2015 Colorado/Canyon Shakes Vibrates

SuitUpAdventures

Question

I have a new 2015 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 2x4 and i have had it for about a month now after waiting 2 months ordering it. I am hoping someone here can help or possibly provide some insight beyond what I have already been able to figure out.

I am getting a pretty strong left to right shake on the freeway that starts almost exactly at 79/80 mph and doesn't go away as i go up. I live in Southern California so 80mph is a pretty standard speed on the freeways here. If no one is in the passenger seat you can see it moving back and forth. I don't feel it at any lower speeds.

I have had it to the dealership 3 times so far. 1st time they balanced the tires and it didn't fix it. 2nd time i took the tech on a ride and he said he definitely felt the shake and thinks it is most likely the drive shaft. So i take it the 3rd time and they had it for a week only to find out they only balanced the tires again. They claim to have done the vibration test and couldn't find anything and obviously didn't listen to the tech that was in the car with me. They have since claimed there is no issue and I am basically making it up/ it is a normal shake. Personally, i don't think they even tested it at 80mph because they keep trying to say that since it is over the speed limit they can't test it. I would love to hear them say that to someone who bought the Corvette and had this complaint.

I am not an idiot when it comes to cars, i have worked on my own cars for a long time but this is a brand new car that I feel the dealership and Chevrolet/GM should be doing a far better job of insuring it is issue free and SAFE. I do have another scheduled appointment with the dealer set up through Chevy/GM customer service where i will show them the video i recorded with my GoPro that proves at 80 and over its shakes like a massage chair so bad you can't even see the cars/lanes through the window.

I love the truck and really want to get this issue fixed but if Chevy keeps denying it and wont stand behind their products I will have to get the lawyers involved and lemon law. If the truck would have came with a disclaimer that you can't drive over the speed limit without it shaking I wouldn't have bought it.

I would love to hear if anyone else is having the same issue or any professional mechanics that might have an idea of what it could be.

Thanks

Update,

GM tech has been on site working on the truck for the past two and half days and cannot find the problem (truck has been at the dealers since July 1st). Issue has been escalated to the next tier support and another twelve to twenty four hours of waiting. I get the excuse of “we have to follow a process” but no one can tell me how long this process can last, just another 24hours of waiting and then another and another and so on. I’ll update the post once I get more info.

Update,

After escalation, GM and dealership tech found the following anomaly. Dealership pulled in four Silverado’s from the lot and compared them to mine. During inspection they noticed the exhaust system was not the same as the other four trucks. For some reason and no one can explain to me why the exhaust was run from the flex pipe in a different direction than the rest. They thought the vibration maybe coming from the exhaust and explained they may have to replace the entire system from end to end. They did a test (not sure exactly what they did) with the exhaust and were still not able to identify the issue but are not ruling out the exhaust system just yet. Issue has been escalated again and a GM engineer from Michigan will be coming to the dealership next week. I believe this is the final approach of a resolution before we start looking at a buy back or swap of some sort. I’ll update the post once I hear from the dealership.

• Like 1

Couple questions for vibrating GM’s,

Has anyone tried to put their truck in neutral while on the highway at the vibrating speed? Does it continue to vibrate with the engine at idle while coasting?

Does everyone with this vibration issue have a secure lock nut on all four wheels?

Update 2015 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long bed (2000 miles):

Dealer had the truck for a couple days and put 100 miles on the truck. This was their 3rd time holding it but 5th time test driving. They swapped drive lines with a truck that did not have the shakes and my truck still had the shakes. They then swapped wheels and tires and supposedly mine didn't have the shakes so they then started looking at my tires again which had already been rotated, balanced, road forced multiple times but this time found out one tire road forced at 29pounds (not sure what that really means). So they replaced that tire and so far it feels much better. I am not 100% that it is fixed as i have only been able to test for short periods because of very abnormal rain here which locks up the freeways. Normally it would start to shake at 75mph (100% the time) and continued from then on. Since they replaced the tire (3 days ago) i have been able to go 75 without it shaking me like an earthquake. Tomorrow i am going to try and get on open freeway where i can go for a few constant miles and really make sure but at the least thus far it is not as severe at 75mph. So they may be on to my particular issue. Fingers crossed and i will update tomorrow hopefully.

@MA-Silverado - I had not tried to put mine in neutral but i had let off the gas multiple times and the shake persisted. Also, I don't think i have a secure lock nut.

Update:

Have been driving the truck for about 2 weeks now since i got it back from its 3rd sleepover with the dealer where they replaced a FRONT tire for my cabin shakes. It has definitely been much better. There is still some shake but at the moment seems to be only for a MPH or two, maybe 80, 81 then its better. I will keep paying attention and update to inform if shakes are worse/better/same.

Update,

Received my truck back from the dealership last week Friday with half the problem resolved. Dealership put almost 300 miles of testing within 20+ days of them working on it. GM engineer found the exhaust manifold was causing the vibration issue. They replaced the parts and now I am vibration free as long as I am driving in 6 cylinders. The moment it goes into 4 cylinders the vibration is back at the specific speeds of complaints. Dealership says that GM knows this is an issue and is working on a resolution but he does not have a time frame for the fix. I asked if they can disable the feature and he said that it’s a possible solution but cannot disable it until GM makes it official. I will update the post when I get a resolution for the 4 cylinder issue or if the vibration comes back in 6 cylinder mode.

Update,

I received a call from the dealership (thought they forgot about me) that GM has been working on a solution for the 4-cylinder vibration issue. Dealer would like me to drop off the truck to apply the fix. Not sure what their fix is but I'll find out. I’ll be dropping the truck off at the dealership on 10/13/15, will update when I get it back.

Thanks,

MA

• Like 1

While I hesitate to call it a shake, or vibration, I do have a drivability issue wiht my 2015 Canyon Crew Cab. It feels like I am driving through heavy cross winds where the vehicle is being pushed sideways. It is apperant only when I am driving on pavement that is grooved and never felt on asphalt or concrete that is not grooved. The dealer has rotated the tires twice and checked the alignment but the issue persists. I have contacted Customer Service and was told that the vehicle seems to be performing as designed. {Quite a statement since many GM ignition switches were performing as designed.) The GM Field Service Representative has refused to drive the truck.

My theory is that the rear axle is not properly aligned. The tires want to follow the grooves in the pavement as they should. However if the axle is not aligned it tens to pull the rear of the vehicle to the side. When it reaches a certain point or the weight comes of the rear axle the vehicle jumps back to what should be it's normal track.

Does anyone else have this issue on grooved pavement?

Edited by tutakt

Drive shaft angle is off by 23 degrees which is hard to believe that could happen. driveshaft angle on google explains it

23 degrees of rotation is what I think we're talking about here, not driveshaft angle. 23 degrees of driveshaft angle out of spec isn't mechanically possible. The lands for the u-joints should be perfectly aligned front and back, any degree of rotation between the two u-joints would cause a crazy amount of vibration. 23 degrees is nuts if that is truly the case.

I am having this same issue and run around with my '16 LT Z71, they have had it three of the six weeks I've owned the vehicle and have tried all the same things. Amongst checking the ring and pinion and screwing around with tire swaps, they swapped a driveshaft out of a new truck on the lot, and claimed that fixed it. It did not, at all. Ordered a new shaft, which are on national backorder for 4-6 weeks and I'm stuck with a brand new piece of shit with 2000 miles on it. I have been a mechanic all my life, professionally for a number of years, and the things they are telling me about driveshafts are ridiculous. I've contacted GM about starting the buyback procedure, and I'm not backing down from it. I will hire an attorney if necessary, and if it is, there will be a lawsuit stacked on top of it. It's 100 miles roundtrip to my dealer and I'm pretty done with the run-around already and they have lead me to believe this could be a long process. Not acceptable. The dealership folks have been great, its not their fault, and they are trying hard to help. This is a corporate GM problem.

Edited by Desert Lake

On 6/27/2015 at 1:05 PM, SuitUpAdventures said:

I have a new 2015 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 2x4 and i have had it for about a month now after waiting 2 months ordering it. I am hoping someone here can help or possibly provide some insight beyond what I have already been able to figure out.

