Dynomax VT Catback Exhaust (part number 38531)

Dynomax VT Catback Exhaust (part number 38531)

I ordered this a few weeks ago, and finally found time to install it today.

First off, install was a piece of cake (used a lift, but I don't see any issue doing this on the ground). You can pull out your stock exhaust ( at least on a CC SB ) all in one piece. Just unbolt pull towards the back of the truck so you can clear the cross member, then pull the full exhaust forward and twist a tad to get the last part over the axel.

I cut my stock exhaust into 3 piece, just so I can store it easily in the rafters in the corner.

Sound on startup: Stock x2, is how I'd put it. Very suttle and quiet, not much noise at all.

Sound on slow acceleration: Same as above, you can hear it, but it's not noisy at all.

Sound on med acceleration: You can actually hear it rumble a little and can hear the shifts, something I like to hear.

Sound on hard acceleration: Nice sound, but no where near even being loud.

Sound in 4cyl: Same as stock for the most part. At highway speeds, I noticed no difference at all. In very low speeds, like 10-20mph, I notice a little helicoptor ish sound when accelerating, but wasn't bad at all.

Any questions, just let me know.

Overall, I am very happy. Not very often you can get a full catback in stainless for under $300.

Product Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-38531

Rebate Link: http://www.dynomax.com/promotions/

I just returned mine yesterday! I was not overly impressed with the sound, especially coming from my last truck that had a flowmaster 50 series. Too quiet after it idled down but it did sound good when you got in the throttle but I knew this when I ordered it. My main problem came when I had the gas peddle barely pressed, it would start making the helicopter sound and the truck would slightly shake. If it wasn't for that problem I would have kept it but combine that with the near stock sound at idle it just wan't for me. Plan on waiting the warranty out and disabling the V8 mode and go to a baffled exhaust. I agree with everything you described above except even though the startup sound is louder, it goes away in 5 seconds. Even my wife who hates the aftermarket exhausts I put on everything I own and have owned even asked why it was so quiet. $300 is a great deal and Tenneco has been great working with me with the problems I had with the first muffler (rattling sound in first muffler) and no question return policy and they pay for the shipping back to them, you can't beat that.

Still love mine, it only rattles on cold starts in the morning for a second.

I just got my $75 rebate card back from Dynomax, can't complain about a SS exhaust for under $300.

If the valve ever goes bad i'll contact dynomax and get a new muffler with warranty or splice in another brand stainless muffler.

So, now that I have about 200 miles on it, I have to say I am very pleased with the sound in v8. I like that it makes some noise, but isn't going to wake the neighbors. I also like that there is absolutely no drone in v8 mode.

v4 mode is a little annoying at times, but really not that bad. Just low speed (neighborhood 20-25) acceleration. Highway v4 mode is fine for the most part, and if you accellerate, it pops right back into v8 mode anyway.

If I end up tuning out the v4 mode someday, I'll probably replace the VT muffler with something a little more aggressive.

However, with less than $300 spent, i am very pleased, as it's SS and all set up for an easy muffler swap anytime you want with just 2 clamps.

My truck has always slightly shook and had an "off" noise when in V4 mode with the throttle lightly pressed and the VT just magnified it. If you think the stock exhaust was hard to get off in one piece you ought to try putting it back on!

My truck has always slightly shook and had an "off" noise when in V4 mode with the throttle lightly pressed and the VT just magnified it.

Yup, I agree. Mine as well. I was thinking that maybe the flapper might have been stuck open or what not.

I did buy the Range AFM disabler to see how that would work. So far, its great, no more 4cyl humming. Only annoying thing now is that I have to unplug and replug the Range unit if the truck if off for more than an hour. I am going to email Range and see if that is normal.

Archived