My Intake Mod

Higgs
You could get over 20 mpg in a 1974 smallblock vette. Those cars have a built in tailwind. Trucks are a different animal. Built in headwind.

Edited by spurshot

Seems like a lot of work, for not much noticeable gain. I just installed the Airaid MIT on my 5.3L. Cost $135 shipped from Amazon. I have Corsa Exhaust on my truck and I didn't notice much difference in noise from the engine after installing the Airaid. But I did notice better throttle response. Maybe even a small boost in MPG. The jury is still out on the MPG.

I guess I didn't think this was much work, as I like working on the truck. Kind of like therapy. And I need therapy. I spent most of the time trying to make sure I didn't break any electrical connectors, taking pictures, and getting the harness attached to the back of the manifold sound cover loose. The actual changing of the manifold and throttle body was not long or hard, if you've done any engine work. No coolant, fuel, or oil runs thru the manifold. Just plastic clips and electrical connectors to undo.

As far as how much gain it made, i don't want to portray it bigger than it is. Also, I think it's acting like it's extremely lean above 5000 rpm, since it just flattens out. I'll put my diagnostic tool on it today to see. Being lean is understandable.

Edited by spurshot

I guess I didn't think this was much work, as I like working on the truck. Kind of like therapy. And I need therapy.

As far as how much gain it made, i don't want to portray it bigger than it is. Also, I think it's acting like it's extremely lean above 5000 rpm, since it just flattens out. I'll put my diagnostic tool on it today to see. Being lean is understandable.

Time for a Blackbear tune... :thumbs:

• Like 1

Higgs

You could get over 20 mpg in a 1974 smallblock vette. Those cars have a built in tailwind. Trucks are a different animal. Built in headwind.

I get 30+ hwy in the Vette. I get 20-22 hwy in the truck. I get around 14-15 mixed driving in the truck (and the Vette).

• Like 2

I get 30+ hwy in the Vette. I get 20-22 hwy in the truck. I get around 14-15 mixed driving in the truck (and the Vette).

That's amazing stuff. They've come a long way.

Better order it now. That way you will have it in 3 weeks when you put it in

I'll just drive down to see Justin. No mail order for me. Maybe we can get some dyno time in Temecula or SD.

I'll just drive down to see Justin. No mail order for me. Maybe we can get some dyno time in Temecula or SD.

Just get the autocal qith multiple tunes

I guess I didn't think this was much work, as I like working on the truck. Kind of like therapy. And I need therapy. I spent most of the time trying to make sure I didn't break any electrical connectors, taking pictures, and getting the harness attached to the back of the manifold sound cover loose. The actual changing of the manifold and throttle body was not long or hard, if you've done any engine work. No coolant, fuel, or oil runs thru the manifold. Just plastic clips and electrical connectors to undo.

My engine tuning skills are pretty non-existant, but I would assume that's a good problem to have no? Correcting this with a tune would yield good top-end gains?

I took it out again. I did see it threw a code yesterday. I found I had a loose connector on the MAP sensor. Hooked it up, cleared the code and drove a bit. Freeway, streets etc.

I'm seeing a lot different feel in the pedal. The part throttle required is much less pedal for the normal driving, making it 'feel' more responsive. That makes sense. Larger hole, same butterfly angle/pedal position = more air flow, more fuel, etc. No surprise.

It does feel better in the 5000-5500 range where it fell flat until I hooked up the MAP sensor.

I hooked up my Dashcommand and plugged in the GoPoint BT1A OBD2 Bluetooth transceiver. It says the WFO mixture at about 5000 is 11.7:1 I'm not sure I believe it. Sounds a bit rich.

I haven't driven a CAI (only) equipped truck, so I can't say this is more or less improvement than a CAI.

I'm not sure any 1/4 mile or 0-60 data would mean anything to others, since my truck has about 950 lbs above the curb weight in it and 12.50 x 33 tires. From what I can tell, the curb weight is 5300 or maybe more, since I have 6 1/2 ft CC

Edited by spurshot

It is reporting the commanded AF ratio, not actual, and yes they are programmed that rich from the factory.

There is no way to know what the actual full throttle AF ratio is without a wideband, there is nothing in the computer that measures it (Ford's use widebands right from the factory).

It is reporting the commanded AF ratio, not actual, and yes they are programmed that rich from the factory.

There is no way to know what the actual full throttle AF ratio is without a wideband, there is nothing in the computer that measures it (Ford's use widebands right from the factory).

Based on what I was seeing during deceleration with the throttle closed and the other times, I'd agree, it must be commanded AFR rather than measured. I don't know what a wideband is. Can you explain? I know what an emulsion tube is and an air correction jet, but this modern electronic stuff has some nuances I've not dealt with.

Edited by spurshot

Based on what I was seeing during deceleration with the throttle closed and the other times, I'd agree, it must be commanded AFR rather than measured. I don't know what a wideband is. Can you explain? I know what an emulsion tube is and an air correction jet, but this modern electronic stuff has some nuances I've not dealt with.

Wideband is basically an O2 sensor that can read actual AFR.