is there are too many issues that could/would affect long term reliability. Toyota has finally figured out how to better the MPG on the Tundras, they used to be horrible.

GM should ditch the AFM on the V8, and add the 3.6 Twin Turbo to the truck line up. That should help boost the overall MPG for Cafe Standards.

I have been brooding for the last couple of months since my 2014 Silverado (51k miles) has been increasingly using oil. Since purchase date October 2013 I've been to the service bay more times than I can remember with about 2 weeks of vehicle down time (I did get to use a nice impala to haul equipment and tow my boat with though). It all started with a "loose" feeling driver's seat accompanied by a clicking sound and progressed into six or seven repair iterations from two different dealers followed up with a seat heater failure. After finally getting a seat that I felt safe in, the truck developed a vibration that causes the empty passenger seat to shake from side to side at highway speeds (and yes I regularly rotate my tires). I guess I was feeling worn down by the divers seat fiasco that I decided to just accept the vibration and try to enjoy an otherwise very nice truck. Several months passed along with my bumper to bumper warranty and recently my drivers seat cushion heater and cooler stopped functioning. I'm now using about 1-1/2 quarts of oil every 2-3k miles and have had two not so good feeling occasions when on long trips in the middle of nowhere having the low oil light come on and having to pour 2 or more quarts of "expensive" quicky mart oil into the filler. It's a terrible feeling when you can't feel good about going on a long trip in your $50,000 truck. So today we are having some nice weather and I hopped in the truck to go get lunch and the ac is blowing warm air. I've had other new trucks, mostly Fords and none of them even my 99 Silverado with 245K miles gave me a fraction of the problems I've have with this truck. I don't have time to "swing by" the dealer every week or so to have my oil level monitored or to argue about whether or not its fair to expect that my seat heater or ac should last more than two calendar years. I'm thinking its time to punt.

P.s. my headlights fog up too

Buyer beware.....

I swear i wrote this post. I have experienced the EXACT same except i also needed a new exhaust and also burning 2qts of oil between changes. I have the dealership talking to GM to do something about this.

My passenger side mirror doesn't always fold in either...

traded in my 2003 suburban with 200k miles with less issues

Funny you mention Toyota, a friend just bought a 2016 Tundra. He asked the salesman if it had DOD/AFM - Toyota will not go there is there are too many issues that could/would affect long term reliability. Toyota has finally figured out how to better the MPG on the Tundras, they used to be horrible.

GM should ditch the AFM on the V8, and add the 3.6 Twin Turbo to the truck line up. That should help boost the overall MPG for Cafe Standards.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the Ecoboost may make roughly the same HP and TQ as a V8, but also still has the MPG of a V8 so there's really no plus side like Ford tries to say that they have the power of a V8 but MPGs of a V6. Simply more air means more fuel needed. Plus it's 2 turbos you have to keep maintained. I'd rather take the 2 extra cylinders on a N/Aed engine than twin turbos on a V6.

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the Ecoboost may make roughly the same HP and TQ as a V8, but also still has the MPG of a V8 so there's really no plus side like Ford tries to say that they have the power of a V8 but MPGs of a V6. Simply more air means more fuel needed. Plus it's 2 turbos you have to keep maintained. I'd rather take the 2 extra cylinders on a N/Aed engine than twin turbos on a V6.

Agreed! And I'll take the good ol' Pushrod LS over DOHC and cam phaser problems anyway.

At first I only liked pushrods, but I don't mind OHC, well at least not as much as I used to. I to prefer just a pushrod configuration. Hell I figure if the V8s that are in the NHRA top brackets like Top Fuel and Funny car run pushrods with thousands of HP then the configuration should be fine with a daily driver pickup. Of course I understand they rebuild those engines after every run, but still lol.

Archived