I am getting a pretty strong left to right shake on the freeway that starts almost exactly at 79/80 mph and doesn't go away as i go up. I live in Southern California so 80mph is a pretty standard speed on the freeways here. If no one is in the passenger seat you can see it moving back and forth. I don't feel it at any lower speeds.

I have had it to the dealership 3 times so far. 1st time they balanced the tires and it didn't fix it. 2nd time i took the tech on a ride and he said he definitely felt the shake and thinks it is most likely the drive shaft. So i take it the 3rd time and they had it for a week only to find out they only balanced the tires again. They claim to have done the vibration test and couldn't find anything and obviously didn't listen to the tech that was in the car with me. They have since claimed there is no issue and I am basically making it up/ it is a normal shake. Personally, i don't think they even tested it at 80mph because they keep trying to say that since it is over the speed limit they can't test it. I would love to hear them say that to someone who bought the Corvette and had this complaint.

I am not an idiot when it comes to cars, i have worked on my own cars for a long time but this is a brand new car that I feel the dealership and Chevrolet/GM should be doing a far better job of insuring it is issue free and SAFE. I do have another scheduled appointment with the dealer set up through Chevy/GM customer service where i will show them the video i recorded with my GoPro that proves at 80 and over its shakes like a massage chair so bad you can't even see the cars/lanes through the window.

I love the truck and really want to get this issue fixed but if Chevy keeps denying it and wont stand behind their products I will have to get the lawyers involved and lemon law. If the truck would have came with a disclaimer that you can't drive over the speed limit without it shaking I wouldn't have bought it.

I would love to hear if anyone else is having the same issue or any professional mechanics that might have an idea of what it could be.

Thanks

have a 2017 Canyon V6, 4x4 SLE started doing the same thing at about 12000 mi continually getting worse! The worst shudder shaking is at about 55 steady speed with slight off and on exelaration to hold the speed in cruise or whatever. However it will do it at nearly any speed at times. Yes it helps when cruising at hwy speeds to downshift to 7th but that’s not what you should have to do! Besides it will do it in 7th too when it pulls just right up a grade.I thought the tires were out of balance and took it back to the dealer which re-balanced all of them and didn’t help at all. So I have another appointment next week. Going to give them a ride and shake their teeth out to show them what it is doing! The truck only has a little over 14000 mi. On it so this is completely unacceptable! And getting worse! I noticed the transmission temp. Probably already damaged the internal parts... After all I have read on this forum and other about this I don’t think I’m going to go along with all the “we’re going to fix it crap” and tell them either buy it back or give me another “new” different kind of truck and transmission maybe like the Duramax since it has the 6 speed in it. 

——————————

update: Took it to the dealer another day and had the service manage ride with me to show him and have it documented that it will shake your teeth out while cursing. however when he got into the truck he said "I'll take a ride with you but I am well aware of this problem, I know what it is doing.” I'm sure he does... he then told me they have to go through "the process" and do triple flush to see if that fixes it. said it probably would but if not they would put a new torque converter in it. I said if that will for sure fix it why not just go ahead and put it in there? GM says have to do the flush first... yeah$$$ I told him even if it fixed it how much damage has already been done to the longevity of the truck? Oh he said the transmission is fine... yeah sure. I had the lemon law book laying in the console so he could see it but said nothing. He knew what that meant... this whole thing makes me sick. I have always trusted GM and now they are trying to cover up an obvious recall issue. sickens me.

——————————-

Update again:

Next visit to the dealership to do the triple flush on the shuddering transmission. while I was in the lobby waiting (only a few minutes) reading my lemon law book; the service manager came out and said it looks like we have an update on fixing your transmission. now GM is saying go ahead and skip the triple flush and replace the torque converter. well well, that's what I asked about to begin with if they knew it would fix it, why not!? so  they kept it about a week to replace the torque converter. I've driven it about 700 miles so far and it is very smooth, no shaking or shuddering so far. the thing that worries me is how much damage did it do to the rest of the transmission driving it with the wrong fluid in it and the torque converter going out (metal shavings pumped throughout the transmission) what is going to happen say 50,000 miles down the road? this was to be my last new truck since I am retired and on a fixed budget. I won't have the money to pay for replacing a transmission... concerned, don’t know what I should do even if it seems like it's fixed?