2014 Silverado Regear Options - 3.73 or 4.10

Hey everyone, first post here but I've been reading around here and there. I bought my 2014 Silverado LT Z71 last year with 3.08 gears after not being able to find 3.42 with the options I wanted (bought slightly used to save a few bucks).

Now I'm looking to re-gear and go with a 4-5" lift and 35" tire setup. I'm torn between a 3.73 or 4.10 to get the best combination of power and gas mileage. I called my local 4wd shop yesterday and got a quote for $1,951 (front and rear of course) out the door for the 4.10 upgrade, and they recommended that over the 3.73 with the tires and lift.

I drive mainly around town and/or the highway, I go to the woods to my hunting lease quite a bit and hit some trails from time to time, but nothing too crazy. I just want the best of both worlds if possible.

4.10 if your going to put 35's and 4-5" lift. Wouldn't worry about the mileage much irrelevant once you lift and go big tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less than $2k for front and rear???? Wow! I had a 2013 for a bit (dealership misrepresented the gear ratio) and before turning ii back into them, I checked on the pricing for a gear swap and was around $3k+ with labor.

Easy. Custom tune.

That's the plan. I'll still need to research our tune options, so that's why I'm asking questions now. I want to make sure it's done right.

The shop is 4 wheels parts, specifically in Jacksonville, and the quote is good for 3 months they said.

I went with 4.10's on my 2015 Silverado, and I love them, I also have the 6" lift & 35" tires. Very few places are making the modifications in the newer models right now, the gears are available, but the rear housing changed, and you have to change the yoke too. I used Carlton's Customs in Greenville SC., I think the cost was right around $2200.

I went with 4.10's on my 2015 Silverado, and I love them, I also have the 6" lift & 35" tires. Very few places are making the modifications in the newer models right now, the gears are available, but the rear housing changed, and you have to change the yoke too. I used Carlton's Customs in Greenville SC., I think the cost was right around $2200.

I'm assuming that price was just for install/labor correct? Parts alone should be about $1,000.

What gear ratio did you have before the swap?

I'm assuming that price was just for install/labor correct? Parts alone should be about $1,000.

What gear ratio did you have before the swap?

Yes, I have a Edelbrock Supercharger installed, so I had a tune, I just had to take it back to the tuner to change the ratio to 4.10. He also adjusted my speedometer as it was 8-11 miles off depending on what speed I was running. I was previously with a 3.42 gear, and with a 6" lift and 35" tires, it was a fat pig with now power.

Yes, I have a Edelbrock Supercharger installed, so I had a tune, I just had to take it back to the tuner to change the ratio to 4.10. He also adjusted my speedometer as it was 8-11 miles off depending on what speed I was running. I was previously with a 3.42 gear, and with a 6" lift and 35" tires, it was a fat pig with now power.

I am glad you posted here - you should bring some members to reality when it comes to modding trucks for "offroad" - I have always said, jacking a truck up and putting massive 35" tires without doing any corresponding power mods doesn't add to a trucks "offroad capability" it DETRACTS from it, turns it into a heavy-ass gutless wonder. Now, I'm not talking a simple level - I mean a full on lift like you have (I assume body and suspension?) w/ big heavy tires. You did it right and bolted a SC on - that is the way to go man. Legit - has the look AND the chops to go w/ the look.

But I'm a bit confused - did it still feel underpowered w/ the 3.42's and the supercharger, or was that prior to SC'ing?

At any rate to the OP - if you're going to pay the extra $$$ to go down in gears, ABSOLUTELY go w/ 4.10's rather than installing something that could have been fitted from the factory to begin with - as far as mileage goes its already going out the window to begin w/ - the difference between the 3.73 and 4.10's is going to be miniscule

I am glad you posted here - you should bring some members to reality when it comes to modding trucks for "offroad" - I have always said, jacking a truck up and putting massive 35" tires without doing any corresponding power mods doesn't add to a trucks "offroad capability" it DETRACTS from it, turns it into a heavy-ass gutless wonder. Now, I'm not talking a simple level - I mean a full on lift like you have (I assume body and suspension?) w/ big heavy tires. You did it right and bolted a SC on - that is the way to go man. Legit - has the look AND the chops to go w/ the look.

But I'm a bit confused - did it still feel underpowered w/ the 3.42's and the supercharger, or was that prior to SC'ing?

At any rate to the OP - if you're going to pay the extra $$$ to go down in gears, ABSOLUTELY go w/ 4.10's rather than installing something that could have been fitted from the factory to begin with - as far as mileage goes its already going out the window to begin w/ - the difference between the 3.73 and 4.10's is going to be miniscule

This is my truck...

http://www.offroadxtreme.com/features/sema-coverage/sema-2014-sherwin-williams-paint-stands-out-on-childress-truck/

Now if you read the article, it states "a hopped up supercharged motor"! When I bought the truck from the local dealer, they had no idea it was at the SEMA Show, or the truck representing the Sherwin Williams booth at the show. All they knew was it was a 1 of 1 Richard Childress Racing/Ducks Unlimited truck that was signed by him.

I'm an impulse buying kind of person, and fell in love with the truck. Like an idiot I didn't even drive it. Well after 3 days it had rained & I noticed water spotting on the truck, being a matte black, I knew you couldn't just wash it with anything so I called a friend of mine that cleans cars professionally for a living. I told him about the truck and he requested a picture of it. Now, this truck can be washed with dawn dish detergent, of Dr. Beasley's products only, at least so far that I know of. When he received the picture he's the one that told me he had seen the truck at the SEMA Show and subsequently sent me a picture. After doing a little research, I found a bunch of pictures from the show, a video of Richard Childress signing the truck etc., and the article linked above.

Here's where my first problem arose, the truck wasn't supercharged, it had a 5.3L with 3.42 gears and a functioning ram air hood & intake. So I called the American Luxury Coach and started inquiring about putting a SC on it, it wasn't sold to me as having one, so I knew I was going to have to do it. It's a special truck that deserves special attention. He started working on finding a SC for it, one that could be mapped and wouldn't harm the engine etc. He emphatically stated that I would always have to run 93 octane in the truck, I even bought stickers for inside the gas lid to state as much to show him I was serious. While he was exploring the SC options to install, he recommended a rear-end change to help with the pull & fuel mileage. Like an idiot, I took it back to the dealer for this process, they ordered the parts, and a long story short, after 11 days returned it to me with 3.42 gears re-installed in the truck, they couldn't do it.

So, I started pushing the SC option harder, and after about 2 months we finally went with the Edelbrock set up, and it's great. But it was still lacking regarding any towing, lots of power, but the gear was wrong. At this point I started reaching out to some friends and one put me onto Randy's Rack & Pinion, I spoke with Joe there and he told me they have changed the gears on 4-5 at the time, he said modification was necessary, and a new yoke but it could be done. He also recommended 4.10's over the 3.73's I had originally sought, and I'm glad I went up to the 4.10's. I asked for a shop they could recommend near me and viola, Buddy at Carlton's Customs to the rescue. While he had it, I also had him upgrade the brakes to Hawk Performance pads & slotted rotors.

So she's fast, loud and now stops on a dime! :)

Archived