Photo
- - - - -

Body lift & towing ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 elk_hunter

elk_hunter

Enthusiast

• 212 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:53 AM

For all of those who has a body lift, with the hitch spacers due you lose any amount of towing weight?   I know once you lift the truck you cant use the bumber anymore for towing.

I use my truck to pull our camper,horse trailer, and a 6x12 at times.

If the body lift will lower my overall towing capacity, then I'll have to look into a suspension lift, and not a body lift.

Thanks for any information!!

:cool:

#2 chevy4x4trucks

chevy4x4trucks

Senior Enthusiast

• 7,535 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 12:44 PM

I didn't have a factory hitch, but w/ the hitch I had there were no bolts that attached to the bumper so i wouldn't loose any towing capability.  I think the two bolts are more or less to support the bumper and not for strength for the hitch.
Jon's Silverado
'01 Silverado Z71 Ext. Cab
Posted Image
chevy4x4trucks.com
eye-five.com

#3 MountaineerTom

MountaineerTom

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,935 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:11 PM

I think it's just for support too.  I wouldn't think you would loose any capacity from those.  My PA kit came with some longer bolts that go through the spacers and still attach to the bumper.

#4 8100HD

8100HD

Enthusiast

• 319 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 04:40 PM

Pull 10k regularly with my B/L'ed HD, notta one problem at all. All with the factory hitch.
2001 2500HD CC a force-fed 8.1, some 35's and a couple other add ons.
Click here for pics.

#5 gnet158

gnet158

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,004 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 06:39 PM

For all of those who has a body lift, with the hitch spacers due you lose any amount of towing weight?   I know once you lift the truck you cant use the bumber anymore for towing.

Even with no lift I wouldn't use the bumper to haul/tow anything.  The ONLY thing you can't do when you have a BODY lift installed it tow a 5th wheel trailer (the ones that hook into the truck bed).  No loss for me because I don't even own one (nor do I even want one).  Always use an after market hitch.  At least for the 1500.  I don't know about the HD's.  One thing I though was wierd is that I called 4wheel parts for a price on the body lift and they would not install it after the suspension lift.  I just called to do a price compair but that was wierd. :D   Good luck! :cool:

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4x4 Crew Cab 5.3: V8
All Star Edition
Extang Solid Fold cover
Line-X

Posted Image

#6 chvythndr

chvythndr

Enthusiast

• 184 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:44 AM

The body lift won't affect your towing capacities unless you have the ball attached to the bumper.  If you have a tow hitch on your truck, you're fine.
2002 Chevy Silverado Z71, Eaton G80 locker, 6" Superlift suspension lift, 3" Performance Accessories body lift, 36x14.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials on 16x10 Eagle 589's, 4.56 Genuine gears, Rhino liner, K&N FIPK Gen II, Superchip...