Oil change intervals

How often should I change the oil in my 2014 Silverado 5.3l running 87 octane. It says in owners manual every 7,500 miles.

Sent from my iPhone

using Tapatalk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can never change your oil too often. With that said, I plan to change mine every 5K. I know we can go more, but I'll stick with what I've always done.

7,500 with synthetic blend (which is what GM uses so it's what they set the oil like for), 10,000 with full synthetic. When I start doing my own changes again I plan on using full synthetic but still changing it every 7,500 just to keep the maintenance schedule on the same track. Also don't just go by the miles, go by the oil life because it takes in account of city and highway driving.

You'll get people that will say 3,000, but that's the old interval from years and years ago where the oil wasn't as good as it is today. You can go 5,000 with conventional.

You have two years to get your four prepaid (they're not "free") oil changes from your dealer. Schedule accordingly with your mileage and the oil-use percentage. I pay an extra $35 for full synthetic Mobil-1 0W-20 instead of the blended generic Dexos oil. Doesn't hurt to visit the dealer anyway now and then anyway to see if there are any TSBs or software updates that apply to your vehicle.

There's no reason you can't safely go 10K with Mobil-1 Extended Performance which is what GM uses in these GenV engines, and what they supply for routine changes.

How often should I change the oil in my 2014 Silverado 5.3l running 87 octane. It says in owners manual every 7,500 miles.

Sent from my iPhone

using Tapatalk

The owners manual is a better source than the Internet, for this information. First because they have real data to back up their interval recommendation, and second, because staying within their recommendations for type of oil and intervals will protect your warranty.

Now a day the Manufactures are recommending higher and higher intervals. If you really want to know how far you can safely push it oil analyzes is a must.

My 2010 diesel I'm changing at 18,000 mile intervals but my 2013 I stay to about 8,000. I go by the lab reports.

7,500 with synthetic blend (which is what GM uses so it's what they set the oil like for), 10,000 with full synthetic. When I start doing my own changes again I plan on using full synthetic but still changing it every 7,500 just to keep the maintenance schedule on the same track. Also don't just go by the miles, go by the oil life because it takes in account of city and highway driving.

You'll get people that will say 3,000, but that's the old interval from years and years ago where the oil wasn't as good as it is today. You can go 5,000 with conventional.

You can believe that OLM (BS) if you want, but in my truck, I know better. My OLM clicks off 1% for every 75 miles exactly, no matter what type of driving I'm doing. I also go by the hour meter, which will be much more in the winter than in the summer. The OLM still only clicks off its 1% every 75 miles, no matter the hours or type of driving I'm doing.

The owners manual also says the oil has to be changed at least every 7500 miles to maintain your warranty, and it doesn't care whether you are using a full synthetic or not. Try going 10,000 between changes, then see where that gets you with GM if you ever have an oil related engine problem, when the owners manual says 7,500 maximum between changes.

I not only go by miles, but also the hour meter, because the OLM (in my truck) only tells me how many miles I've driven. So far, my oil changes have all been in the 120 hour to 143 hour range, with miles varying greatly.

#1. 120 hours @ 3,731 miles with 51% on OLM.

#2. 240 hours @ 7,512 miles with 50% on OLM. (120 hours, 3,781 miles since last change)

#3. 380 hours @ 14,032 miles with 14% on OLM. (140 hours, 6,520 miles since last change)

#4. 523 hours @ 18,832 miles with 36% on OLM. (143 hours, 4,800 miles since last change)

Changes 1 & 2 were nearly identical in mileage, hours, and OLM. Changes 3 & 4 were nearly identical in hours, yet drastically different in miles, OLM, and driving conditions. 4,000 of the 6,520 miles (summer/fall) between #2 & #3 were mainly all highway (interstate), and most of the 4,800 miles between #3 & #4 were winter driving conditions, with warm-ups and slow driving on back roads during hunting season. She clicks off 1% for every 75 miles, no matter the type of driving conditions. Just the way it is!

I'm sticking with 5k mile intervals. These engines use oil for many critical systems - VVT, AFM, cooling pistons, etc. If you want to go longer between oil changes I highly recommend getting a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) from a lab like Blackstone. Also, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

Archived