Newbie 4wd question

I have my first 4wd truck. I wanted to turn the knob so on a semi wet road I put it in auto and got the "shifting" message on the DIC. I can definitely hear the shaft turning ever so slightly. Is this normal?

Perfectly normal. You may even detect what kinda seems like vibration, or the feel of the drivetrain through the floorboard a little better.

Remember, try to avoid making sharp turns on dry pavement while in 4wd (auto should be fine). Once won't break it, but it does put it under quite a bit of stress.

Since you admitted to being a noobie, I will educate you some:

2hi - Use on normal dry, conditions.

AUTO 4 - Use during rain or light snow. I tend to disable it when traveling at speeds in excess of 50mph in those conditions. Because if you slip at 50 mph, 4 wheel drive wont save you.

4hi - Heavy snow, offroad. I typically use 4hi at speeds up to 35-45 mph.

4LO - offroad, slow speeds, less than 10 mph, or like when pulling a boat from the boat launch.

2WD- all the time

4WD auto- ice, snow
4HI- When you're completely stuck in 2WD HI
4LO- When you're completely stuck and can't move in 4HI
Use 2WD until you get stuck, use 4WD to get unstuck.

Well that is not good advice, go ahead and get stuck first, then hope the rear or what you are stuck in isn't too bad that you can drive out in 4wd? If it looks dicey use 4wd, it maybe bad enough you can't get caught in the middle of it in 2wd and drive out but if you are in 4wd momentum can hopefully carry you through.

4lo seems to be more for traversing steep grades and rocks/ledges or pulling something out suck as a stuck vehicle. If you are in deep mud/snow you can spin your tires faster in 4hi which can help clear them for traction.

I will say this the old adage is 4wd can get you stuck a lot worse than 2wd...

Tyler

Well that is not good advice, go ahead and get stuck first, then hope the rear or what you are stuck in isn't too bad that you can drive out in 4wd? If it looks dicey use 4wd, it maybe bad enough you can't get caught in the middle of it in 2wd and drive out but if you are in 4wd momentum can hopefully carry you through.

4lo seems to be more for traversing steep grades and rocks/ledges or pulling something out suck as a stuck vehicle. If you are in deep mud/snow you can spin your tires faster in 4hi which can help clear them for traction.

I will say this the old adage is 4wd can get you stuck a lot worse than 2wd...

Tyler

Getting stuck in 4WD leaves you with no alternative. The above is the best advice you can possibly follow to ensure you're not stuck... 30 years of offroading and this has been a huge reason I don't get stuck when others around me are stuck.

I have zero years of off roading but why would you wait till you are stuck to use the auto/4wd? That does seem like a bad idea to me.

If it looks like you will need 4 why not go to auto and if that doesn't work gonto hi/lo.

I only put my truck in auto 2x but both time I felt some slip and put it in auto. No problem after. Once was turning around on sloped wet grass and one was pulling my boat out that hadn't moved in 2 years so the grass was 4ft

I wouldn't wait either. I've never used any 4wd setting in the rain but Michigan highways don't get all greasy in the rain like down south and out west. Generally in the winter I'd start in auto and then make the call to see if I wanted to turn back to 2wd.

33 years of off-roading never been stuck play in 2wd until your in trouble then use 4 wheel drive works all the time. If you play in 4wheel drive your stuck no more options to try. Always worked for me mud snow and rock crawling. I agree with txchevy4ever

4 auto shouldn't be used just because it's a wet road from rain. 4 auto is more for roads that have icey, snow or slush spots where it's not consistent. These trucks have TC and stabilitrak so there's no need for auto 4 in just rain.

Oh and it's best to if you get to an off-road spot where you're not sure it will make it through in 2wd just put it in 4 so you know it will make it through. It's best to have it already in 4 than to get stuck in 2wd and try to get unstuck in 4. If you get stuck when you put it in 4 before the mudhole or whatever then you would have gotten stuck anyways. But it's better to try in 4 so you have a better chance to not get stuck. Also if you try 2wd first then you stand a very good chance to make it worse by digging ruts or burying yourself deeper. It took about 2 to 3 times in my old 98 to learn that lesson. If you're not sure if 2wd will do it just put it in 4, no harm in putting it in 4 to begin with, especially in these trucks since you don't even need to put it in neutral to even change in and out of 4lo or 4hi.

If you're taking on a mudhole or deep snow or sand that you know you will need to be in 4wd, it would be a good ieal to disable the traction control as well.

Traction control will prevent wheelspin -- a great thing to have when it is slippery, but exactly what you don't want when taking on deep mud/snow/sand.

If you get stuck and need to rock the vehicle to get out, be sure that the TC is off.

If you're taking on a mudhole or deep snow or sand that you know you will need to be in 4wd, it would be a good ieal to disable the traction control as well.

Traction control will prevent wheelspin -- a great thing to have when it is slippery, but exactly what you don't want when taking on deep mud/snow/sand.

If you get stuck and need to rock the vehicle to get out, be sure that the TC is off.

If I remember correctly I believe (at least in the new K2s) that whenever it's in 4wd that TC is automatically turned off. Not sure if it gets turned off with auto 4 when 4wd is engaged, but I believe at least when you put it in 4hi or 4lo that it turned TC off. The reason you explained is probably the reason it's turned off and maybe also the fact that they figure if you have it in 4wd that you don't need TC on.

Archived