Locking fuel door or locking gas cap?

So my only wish item on my 2015 Silverado that so far I haven't been able to resolve is the ability to lock up the gas tank. Every car these days, even the cheap smack ones have either a locking fuel door or a locking gas cap. The sales rep informed me that the tank has an anti-siphon valve so there was no need to lock it. Well I totally disagree. I am way more concerned about someone putting something IN my tank that will ruin my engine than I am having my fuel stolen.

I have a valid concern in that I have druggie neighbors that are constantly stealing from and /or harassing those that are unfortunate enough to live near them. We have law enforcement out at a bare minimum of once a month, but it is usually several times a month. We don't leave anything unlocked unless we are planing on losing it. We so far have lost a flat bed utility trailer, batteries, starters, metal, etc. They also stole one of our PUs and took the wheel and tires off of my hubbys other truck. We managed to threaten them sufficiently that they returned those items. They were recently caught stealing electricity from the power company after they had their power turned off for non-payment of their bill.

This group is very vindictive. They are jealous of anyone that bothers to work for nice things. So I would not put it past them to try and do something to my new truck. Sugar in the gas tank would be an easy way to ruin the engine. I do set the alarm at all times, but I am not sure if it would trigger by opening the fuel door and removing the gas cap.

So does ANYONE have a solution on how to lock my fuel door or lock up the gas filler line? I have looked at several places and no one had one that I can find.

I had a locking gas cap on my old 98, but then I heard how most of them you can almost pull straight off with your bare hands. It also was a couple times where it wouldn't unlock so I had to mess with it until it did unlock. The locking fuel cap also threw a code saying that the system wasn't sealed or something like that. So I got a locking fuel door for it and put a regular cap back on. So for my current truck I did the same, kept the stock cap and got a locking fuel door. It cost over $100 but it's worth the money and the locking mechanism seems like it's good quality. It's an AMI fuel door and they have different color variations to choose from. Just make sure you get the locking one since they also make non-locking ones.

http://allsalesmfg.com/exterior/fuel_doors.html

Don't have a solution, haven't researched. Wish I did. But seriously, ever thought about moving? If what you are describing is true, sugar in the tank seems like the least of your worries.

No chance of moving. these guys are renters/squatters. We have owned our place for 34+ years. We are waiting for them to get kicked out or moved out by law enforcement. Then we are going to sell. We can't sell right now since no one in their right mind would buy a place right next to this rift-raft group. They have personally threatened me. I pack heat when I am up on the property. In fact my oldest son just called wanting one of us to go up to the property with him, so that he can trailer up, then store his old truck up there. My son is smart enough to not go alone. No one goes up on the property alone. A little more than a year ago we had a group (that was working with the group next door) trying to clear cut the property to plant marijuana. Over the next couple of weeks we turned one section of our property into a gun range. We went up and shot every couple of days. The grand finale was when our youngest went up with about 6 of his friends. The were up there all day long. LOL. It sounded like a shooting gallery. So far, no more problems with that issue. We still go up about once a month to shoot, just to remind them that we are around and armed.

Do you really think a locking cap or door would keep someone like that out? I haven't seen a locking gas door, but i doubt they are bank vaults and I'm sure it could still be opened by a screw driver or pry bar. If you have lost that much stuff maybe the money would be better spent on a camera to catch them.

If they have threatened you and stolen your stuff (which you received some back) shouldn't the police be involved?

So my only wish item on my 2015 Silverado that so far I haven't been able to resolve is the ability to lock up the gas tank. Every car these days, even the cheap smack ones have either a locking fuel door or a locking gas cap. The sales rep informed me that the tank has an anti-siphon valve so there was no need to lock it. Well I totally disagree. I am way more concerned about someone putting something IN my tank that will ruin my engine than I am having my fuel stolen.

I have a valid concern in that I have druggie neighbors that are constantly stealing from and /or harassing those that are unfortunate enough to live near them. We have law enforcement out at a bare minimum of once a month, but it is usually several times a month. We don't leave anything unlocked unless we are planing on losing it. We so far have lost a flat bed utility trailer, batteries, starters, metal, etc. They also stole one of our PUs and took the wheel and tires off of my hubbys other truck. We managed to threaten them sufficiently that they returned those items. They were recently caught stealing electricity from the power company after they had their power turned off for non-payment of their bill.

This group is very vindictive. They are jealous of anyone that bothers to work for nice things. So I would not put it past them to try and do something to my new truck. Sugar in the gas tank would be an easy way to ruin the engine. I do set the alarm at all times, but I am not sure if it would trigger by opening the fuel door and removing the gas cap.

So does ANYONE have a solution on how to lock my fuel door or lock up the gas filler line? I have looked at several places and no one had one that I can find.

Here are some locking gas filler doors and you can even get one that is color matched...

http://www.realtruck.com/american-brother-designs-billet-fuel-door/R184355P2014Y734MA.html

Do you really think a locking cap or door would keep someone like that out? I haven't seen a locking gas door, but i doubt they are bank vaults and I'm sure it could still be opened by a screw driver or pry bar. If you have lost that much stuff maybe the money would be better spent on a camera to catch them.

If they have threatened you and stolen your stuff (which you received some back) shouldn't the police be involved?

If you really piss someone off no it won't stop them, but most people once they see it has a lock they will just go to the next car if they want to steal gas or pour something in it. Of course when you deal with a pro there's not much you can do, but might as well stop the non-pros. I'd much rather pay $150 for a locking door and have to unlock it everytime I fill up than have someone pour something in my tank just to be immature and have to get a new engine.

Per my OP. we have law enforcement out all the time. I am on a first name basis with most of them, especially the drug enforcement officer. This group is well known to all of them. They even have nicknames for them. LOL which they obviously shared with me and I use the nicknames when discussing the situations with them. We have a newly elected sheriff that appears to be making some changes for our area. This is giving me hope that this group is going to wear out their welcome with law enforcement and then they are going to be coming down on them continuously until they move on to a different county. One of the other neighbors has actually shot at them when they were on his property. He definitely scared them since they scattered like cockroaches. Too bad his missed.

TY to all for the links. I will be getting a locking door. Looks like that is my only option.

Here are some locking gas filler doors and you can even get one that is color matched...

http://www.realtruck.com/american-brother-designs-billet-fuel-door/R184355P2014Y734MA.html

That looks like it will work. I will have to wait until they start with the 2015 colors since mine is Slate Gray which looks a little more blue than grey depending on the light.

Ive tried syphoning out a few tanks with guys before(people I knew) the last one was where a guy accidentally put DEF into the fuel. I can tell you its impossible to do it. Now people putting something in the tank is one thing. But to be honest putting a lock on something like this, is only going to invite the person to damage something before they put something in the tank.

why wouldn't you just put a locking cap on it? I wouldn't go thru the hoops to put a locking door on my truck that looks like that.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/1999-2014-gmc-sierra-1500/stant-locking-oe-replacement-gas-cap/p3038826d20843y1999-2014j1.jcwx

I had a locking cap on my 98 and ended up taking it off. For one, it threw a code for the fuel system not being sealed or something like that because the cap didn't seal like it was supposed to. Second, I had a bunch of people mention that being so cheap you can literally pull them straight off. Not the whole thing, but the top half and then you can turn the rest off. A locking gas door is just way more secure and has a lot better quality locking mechanism. I think about looks also, but I'm not going to let looks stop me from buying something if it's purpose out weighs the looks. I also like the look of the AMI gas door I have on my truck.

Sell your new truck and use the money for a down payment to get the hell out of there!

Or burn their house down...

Sell your new truck and use the money for a down payment to get the hell out of there!

Or burn their house down...

We don't live there full time. This is our secondary residence. We have a care-taker for the place that is dealing with the druggies regularly.

I would refrain from a locking gas cap or locking door. These days especially with trucks and SUV's, if someone wants to steal your gas, they will just drill a hole in your gas tank since it's easy to reach. What's the saying, a lock only keeps honest people honest.

If you're worried about them putting sugar or sand into your tank, if you have a locked tank, they'll most likely just slash your tires and key your car. So really in your circumstance, a locking cap does nothing against a malicious A-hole. Sorry to hear about your neighbors.

Archived