Back from OBX...first vacation trip in 2500 HD Duramax

This is all you need to air down. Pull the core and count to 40, then replace. Those other tools work well but they still take forever to get down to 20psi.

http://www.amazon.com/4-way-Tire-Valve-Stem-Core/dp/B00425QX8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433902268&sr=8-1&keywords=valve+stem+core+tool

Until the first time you drop the valve core in the sand, or nick the core seal, or get dirt in it, or... I'll take a deflater that screws onto the valve stem any day.

I only remove the valve core when servicing the tire.

This is all you need to air down. Pull the core and count to 40, then replace. Those other tools work well but they still take forever to get down to 20psi.

http://www.amazon.com/4-way-Tire-Valve-Stem-Core/dp/B00425QX8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433902268&sr=8-1&keywords=valve+stem+core+tool

Until the first time you drop the valve core in the sand, or nick the core seal, or get dirt in it, or... I'll take a deflater that screws onto the valve stem any day.

I only remove the valve core when servicing the tire.

I have a tool I bought from Autozone I believe that you use to pull valve cores. Only difference is that it has a handle. You don't even need to take it completely out, just unscrew it enough to let the air out at a decent rate. So don't have to worry about dropping it and as long as you're somewhat careful you shouldn't hit the seal, especially if you do like I said and only unscrew it some of the way. Most people don't drive on the beach enough to pay that much money just for tire deflators. Hell even if I lived at the beach I still wouldn't spend money on those. If I drove on the beach enough I would buy a portable tire inflator though so I wouldn't have to find a gas station with free air. I just don't see paying that much money for those when I can use a $10 tool to do the same thing.

I have a tool I bought from Autozone I believe that you use to pull valve cores. Only difference is that it has a handle. You don't even need to take it completely out, just unscrew it enough to let the air out at a decent rate. So don't have to worry about dropping it and as long as you're somewhat careful you shouldn't hit the seal, especially if you do like I said and only unscrew it some of the way. Most people don't drive on the beach enough to pay that much money just for tire deflators. Hell even if I lived at the beach I still wouldn't spend money on those. If I drove on the beach enough I would buy a portable tire inflator though so I wouldn't have to find a gas station with free air. I just don't see paying that much money for those when I can use a $10 tool to do the same thing.

You can buy screw-on deflator caps for a dollar or two. The Staun deflators are just to make things easy and to drop you to a predefined pressure with minimal effort.

You can buy screw-on deflator caps for a dollar or two. The Staun deflators are just to make things easy and to drop you to a predefined pressure with minimal effort.

The screw on deflators take forever and require you to be there the whole time. The staun are still slow but you can drive with them on. It still takes 15-20 min to air down from 70 psi and a $74 tool. Pulling the valve stem takes a $2.50 tool, a little care, and 40 seconds per tire. I have tried all three. I think I left the Staun set in my 1500 when I traded it in. Since then I just use the core remover. I do carry and extra couple of cores in my tire repair kit just in case but have not needed them.

*Posted from the beach in OBX

post-141356-0-00746300-1434078175_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived