Driver Side Assist Handle

Does anyone know if the part number 23135699 from the 2015 Chevy Silverado will fit on the 2015 Chevy Tahoe. I know that you can use the steering wheel as a handle but it is the wrong spot for my wife. This handle is a must for us and a deal breaker for purchasing this vehicle. I have tried to get help from the local dealer but they do not want to assist with this. I have even asked them to take one off of a Silverado in the lot to just see if it fits and they will not help. Any information that somone could provide would be grwatly appreciated. Thanks.

It should fit, but as mentioned, you'll need to make sure it has the 2 nut plates for the 2 bolts. I don't see a GM part for a Tahoe driver assist handle and the 2 standard pillar pieces on the truck and Tahoe are different. It also doesn't show the assist handle on shopchevyparts.com where most people (including me) bought the assist handle for their K2 Silverado/Sierra. So I'm thinking it might not have the nut plates, but the best way to be sure is to take one off of a '15 Tahoe and look (maybe find someone on here with a Tahoe or Suburban and mayeb they'll check for you on theirs).

I know that you can use the steering wheel as a handle but it is the wrong spot for my wife.

Your wife did try to use the wheel to get in? My wife is 5'1" and the Tahoe is her daily driver. She has been using the wheel to get in for 15 years. A picture of the part number matches what’s on the Tahoe’s front passenger pillar, but only a guess if it can fit. Call Chevy parts and ask.

Thank you for the responses. I did ask Chevy parts and they think it will fit. Same A Pillar as the Silverado but no one is sure. I have been to two dealers and they will not let me pull the trim piece off to check behind it. My wife needs the A Pillar Handle because she has what is called spinal muscular atrophy (muscle weakness). The vehicle she has now has the driver assist handle but it is time to replace. She loves the large SUVs because she feels safe and because she can get out of the vehicles easier. Basically, if we get a smaller vehicle she would have to lift herself out of it. In addition, we have been looking and the Tahoe because it can be equipped with the Adaptive Cruise Control option and brake assist. Both items are helpful with the muscle weakness that she has. If anyone can get a picture of the A Pillar I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks again.

I have been to two dealers and they will not let me pull the trim piece off to check behind it.

Two options that make sense to me. This is a win/win for you and the dealership in either option.

1. Call a Chevy "Service Manager", tell him your issue (no driver side assist handle) and why (muscular atrophy) then offer to pay a tech the cost of the pillar trim panel removal and reinstall. When it comes to service at dealerships, time is money.

2. If the Service Manager doesn't have enough horsepower, call around to other Chevy dealerships and talk to the "head" person that managers the dealership. Tell him you are willing to spend 60K dependent upon if the Silverado assist handle will fit on the Tahoe driver side, ask them to check if it can fit. Doesn't seem logical for a dealership not to jump on this one.

BTW, you do know there are assist handles in the "headliner" at each door, don't know if they are strong enough or practical to climb in, they are designed to climb out of the truck.

Ok, so the dealer pulled the trim piece off and the Tahoe does have the two plates on the A Pillar. However, these plates are not threaded. Do they need to be? Does the Driver Side Assist handle come with the necessary bolts to complete the installation? I really do appreciate everyone's help and it appears that I am almost there. Thanks again.

Ok, so the dealer pulled the trim piece off and the Tahoe does have the two plates on the A Pillar. However, these plates are not threaded. Do they need to be? Does the Driver Side Assist handle come with the necessary bolts to complete the installation? I really do appreciate everyone's help and it appears that I am almost there. Thanks again.

The handle does come with the 2 bolts, but the plates do need to be threaded and you won't be able to sandwich the plate between a bolt and nut. The only real option if you need the handle bad enough is to go somewhere like Lowe's and find 2 nuts that match the threads on the bolts and then somehow fasten the nuts on the plates. The best way would be of course to weld them.

I ordered the part from the dealership yesterday and we will see what happens. They stated that when the part comes in we will go to the service department and see what we need to do to get this part working properly. I will let you all know what the result is and thank you again.

• 4 weeks later...

20150621 130312 resized

20150621 130322 resized

20150621 130328 resized

20150621 130339 resized

We finally took poccession of our 2015 Tahoe LTZ this week and I was able to install the driver assist handle for a 2015 Silverado on the Tahoe.

This was not an exact fit and the mounting plate did have to be welded to the back side of the non threaded plate that was on the A Pilar of the Tahoe. However, for about $350 I was able to get the results in the pictures above. The body shop at the dealer where we purchased the vehicle completed the modification in about two hours and I am very pleased with the results.

Therefore, if you really need this option on your Tahoe, Yukon, or Escalade it can be done. Do not take no for an answer. If anyone has any questions please let me know and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks again to everyone that replied to my earlier posts.

Hey Rush, good work. You probably have the only Tahoe with this mod :thumbs:, to include the prior two generations. PM me the work invoice with any additional details, my wife is 5'1'' and she just slobbered over this mod. Hope this works for your wife.

• 2 months later...

Did your truck not have an airbag buried up in the drivers a-pillar?

I got the Silverado handle and was ready to do the mod, only to find an airbag in the a-pillar on our 2015 Tahoe. The airbag is in the way of where the 2 holes are.

I am sorry to all for not responding. My airbag was in the A Pilar but it was not blocking the two mounting plate holes. It is actually the air bag firing mechanism and it was sitting behind the mounting plate holes.

In addition, when the mod was completed for my vehicle the dealership completed the work. They did have to remove the air bag so that they could weld the mounting plate on and then had to reinstall the airbag. The dealership completed this in less than two hours.

I hope this helps. We have had the vehicle now for over two months and have had no problems.

Thanks

Archived