my bed lighting project

So I have been reading around the threads here and on other forums trying to decide what I was going to do for bed lighting. I use a truxedo lo-pro qt so sometimes getting things at night requires a flashlight or my cell phone. Seeing as the chevy kit is really expensive and doesn't put out that much light i figured id do something custom.

So I bought the gm harness (i believe that was $30) and 2 rolls of waterproof LED strip lighting ($10 each).

Cut the strips to size, soldered leads the cut sections and stuck them to the under side of the bed cover rails.

I used a strip of side emitting LEDs and a strip of standard LEDs, this way the light was thrown both down the bed walls and across the bed cover.

wired everything together and they came on first try.

Still meaning to do the cargo/reverse light hack so that they come on when i use my key fob. Also need to change out the stock cargo lights since now they look super duper yellow.

the parts

post-133811-0-16908100-1436186859_thumb.jpg

side emitting on the inside (right) standards on the outside (left)

post-133811-0-34849000-1436186582_thumb.jpg

When it was all finished

post-133811-0-79853600-1436186582_thumb.jpg

from the bottom of the driveway

post-133811-0-15547300-1436186583_thumb.jpg

so all in all for $50 and about 2 hours work. I am thrilled with the result.

My 8ft. has plenty of light with the GM ones. Plus no mod/hack to make them come on with the cargo light switch. Plug and play.

these come on with the cargo switch too. I was talking about the reverse light mod so that they come on whenever the reverse lights are on. Esentially just plugging the strip leads into the plug on the factory harness, very simple

these come on with the cargo switch too. I was talking about the reverse light mod so that they come on whenever the reverse lights are on. Esentially just plugging the strip leads into the plug on the factory harness, very simple

I know you mean (I think) when you say come on with the reverse lights you mean just when you hit unlock with the fob right? Just the way its worded had me thinking when you throw it in reverse to back out of somewhere those lights are gonna come on.

Anyway, I had the bed lights that came with my truck and the amount of light they omit is poor. I don't have a tonneau yet, it should be in any day now, but I cant imagine those 2 little lights lighting up my bed when its covered. I want to do something like this but not very knowledgeable in the electrical dept. Although you do make it sound very easy.

What would be nice is if it were possible to wire the lights so that they came on when the tailgate is opened, basically like how the cabin lights do when the doors are opened

well wiring them to the reverse lights will cause them to come on both when i hit the cargo switch and when ever the reverse lights are on. (though i only really care about when i use the key remote at night). I thought about using a pressure switch attached to the tailgate but that would be very involved. The reverse light mod is good because a quick hit of the unlock button on your keys will light them up for a short period.

Yeah thats true i mean its not like youll be in reverse for long anyway.

I am going to get some lights for the bed here soon. Would it be too much to get a detail description on how to do this when you get a chance (in any free time if you felt like it)?

On another note, how do you like that bedrug? On the verge of buying it as well. I just really like the concept of it making the bed surface even and not having to balance things in the bed, or having to crawl in and not worry about knees hurting. Also ease of cleaning.

Yeah thats true i mean its not like youll be in reverse for long anyway.

I am going to get some lights for the bed here soon. Would it be too much to get a detail description on how to do this when you get a chance (in any free time if you felt like it)?

On another note, how do you like that bedrug? On the verge of buying it as well. I just really like the concept of it making the bed surface even and not having to balance things in the bed, or having to crawl in and not worry about knees hurting. Also ease of cleaning.

as far as how its done:

i purchased the GM harness (part number 22878806)

this plugs into the port on the inside of the rear bumper.

Drivers side and passenger sides run up through the taillight openings and into the bed from there.

Then i cut off the factory light plug leaving just positive (red) and negative (black) leads.

The LED strips come pre wired with leads (if you cut them you have to solder new leads on to the remaining piece)

Then i just splice together all the reds and all the blacks on each side (multiple ways to do this)

Tape/ shrink tube/ otherwise seal connections and your done. Took me 2 lunch breaks at work to do.

As far as the bed rug is concerned:

I love it. I rarely move construction material so it was good for me. Hockey bag, golf bag, furniture, beach/boat gear all are well protected. if your moving construction material it might not be the best option. Depends what you use your truck for.

I love it. I rarely move construction material so it was good for me. Hockey bag, golf bag, furniture, beach/boat gear all are well protected. if your moving construction material it might not be the best option. Depends what you use your truck for.

NICE!!! Exactly what i want to hear. Nope no consturction or "work" stuff i move my baseball bag/equipment during the summer, furniture/moving related, and some camping or river floating stuff.

Thanks ill give that light stuff a go here soon since baseball has a week and half break coming up

I was thinking, since i already have the cargo/bed light switch, could i simply tap into the wires already running from the cab to the bed and solder the led strip to the existing wire and it work when i hit the switch in the cab?

• 11 months later...

Just got the bedrug a few weeks ago with the Chevy bowtie. It covers up the factory bed lights so Im going to have to cut out a small rectangle of the bedrug so the stock lights show.

I still have not got around to doing this mod yet but i definitely plan on it this summer.

I installed the bedrug after the lights were in. Simple to feel for the lights and then cut just enough to expose light. I cut it real tight then tucked the bedrug in behind the light housing. It will be no problem for ya.

I installed the bedrug after the lights were in. Simple to feel for the lights and the cut just enough to expose light. I cut it real tight then tucked the bedrug in behind the light housing. It will no problem for ya.

Ah good idea i would have cut a whole space for the light. Make sense, cut a small piece then tuck it. Will look into this some time this month

Archived