2011 Silverado Service lights on/off and radio doesn't work

Harley Limited

Question

Hello guys and gals. I am new to forum and hoping you can help me out. Sorry in advance for the long post. I have a 2011 Silverado Ext Cab. On Friday, I drove it 250 miles to a buddy's camp. Didn't drive it again til Sunday when we headed home. Got in it Sunday and realized the radio wasn't working. It was lit up but wouldn't do anything except for the volume indicator would go up and down as you turned the knob and it would only change bands between XM and FM, no AM. Radio display would flicker and seemed to be worse on rougher road. Clock was still right but all the presets had changed. No sound, wouldn't manually tune, would't seek or anything. Turned it off and back on with no luck. Turned it off and waited 30 minutes and still wouldn't work. On way down interstate, radio was still out when I noticed all guages go to zero then back to normal and the Service 4wd light came on and went back off. Few minutes later, the service airbag light came on and went off. Little while later stopped to get gas and I thought when I turned the truck off and waited a few mins while getting gas radio may come back on but no luck. Then 70 miles later, stopped to get a bite to eat. In there about 30 minutes, came out and noticed the radio was on AM and clock was off by about 15-20 mins now. Tuned to local station and it played as normal. Little while later, service 4wd light came on and off again. Radio played for about 35 mins then volume started fading away and then it made about 4 loud static/popping sounds then quit completely again and was doing same thing as before. When it quit this time, my AC control went from recirculate to regular outside air. Few mins later the Service Airbag light came on and off again. Parked it at home. Went out couple hours later, radio was working and 4wd seemed to be engaging. Any info on what is causing this. I have not DC'd the battery yet so I can get the codes pulled from it soon. Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Ahh the joys of owning vehicles with a billion miles of wiring inside ...

Definitely a loose connection. WHERE, is the question. Could be anywhere, unfortunately. Possibly the BCM ...??

I would start at my favorite spot, ground connections. Do not just look and tug, remove and clean the connections. Give the connectors a good twist looking for any powder under the insulation. Good news is, it is likely just one connection, bad news is, there are more than 10, keeping in mind that every wire connection has two ends to check.

Double check all fuses as well, and do not just look at them, check for continuety across them, and the wire connection under the fuse box.

Havent had much time to look at it but I did borrow a scanner and checked the codes. It gives the same codes twice. It shows Code P069E as Confirmed and Pending. Shows Code P0700 as Confirmed and Pending. Code U0073 as Confirmed and Permanent. Code U0100 as Confirmed and Permanent. Anyone ever had any of these codes and what was the fix? Thanks.

I would start at my favorite spot, ground connections. Do not just look and tug, remove and clean the connections. Give the connectors a good twist looking for any powder under the insulation. Good news is, it is likely just one connection, bad news is, there are more than 10, keeping in mind that every wire connection has two ends to check.

Double check all fuses as well, and do not just look at them, check for continuety across them, and the wire connection under the fuse box.

In my experience a lose ground is 9/10 of the problems.

so long

j-ten-ner

Archived