Audio goes silent by wiping the dust off the dash?!?!?!

Hello 2015SilveradoNC!

I see that you were able to make it into the dealership to address your issue regarding the radio in your Silverado. Please keep us updated with how everything goes. If you would like an additional layer of assistance while working with your dealership, feel free to send a PM our way.

Kindest regards,

Blair E.

GM Customer Service

II picked up the truck Friday and unfortunately the procedure did't completely fix the issue. It is less sensitive than before, and seems to be easier to do when the dashboard is hot from the sun. later that night, I tried it again and it din't do it.

The intensity of the swiping doesn't seem to matter. when I tested it the first time after picking it up, it took one little swipe and volume gone. When the dash was cool, I tried both easier and harder swiping and no change in the audio. This is why I think the techs were able to test the fix afterwards with success. Jeff Gordon Chevrolet has the best service departments I have ever been in, so I trust they followed what GM had them do. This a fairly new (and straight up weird) issue, so they will probably have to do some trial and error.

I'll update later in the week.

I'll take it back later in the week, but first I was going to call ahead so they can look into it ahead of time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of this one before…but you need to let GM fix under warranty. You paid a lot of money for the vehicle that comes with a warranty and you need to let them fix it…for free J

II picked up the truck Friday and unfortunately the procedure did't completely fix the issue. It is less sensitive than before, and seems to be easier to do when the dashboard is hot from the sun. later that night, I tried it again and it din't do it.

The intensity of the swiping doesn't seem to matter. when I tested it the first time after picking it up, it took one little swipe and volume gone. When the dash was cool, I tried both easier and harder swiping and no change in the audio. This is why I think the techs were able to test the fix afterwards with success. Jeff Gordon Chevrolet has the best service departments I have ever been in, so I trust they followed what GM had them do. This a fairly new (and straight up weird) issue, so they will probably have to do some trial and error.

I'll update later in the week.

I'll take it back later in the week, but first I was going to call ahead so they can look into it ahead of time.

Hello 2015SilveradoNC,

Thank you for sharing this with us and keeping us updated on the status of your Silverado! We would like to look into this further for you. If you could send a PM with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealer, we would be glad to help!

Have a great day!

Blair E.

GM Customer Service

• 3 weeks later...

I just had this happen, wiping the dash while on with onstar, all sound went blank. Had to wait 10 minutes with the truck off or so and it came back. Immediate restart did not work. Anything specific I can tell my service department about which harness, and what the solution is?

Quick update:

So far, nothing has become a concrete solution, but the radio unit is being replaced today, and the wire harness is going to be wrapped again and re-re-routed if possible. I have an early production run 2015, so i would hope the new unit is from the later production run. I tried doing the swiping on some of the showroom models and none did it.

I'll pass on anything I get. I do know that this has made it all the way to engineering since the main GM tech solutions have completely fixed it.Improved for sure, but not completely.

Awesome, thanks for the update. I had an appointment to take it in, but cancelled because I needed the truck that day. I have tried wiping the dash agin a couple times, and haven't been able to duplicate it. When I get the kicker system in next week, I'm wondering if I should pay to have the dealership install it to avoid them saying my install is a likely cause of the issue if it returns. If I was going to install myself, I was thinking of putting some door panel foam deadening material on the underside of the dash, but not exactly sure if that would form a non conductive static shield or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same problem with my 15 silverado only my dealer said dont wipe off your dash with the truck on. looks like your getting better results than i am. can

2015SilveradoNC give me any info i can take to a new dealer to see if i can get this fixed?

Had the problem once switched the car off and on after a couple of mins and sound is back. Never happened again.

When braking or coming to a stop rpm falls under 500 as if the car wants to shut off. However one of my friends has it tuned and rpms are higher a couple hundreds and has no issue with that. These cars need to be retuned with an expert and the tunes should be modified with our k2's

• 1 month later...

#PIC6118: No Audio After Wiping Dash - (Aug 13, 2015)
Subject: No Audio After Wiping Dash

Models: 2015 Chevrolet Silverado
2015 GMC Sierra
Equipped with RPO UQ3 or UQ5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment about a loss of audio after wiping/cleaning the dash. This concern is the result of static electricity.

Recommendation/Instructions
Please reprogram the radio with the latest calibrations using TIS-2-WEB.

PIC6118 is classic touch up the x-rays instead of curing the disease. If static discharge upsets the electronics, then there's a probability of actual damage due to unwanted susceptibility. Maybe not the first 10 times, but eventually, the sensitive circuit component could be damaged to the point of hard failure. So GM's answer to this is alter the software so it keeps playing when "X" happens, even though "X" may be causing physical damage.

I like the wrap/shield and relocate approach a whole lot better, and you should too.

PIC6118 is classic touch up the x-rays instead of curing the disease. If static discharge upsets the electronics, then there's a probability of actual damage due to unwanted susceptibility. Maybe not the first 10 times, but eventually, the sensitive circuit component could be damaged to the point of hard failure. So GM's answer to this is alter the software so it keeps playing when "X" happens, even though "X" may be causing physical damage.

I like the wrap/shield and relocate approach a whole lot better, and you should too.

Don't shoot the messenger! Just relaying newest info. FIX YOURS HOWEVER YOU LIKE.

Don't shoot the messenger! Just relaying newest info. FIX YOURS HOWEVER YOU LIKE.

Jeez, Dude, relax. Where in my post did I make any mention of YOU? If anyone, I was addressing GM for their lame "fix". Maybe time to dial back the paranoia, huh?

• 1 month later...

long time listener, first time caller...

I have a 2015 Silverado with the 8" screen with the I05 hmi module and have the weirdest issue I have ever seen.

While driving or at a stop light, if I wipe the dust off the dashboard with my hand directly over the radio (the high hump in the dash right in front of the light sensor), all of the audio goes silent. No radio, turn signal clicks, no phone, etc. The radio is still on, but nothing. Power cycling does nothing, but shutting off the truck and waiting 5-10 minutes works.

I assume the static electricity does something?? It is just simple wiping of the hand on the plastic dash, not banging or moving the dash.

I did it accidentally the first time, and have been able to do it 2 other times. It's not every single time, but is semi-repeatable. I'm taking it into the dealer soon, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this.

Thanks!

Mine does it too. they didn't believe me so I took it to the dealership and made it do it. My truck is posessed. I took the swifter out of the truck.lol

Archived