Knock out plugs?

TimmyG

Question

I have a 11 seierra i just took to the shop, they said it has knock out plugs that need removed and will cost extra hour of labor. Does this sound right

9 answers to this question

Core plugs, freeze plugs, and frost plugs I have heard of, knock out plugs is a new one for me. To be honest, I would not have assumed he meant core plugs. 4 year old engine is too young to have a bad core plug. OP looks to be from Ohio, so he has the regular winter, seems odd to be that a shop that has winters with snow does not call them frost or freeze plugs. I can understand a shop in Miami not calling them that.

Is this to correct a coolant leak?

The core plugs are not there to protect the block from cracking due to no antifreeze in below freezing weather. They are simply there to provide a way to remove the casting sand. Blocks will still crack if the coolant freezes. It will crack at its thinnest point, usually near top of the block under the intake.

For an alignment? Never heard of such a thing ... :confused:

Looks like another way they can bilk us out of money ... :nonod:

Didn't see anything like that on my '07 when I did the upper control arms last month, aside from the plastic inserts which the alignment place threw away after resetting the camber.

After reading it was for an alignment, I did some searching(mostly because I have a 2010 GMC) and cannot find any reference to these "knockout plugs" after 2005(although common sense says 2006 and 2007 Classic should be the same). Looking at the link provided above does not give enough detail for me to imagine what they actually do. Seems odd that for decades we managed to get along without this type of device, and had little issue with alignments moving.

Anyone know for sure if these "knockout plugs" still exist, and what do they actually do?

I do recall a fair number of manufacturers had some form of adjustment on their McPherson strut front suspension that required new cam bolts and some die grinding(unless struts were replaced already) to alter camber settings. We did charge extra labour for grinding the slots and also for the bolts.

We call 'em "freeze plugs" out here - sounds about right. If the engine is in the truck still, then that's a damn good deal your getting.

What are you having done?

The aluminum blocks usually have thread-in "freeze plugs" I think. But those aren't removed for anything besides maybe a total rebuild of the engine.

Archived