2500 Winch size

So now that I have a 2500 I have to have a winch for areas I travel. Not any mud bogging type stuff but our dirt and loose gravel roads at camp are pretty bad during rainy times. What is the standard size for a 2500? 12,000 or 15,000 ? One additional weight issue is I almost always have a tandem trailer with 1 or 2 quads behind me so that will add some weight also maybe another 2,200 pounds. I was just curious what everyone else used.

I don't have a winch on my current truck, I had a 10,000 pound on my F450 and never had a problem getting unstuck from relatively mild stuff. If you stop before you fall too far behind and dig when you need to, it doesn't take as much winch to get unstuck compared to just trying to brute force it.

I'd recommend going as heavy as possible, for the sake of your battery and line capacity. It's really important to look at the amps drawn for pull weights and maximum pull weight per layer. Your truck's electrical system is the limiting factor on winch performance, getting unstuck from the mud only to get stranded by a fried battery is not much of an improvement. Where a higher rated winch pays off is that generally they will do the same pull as a smaller winch while drawing fewer amps and you'll have to feed less line to achieve the same pull rating.

Most importantly, IMO there's absolutely no excuse for not running a spectra cable. Steel cables are just giant rubber bands and not worth the risk.

I would contact Warn and talk to their tech line, they have some great winch systems to include the plating/wiring for the truck as well as the line of brush gaurds that are made for the truck/winch.

I don't have a winch on my current truck, I had a 10,000 pound on my F450 and never had a problem getting unstuck from relatively mild stuff. If you stop before you fall too far behind and dig when you need to, it doesn't take as much winch to get unstuck compared to just trying to brute force it.

I'd recommend going as heavy as possible, for the sake of your battery and line capacity. It's really important to look at the amps drawn for pull weights and maximum pull weight per layer. Your truck's electrical system is the limiting factor on winch performance, getting unstuck from the mud only to get stranded by a fried battery is not much of an improvement. Where a higher rated winch pays off is that generally they will do the same pull as a smaller winch while drawing fewer amps and you'll have to feed less line to achieve the same pull rating.

Most importantly, IMO there's absolutely no excuse for not running a spectra cable. Steel cables are just giant rubber bands and not worth the risk.

Understand I was leaning to a 12000 just to give me a bit of a cushion. Battery yes my last truck I had 2 batteries may do that again to. Thanks

I would contact Warn and talk to their tech line, they have some great winch systems to include the plating/wiring for the truck as well as the line of brush gaurds that are made for the truck/winch.

I am working on the winch carrier part right now to, I am trying to decide what look I want in the front of the truck. Thanks

Archived