resetting tps on silverado

chevy454

Question

Throttle Position Sensor...

There is an idle learn procedure when the dealer puts them on that is done. If it seems to idle fine and run okay with the new sensor, leave it. If not, head down to the dealer and see if they can do an idle learn for you.

Also, if you were within time and mileage, this wouldn't have cost you a dime.

This damn system is a royal pain in the ass! :banghead:

When I got my 1st set of aftermarket wheels back in '10, luckily my truck was still under warranty. I had tried and tried the procedure outlined in the manual - wasted 2 hours of my life trying and trying, thinking I was doing something wrong. NOPE - it's the way they designed this system. To get you into a dealership so they can put the vacuum to your wallet!

Strange how after that warranty visit to the dealer where they waved the magic $400 wand around the wheels, that the system actually allowed me to program a new set of wheels the next time I tried. That tells me that this was set up this way on purpose. :shakehead:

Either way, I wasn't pressing my luck. Since I got the new set of wheels programmed, I just deal with the tire light glaring in the dash for 4 months a year during winter months. I'll be damned if I ever attempt setting that stupid thing again. Yet another electronic system designed to bleed you of money .... :sick:

Archived