2015 Silverado LT Vibration/Shaking

Just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado has bad vibration when your holding steady at about 1500rpms at 65mph comes and goes with light acceleration feels like rumble strips. Bought it on June 6 went in the shop on June 30 just got it back Friday July 17 and it's not better at all! They did a software update and the tranny and road forced balanced the tires. I know there is a lot of post about this but has anybody had any luck with a fix at all? If not I guess I just wanted to welcome myself to the vibration club!

Just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado has bad vibration when your holding steady at about 1500rpms at 65mph comes and goes with light acceleration feels like rumble strips. Bought it on June 6 went in the shop on June 30 just got it back Friday July 17 and it's not better at all! They did a software update and the tranny and road forced balanced the tires. I know there is a lot of post about this but has anybody had any luck with a fix at all? If not I guess I just wanted to welcome myself to the vibration club!

nope, welcome to the club buddy

Couple questions for vibrating GM’s,

Has anyone tried to put their truck in neutral while on the highway at the vibrating speed? Does it continue to vibrate with the engine at idle while coasting?

Does everyone with this vibration issue have a secure lock nut on all four wheels?

@Jvaughan174 - Welcome, seems like we should have membership cards or something.

I've been wondering if anyone has put a confirmed "vibrator" on a stationary dyno,get it up to speed(70-75) and see if they can replicate the vibe without having to go on the highway.Would be smooth/consistant ride,unlike highway where little bumps can set it off,Seems like this method could narrow down the possibilities.If it still vibes on dyno,that would eliminate anything up front (Tires,wheels,Smooth Road Shake from the new electric power steering,suspension,aerodynamics) narrow it down to the rear tires/wheels,driveshaft,rearend gears/axles,transmission.....Still chuckle about the guy who was told it shakes because he put running boards on.

Edited by zachybean

So I did more testing in my truck yesterday before dropping it off at the dealer again, The highway was pretty free for a change and I was actually able to get up to 82MPH for the first time in about a month, and I did not have any SERIOUS vibe issues, just the light vibe I get at all speeds (no its not standard road imperfections) , It did continue to have a worse vibe/shake when going around a curve on the highway at speeds of about 45+ MPH. The AFM still sucks, Ironically they gave me a Tahoe for the loaner and I only noticed the AFM vibe once in it, all other times it was flawless (audience gasps here) and guess what else.... The radio actually works properly (wispers among crowd in shock). So when I dropped it off, I specifically requested that they examine the steering position control sensor (figured what the h*ll, maybe they will find something wrong with it and the "smooth road shake") I also specifically asked them to roadforce and re-balance the wheels (figured what the h*ll, maybe I'll get lucky and it will help). They looked up the Service Bulletin for the Radio and were surprised that I knew about it when they didn't (So I thank you all here, please take a bow), we already know that the software is up to date, but they are going to check again, and they said they would try to play around with the radio again to see if they can figure anything out, but I'm not holding my breath.

So when he read the TSB, he said that GM is blaming it on obstructions such as buildings and poor signal quality from the provider. I said "thats a load of sh*t, these stations have been around here for years, and I've never had issues with them before, even in my old 2007 with the stock Ford/Lincoln deck that I traded in for this" and he agreed with me.... further prof is the Tahoe, It has not issues picking up the same stations that my truck can't do.

He is supposed to call me this afternoon about anything they find, what they can/ are doing for it, and when I'll be able to get my truck back. I'll keep you all posted with any findings

I've been wondering if anyone has put a confirmed "vibrator" on a stationary dyno,get it up to speed(70-75) and see if they can replicate the vibe without having to go on the highway.Would be smooth/consistant ride,unlike highway where little bumps can set it off,Seems like this method could narrow down the possibilities.If it still vibes on dyno,that would eliminate anything up front (Tires,wheels,Smooth Road Shake from the new electric power steering,suspension,aerodynamics) narrow it down to the rear tires/wheels,driveshaft,rearend gears/axles,transmission.....Still chuckle about the guy who was told it shakes because he put running boards on.

thats hilarious about the running boards

• Like 1

Couple questions for vibrating GM’s,

Has anyone tried to put their truck in neutral while on the highway at the vibrating speed? Does it continue to vibrate with the engine at idle while coasting?

Does everyone with this vibration issue have a secure lock nut on all four wheels?

@Jvaughan174 - Welcome, seems like we should have membership cards or something.

I have coasted in neutral, and ran it in 4th 5th anf 6th gear at 70 mph. Vibration is unchanged in frequency or amplitude.

Ok guys, i finally got the problem fixed after several visits to the dealership. The vibration problem is the ring gear and pinion gear which i suspected in the beginning . Chevrolet had an issue with the cuts of these gears which they have yet to announce. Have the dealer check the backlash on the gears and they will find it is not in tolerance by Gm standards. Gm will send a replacement kit that has been corrected. You will need to be insistent on this process. This isn't a cheap fix for Gm and they will try to beat around the bush with the tire balance smoke screen. Keep calm but firm and it will go along ways in solving your problem. Hope this helps guys and be safe in your travels.

• Like 5

Ok guys, i finally got the problem fixed after several visits to the dealership. The vibration problem is the ring gear and pinion gear which i suspected in the beginning . Chevrolet had an issue with the cuts of these gears which they have yet to announce. Have the dealer check the backlash on the gears and they will find it is not in tolerance by Gm standards. Gm will send a replacement kit that has been corrected. You will need to be insistent on this process. This isn't a cheap fix for Gm and they will try to beat around the bush with the tire balance smoke screen. Keep calm but firm and it will go along ways in solving your problem. Hope this helps guys and be safe in your travels.

What speed was your vibe at?

Glad you got it fixed.....there is hope!!!

Congradulations!

My 14 Sierra Dbl Cab got this fix 11 months ago. Cured my vibration. Several others got this cure with no change in vibration.

Guess you are lucky, if not a discoverer!

Edited by PMurray

It's good to hear that there is possibly a light at the end of the tunnel! I need to take mine back in even though the dealership claims the issue was resolved by balancing the tires. For the most part, I drive the same roads every day so it's hard to distinguish between the road being bad or the truck. But took the truck out for a nice drive the past two weekends and definitely a vibration or shake that starts around the 70mph mark. Lately we've been calling the truck, the Vomit Comet. It got so bad driving 100 miles in it this past weekend that we literally stopped off at a stretch of car dealerships and was ready to trade it in for a Chevy 2500 Diesel and ( gasp ) even possibly a Dodge Diesel. Lol. On the advice of the Chevy dealership, I'm going to take my GMC to another dealer service department that is willing to further troubleshoot the issue as the one I normally go to just wants to keep blaming the design of the truck and bad roads in California. You would think that they would've put new tires on after riding around unbalanced for 1 year/8000 miles instead of rebalancing them with the hugest wheel weights known to man. I'm wondering if the ring and pinion gears will help resolve the problem and maybe a new set of tires. We're pretty loyal to GM when it comes to trucks but if this goes unresolved, it might be time to jump ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk