Anyone ever dealt with getting warranty coverage after 36,000 miles?

My wife has a 2013 Traverse and I don't drive it very often. When driving it, I noticed when you pressed and released the brakes, you get a creaking sound. Problem is, the mileage is in the 38,xxx range. I was really aggravated because I took it to the dealership and explained to the service advisor my issue, with it being out of warranty, etc. I was also getting a couple of recalls taken care of at the time. I was told it would be $119 diagnostic to look at the issue. After emailing to a service manager, it was arranged to have the shop foreman look at it for me. It took him about 15 seconds of listening to the sound to conclude it is most likely the brake booster. What are my chances at getting this covered under the warranty? Seems like this is a potential safety issue if the booster fails. I have owned numerous GM vehicles over the years and never had a brake booster issue EVER. I am also aggravated because the service advisors just kind of act like "Sorry, out of warranty." I have been successful in getting something covered after 36,000 miles in the past (same mileage range I am in now) and at the same dealership. The other aggravating factor is that I purchased my Silverado at this dealership last year and it seems like I have to raise a fuss in order to get a little help on this.

It really depends on the dealer. I mean it's out of warranty, what else do you want them to do? The brake booster just gives you power brakes. So even if it goes out you'll still have brakes, you will just have to push it harder and I understand that your wife is the one that really drives it so she wouldn't be able to push it as hard as you. So not sure if it's a big enough safety issue, especially if your brakes still feel good, it just hisses. Of course it still shouldn't go bad so early, just saying that just because it could be a safety issues doesn't mean they should cover it under warranty when it's out of warranty.

Most likely that dealership fixed something out of warranty to keep your business, but probably either got chewed out by GM or GM wouldn't reimburse them (if that's how it works).

Contact GM customer assistance. Many times they might not cover it all but will at least cover a portion of the repair. My mom had a 2000 blazer that has like 24K miles and hit 37 months when the 4wd actuator failed. They covered half

Same happened to me with my Ram at 38,000 miles. My left power mirror went out. The service guy told me that electrical wasn't covered under the lifetime warranty, only mechanical stuff. I talked to the service manager and they covered it 100%

I did just have my truck in the shop for two weeks replacing the entire top end at 32,000 miles for the cylinder deactivation system. As well as early on I had three navigation head units replaced. There was something spooking that truck electrically.

Had a similar issue with my Honda civic. It was leaking oil from the oil pan with 48,000. They split the cost with me 50% saving me $350 bucks.

End of day it's the Service mangers call, they have ways of making it work for loyal customers.

The part that bothers me is the fact that the service advisors try to act like it isn't an option. You have to go over their heads and speak with a service manager. I thought their job was to take care of the customer. I even had a service advisor at another dealership tell me once that GM was a better company because they would help you out if you had issues right after the warranty was up. She said some other car companies don't do that.

Contact GM customer assistance. Many times they might not cover it all but will at least cover a portion of the repair. My mom had a 2000 blazer that has like 24K miles and hit 37 months when the 4wd actuator failed. They covered half

I disagree.

Go back to the dealership and speak directly with the Service Manager. Ask if there's anything that they would be able to do to assist with the costs, or maybe even help to get it covered under warranty. If you call Customer Assistance, you're alerting the manufacturer right off the bat that you have an out-of-warranty vehicle.

Depending on the kind of relationship you have with the dealership overall, they may be willing and able to assist you. This really should have been your first step as opposed to posting here.

If you did that already and didn't get the answer you were looking for, you're likely out of luck but could still try GM directly. There are a lot of "safety issues" with vehicles that need to be addressed. Worn tires and brakes come to mind, and you normally aren't going to get those covered by warranty...

I disagree.

Go back to the dealership and speak directly with the Service Manager. Ask if there's anything that they would be able to do to assist with the costs, or maybe even help to get it covered under warranty. If you call Customer Assistance, you're alerting the manufacturer right off the bat that you have an out-of-warranty vehicle.

Depending on the kind of relationship you have with the dealership overall, they may be willing and able to assist you. This really should have been your first step as opposed to posting here.

If you did that already and didn't get the answer you were looking for, you're likely out of luck but could still try GM directly. There are a lot of "safety issues" with vehicles that need to be addressed. Worn tires and brakes come to mind, and you normally aren't going to get those covered by warranty...

Feel free to disagree, I am just posting an actual experience. Have a few more but I will keep to myself since you don't agree

Ryan

The part that bothers me is the fact that the service advisors try to act like it isn't an option. You have to go over their heads and speak with a service manager. I thought their job was to take care of the customer. I even had a service advisor at another dealership tell me once that GM was a better company because they would help you out if you had issues right after the warranty was up. She said some other car companies don't do that.

People think of the service advisor as a mechanic but basically they are salesmen.

That means that the more work they convince you that your car needs; the more money that it puts in their pockets.

Go back to the dealership and speak with the service manager. He is your best friend in this situation. If they can't cover it completely, he should be able to get you assistance. I'm betting they'll cover it since you are a return customer.

Feel free to disagree, I am just posting an actual experience. Have a few more but I will keep to myself since you don't agree

Ryan

How old are you? 6?

I merely stated my belief that starting the discussion directly with the dealer is how I would approach it becaue it has worked for me and is based on -my- experience. You can opt to engage Customer Service at any point, but once they're in, they're in.

Try your best with the service manager before calling customer asst. They just turn around and call the service manager and discuss it with them. Service managers generally don't like it when customer service calls. They just get p### off. I think they feel you've gone behind their back. The decision usually rests with manager anyway. Personaly I don't see where you have anything coming. But I see "goodwill" all the time. And at much higher miles.

I know it's been a while, but I had an issue with my first GM truck purchase in the year 2000. The truck developed a shudder at take off at about 12,000 to 14,000 miles. I eventually took it in, and there was a TSB for the entire driveshaft assembly. The dealer replaced the assembly under warranty and everything seemed fine. Then, at about 37,000 miles the rear end started howling. Sure enough, the gears and bearings were junk, and needed to be replaced. I had never towed much with this truck, or treated the truck poorly, so it was obvious to me that the original driveshaft assembly caused the problems with the rear end. After a bit of reasonable negotiation, GM's area rep ended up paying for half of the bill, and giving me a voucher for the other half to use on a new truck. If I hadn't been in the market for a new truck at the time, I would have complained a bit more. In my case I felt that the cause of the issue was clearly the bad driveshaft assembly / shudder. Otherwise, it's not common to see a rear end fail so prematurely.

The bottom line is be cool, calm, collected, and persistent, and you may end up getting some of the repairs covered by GM.

Good luck!

I know it's been a while, but I had an issue with my first GM truck purchase in the year 2000. The truck developed a shudder at take off at about 12,000 to 14,000 miles. I eventually took it in, and there was a TSB for the entire driveshaft assembly. The dealer replaced the assembly under warranty and everything seemed fine. Then, at about 37,000 miles the rear end started howling. Sure enough, the gears and bearings were junk, and needed to be replaced. I had never towed much with this truck, or treated the truck poorly, so it was obvious to me that the original driveshaft assembly caused the problems with the rear end. After a bit of reasonable negotiation, GM's area rep ended up paying for half of the bill, and giving me a voucher for the other half to use on a new truck. If I hadn't been in the market for a new truck at the time, I would have complained a bit more. In my case I felt that the cause of the issue was clearly the bad driveshaft assembly / shudder. Otherwise, it's not common to see a rear end fail so prematurely.

The bottom line is be cool, calm, collected, and persistent, and you may end up getting some of the repairs covered by GM.

Good luck!

Are you certain your diff had oil? My diff started leaking (slowly) on a 2000 that I used to have. I just added GM's gear oil after every time I took it in for an oil change and never had an issue.

Good luck!

This is probably the most important guidance offered so far, and I'll add to it to be -reasonable-. If you have legitimate reasoning as to why GM should cover at least a portion of the bill, state it in a non-accusatory way.

The other life lesson I have learned is that it's all about what -I- need, not what the other party needs. "You need to fix this" is nowhere near as powerful as "I need your help in getting this addressed" is in getting them to take your side.

Archived