Chevy wants you to know that F-150's aluminum body sucks

Zane

I know they're aluminum.

...and putting my nom de plume in quotes is supposed to upset me? Really?

Hey! I know...let's take my post just a bit out of context so we can clog up a thread with irrelevancies and personal attacks.

Wait.....nevermind. :chill:

I put your name like that to separate it so you and other people knew I was saying your username. Wasn't trying to upset you so take the stick out of your ass and stop getting made people not everybody agrees with you. Looks like you're the one that needs the chill pill, I wasn't attacking you and didn't call you any names so it wasn't a personal attack. I was adding to what he said to make help you understand it better. You're the one taking it all the wrong way. You don't think I've been "attacked" on here and had more than one person go against what I said or my opinion? I just don't let it get to me and don't take it personal since it is the internet. Maybe you need thicker skin for a public forum. I wonder how long you'd last on the GM Fullsize forum.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering where GM is going with this.

They left the back door open with the slogan "Aluminum where it's needed and high strength steel where it count".

So when they figure a truck needs an aluminum body, they're good.

Or, and that's what I'd like to see, they're going to use plastic / synthetic materials in the future.

so long

j-ten-ner

the second video is partially right; remember the thread about the 2015 F150 owner that had to wait TWO MONTHS (EDIT: I checked the Thread, and as of July 1st, that truck is STILL At the Body Shop due to MORE Damaged aluminum parts being discovered!) for a Bedside to be shipped to the body shop?

I find this so funny.

I work for the aluminum company that makes the panels for the F150. Those panels are just as strong as the steel counterparts on the GM vehicles. The steel versus Aluminum debate is old and the public needs to get educated on the true properties of aluminum. They would not be using Aluminum on military vehicles if it did not provide the strength needed to do the job right and protect our troops in combat.

GM had an opportunity to go aluminum and passed it up. They also had the first look at the ecoboost engine tech, and passed that up as well. That's why there old CEO got outed. Now they are upset they can't get in the game. GM isn't taking risks and they need to if they are going to capture more market share.

I'm waiting to see the long game on this. I love my GM. I think it looks better and drives better. It just needs more power in the smaller engine platform.

Throw a turbo on a 5.3 and see if sales don't skyrocket. 490lb/ft of torque with 25MPG Now that's a combo that would wake me up to go to the dealer to put my money down on.

GM's pass on aluminum happened via filing bankruptcy. It has been noted multiple times they were looking into it, but shelved the R&D after the filing. Have never heard nor read the eco boost turbo set up was purchased by Ford vs developed in house?

I work for the aluminum company that makes the panels for the F150. Those panels are just as strong as the steel counterparts on the GM vehicles. The steel versus Aluminum debate is old and the public needs to get educated on the true properties of aluminum. They would not be using Aluminum on military vehicles if it did not provide the strength needed to do the job right and protect our troops in combat.

GM had an opportunity to go aluminum and passed it up. They also had the first look at the ecoboost engine tech, and passed that up as well. That's why there old CEO got outed. Now they are upset they can't get in the game. GM isn't taking risks and they need to if they are going to capture more market share.

GM's pass on aluminum happened via filing bankruptcy. It has been noted multiple times they were looking into it, but shelved the R&D after the filing. Have never heard nor read the eco boost turbo set up was purchased by Ford vs developed in house?

Yep, your right. The bankruptcy did not allow them to spend the money needed to make the aluminum transition happen. Timing is everything.

As far as the Ecoboost goes, we totally dismissed this as an emerging tech way back in the day.

FEV engineering started this journey back in 2007. They have over 100 patents on the tech. They shopped around their idea and Ford took the opportunity to work together with them to debut their first 1.6L Ecoboost in the Lincoln C concept in 2009. America didn't accept this small 3 cylinder engine but it rolled right into the European market with great success, so Ford rolled the dice and brought it stateside with the C Max. After continual evolutions with displacement and multiple turbos, we now have the 3.5 twin turbo Ecoboost in 2010 that debuted with 365 hp and 420 lb·ft of torque.

Ford never said it was their idea, they had the capital and the foresight to see that this was going to be big down the road. They took the chance to partner with another team to pull this tech from concept to reality very quickly.

Now everyone else is trying to catch up. These Ecoboost engines have taken over Ford's line up. The next generation 3.5 is expected to make 500 lb·ft of torque. No one else is going to be able to touch that without a turbo or going diesel and still get +20 MPG.

It's going to be interesting to see where this takes us down the road. Have to love innovation!

Waiting for Toyota to come out with a 3/4 ton diesel.

They had it ready years ago, like back when the first real full-size Tundra came out- 07-09 somewhere but like GM I think they backed down when the economy tanked.

Wait until ford makes a video showing how the K2XX tahoe and suburban steel roof's are detaching from the supports. [emoji38]

And remember all that leaked info about the k2xx mules witu aluminum bodies

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Archived