Back from OBX...first vacation trip in 2500 HD Duramax

Pulling a trailer that's around 10500 wet and a little over 1300 lbs of tongue weight (going for a reweigh in a few weeks). 6 pax and a heavy 150 quart cooler right next to the tail gate. Truck sat nice and level (every F250 at the campground sagged). This truck will break the tires loose from a traffic light with that load. Aired down and drove down the beach...man it takes a loooong time to air down and back up again.

Where did you stay? We rented a house in Duck. My 2000 Z71 had some fun on the beach

Ryan

Camp Hatteras...yeah I was a little apprehensive about driving that heavy truck on the beach. Once I aired down and kept the RPMs up I was able to make it through the deep stuff with no real issue. The lifted F250 that was out there took three attempts to make it back through the dunes. All the normal trucks made it through in one attempt.

Thanks for posting this. I'm headed there in a few months and will be staying on the 4x4 only section of beach (Corolla). I was wondering what you aired down to as I will be taking my 2500 Duramax also and was concerned about getting stuck on loose sand.

Thanks for posting this. I'm headed there in a few months and will be staying on the 4x4 only section of beach (Corolla). I was wondering what you aired down to as I will be taking my 2500 Duramax also and was concerned about getting stuck on loose sand.

Accelerate very lightly and put it in 4LO... Had no problems in the sand in my 2500

The video you're required to watch prior to getting your off-road permit states 20psi. That's fine for P-metric but for LT the min pressure is 35 PSI. I aired down to that and it worked great. Takes a long damn time to air back up. Have a good pump.

You can go down to 20 on LT's, just not on cement/asphalt. It will work leaps and bounds better than 35 on the sand.

Good feedback....didn't know it would hold the bead at that low a pressure.

Pulling a trailer that's around 10500 wet and a little over 1300 lbs of tongue weight (going for a reweigh in a few weeks). 6 pax and a heavy 150 quart cooler right next to the tail gate. Truck sat nice and level (every F250 at the campground sagged). This truck will break the tires loose from a traffic light with that load. Aired down and drove down the beach...man it takes a loooong time to air down and back up again.

This is what you want for airing down your tires...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived