My Intake Mod

• 1 month later...

No dyno numbers from me... I did the mod with very little change in power. It took the BB tune to realize-notice any difference and mileage was unaffected according to my calculations. Slight bump nothing spectacular, so $250 Manifold and TB some minor wrenching it can be done easy easy. I did it because (DID I SAY IT WAS EASY) and only took like 30-45 minutes and that was drinking a couple of beers during the swap.

RT

When I installed the MIT on my 6.2 the increase in engine sound under certain loads was very noticeable. Before I reset the computer the torque increase was really pronounced, & the mileage tanked.I reset the ECM and the mileage has shot back up, and the truck leaned out back to normal.

On the airbox mod, I believe it's just as effective to remove the plastic/foam coupler between the body & the box. I did that & could tell it was breathing better. I know about the potential increase in inlet temps, but have not noticed any adverse effects, On my old truck I pulled the plastic coupler and cut up the box similar to how you have yours with a MIT and a ported TB and a BB tune. The truck was way faster. Just saying from a performance perspective, the modded factory box & Airaid MIT gets you to the same or better place than any other cold air for a lot less $$, looks clean, & is effective IMHO.

Oh and +2 on ditch the K&N, they suck too much dirt. with the airbox mod above I found dirt (dusting)in the intake tube with a K&N, Switched to a AEM bruteforce dryflow filter and no more dust in the intake. I agree a K&N will flow, they just DO NOT filter very well. When there was no other option(80's & 90's), they were good, now there are many better choices.

• 1 year later...

I swapped intakes this morning and it was very easy and straight forward and only took 1 hr 5 minutes start to finish. Gains.... none that I noticed just a more pronounced sound from the Airaid MIT. I did some WOT pulls from a dead stop and some Interstate WOT blast up to the speed limiter and really no difference.

Now I did take a picture of one of the ports and they all looked like the one posted and the Truck is a year old as of 7-25-14 and has less than 4000 miles on the clock with a RX catch can and clean side separator. I'm sure the Headers, LT-1 Cam and 93 octane Tune will bring everything together were it should be.

question.

did you already have the Airaid MIT on the 5.3 intake ? you are reusing the MIT and it fits ?

i have the intake 200-785 .... maybe i'll need a bigger silicone hose / clamp ?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

any more updates that want to add onto this thread? Seems that most results are throttle response. But how much? Or is it mostly a mind thing thinking it would produce results? Thinking about doing this mod with my upgraded exhaust when I go back to tuner to tweak it some more 

Edited by Bohanan23

I've read you wont see any dyno number improvements , because the ecu regulates the power output so much . it has to be tuned into the ecu to actually show any bump in power. this truck doest respond to bolt ons without getting into the ecu tables

If you guys want throttle respons you really need to just install the SPrint booster v3.0 , that thing is amaizing, and switches back to stock settings at the press of a button. not bad for $300. I just installed mine saturday and i love it.  took 15 minutes

Edited by flyingfool