Homelink 3 feet max distance

Anyone else having problem with the Homelink garage door opener? Mine will only work if I am nosed in to within 3 ft. of the garage door. If I back up 10 ft., or if I back into the space, it will not open the door.

I have 2 other Homelink units in Jeep Grand Cherokees, had a Homelink in the '11 GMC Denali I traded in on this Chevy, and the original remotes that came with my Craftsman opener and ALL of the others open the garage door from between 50 to 100 feet. It is DEFINITELY NOT my Craftsman opener.

I have erased and reprogrammed the Homelink at least 10 times. It takes the programming right by the book, LED flashes exactly as specified in the book, and it works 100% of time.....FROM 3 feet......but no further.

Jerry

'15 Chevy 3500 HD Duramax High Country

I got the snow plow prep version that doesn't have the garage door opener in the overhead. I just went and got a couple of handheld openers, one is now on the visor, and it opens the garage door from about 100 feet away. I had the homelink thing on my 2013 1500, but I think I like this setup better.

I have one homelink button that refuses to link up with any of my garage doors.The other work fine but I did have to pull head first up to the door to get it to link up.It will work from maybe 50ft away which is fine but I need to take her in and get my dealer to fix the other button. Its on my to do list

Thanks for the replies folks. I vented my spleen in the other thread.

The dealer replaced my transmitter yesterday. He did not have one in stock so he swapped on out of another truck that came in at the same time mine did.

It gave me about another 10 feet of distance but only if I am pulled nose in to the garage and less than 15 feet from the door. It will not work if I back in, even if I am within 2 feet of the door. Nor will it work from ANY distance coming up my driveway since my garage is on the end of the house. I have to make the turn onto my parking pad and be nose in toward the garage and within 15 feet of the door. The only problem with that is that I have 2 cars that are usually parked there and the truck gets parked about 30 feet off to the side.

I currently have 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees with Homelink, the '11 GMC 3500 I traded in had Homelinke, and the 2 original Craftsman remotes with 5 year old batteries and they ALL open my garage door from 50 to 100 feet down the driveway coming in perpendicular to the house.

These units are defective and Chevy, or GM, needs to replace them. $70K sticker for a new truck and they can't put a functioning $25 garage door opener in it.

I currently have 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees with Homelink, the '11 GMC 3500 I traded in had Homelinke, and the 2 original Craftsman remotes with 5 year old batteries and they ALL open my garage door from 50 to 100 feet down the driveway coming in perpendicular to the house.

These units are defective and Chevy, or GM, needs to replace them. $70K sticker for a new truck and they can't put a functioning $25 garage door opener in it.

This is the information that the dealership needs to get your truck fixed. I'm sure you have told them that by now. Is it possible to have a tech or a GM rep come to your house to see exactly what is going on, just for visual proof? Not saying your lying by any means, it only works in your favor if you can replicate the problem in front of them.

This is the information that the dealership needs to get your truck fixed. I'm sure you have told them that by now. Is it possible to have a tech or a GM rep come to your house to see exactly what is going on, just for visual proof? Not saying your lying by any means, it only works in your favor if you can replicate the problem in front of them.

Yep, I told them about all of the other Homelinks working from over 50 feet. I sent in a inquiry on the Chevy Customer Service web site to see what they say. The dealer I bought the truck from is about 70 miles down the road and I don't want to keep making 140 mile round trips just to have them keep putting in the same poor quality units.....after they tell me they don't have them in stock and I'll have to come back when it comes in. Push comes to shove I guess I'll have to go to a local dealer here in Augusta but I've had bad experiences with both of their shops. Both are typical GI town, high employee turnover dealerships. .

Maybe Chevy will own up to the problem and tell me they have a solution........dreamin'....I'm always dreamin'.

GM Customer service referred me to Homelink.

"We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you, and we are more than glad to point you in the right direction. For the best possible assistance, please contact HomeLink at (800) 355-3515. They will be able to provide you with the appropriate assistance with the remote concern on your vehicle."

I think I will just go out in the back yard and pee into the wind.

I spoke with Homelink. They say the problem is where GM is locating the transmitters in the truck. He said he is getting hundreds of calls about this problem. He said he wasn't exactly sure where they were locating the transmitters but it was probably a location with too much metal shielding or up behind the dash where there was RF interference from the radio/satellite/navigation units.

He advised me to try and have my dealership relocate my transmitter. I'm guessing they are not going to want to do there unless Chevrolet gives them the word.

So......I noticed there are other people having the same problem and some who say it is working fine. I would be curious as to a comparison of whether the ones working and not working are in a vehicle with satellite radio/navigation/MyLink or not.

As a side note.....the Homelink guy said that Audi owners can usually open their garages from 3 blocks away because Audi locates their transmitters right behind the grill encased in weatherproof plastic.

Jerry

'15 3500 HD High Country 4x4

Dealer ordered a new Homelink unit last week and installed it today (#3 counting the original). Still does not work unless I have the front end of the truck within 5 or 6 feet of the garage door. Will not work at all from my driveway. My garage is on the side of the house and I have to make the turn on my parking pad and pull nose up to the door. Will not work if I back up to the door. My other 2 Homelink units in my Jeeps and the 2 original remotes sill work from 50 feet + coming up the driveway. I have asked the dealer to call GM and try to get a rep to come to my house. Doubt that will happen but I don't know what else to do.

I love the truck but simple little things like a working garage door opener bug the hell out of me.

The dealership assistant service manager called today. He said he had been in contact with GM about my HomeLink problems. They wanted him to get me to take pictures of the side of my garage door opener where the controls and data plate are and the back where the name and model number are. He said GM told him they "may" be able to make me a special unit that will work better with my opener. It's just an old standard Craftsman rolling code opener so there is no magic to it. I told them to just buy a HomeLink unit from Jeep and snap it in there since both of my Jeeps will open the door from 100 feet away. Can't be that much different since they both snap into the overhead console.

It would be great if they could cobble something together that would work but I'm not going to hold my breath. I have to give the dealer service department credit though. They haven't thrown their hands up in the air and give up like some service departments would do.

'15 Sierra SLE 4x4 DC with the SLE Value Package. Navigation, heated seats, towing package.

Mine works flawlessly and I routinely get the door to start opening at a distance of about 150' while still in the road and perpendicular to the garage. Liftmaster opener / remote that's about 25-30 years old. I don't believe it's a rolling code system, but haven't actually researched it. Single 16' door, one opener.

In another thread, there was a comment made about putting fresh batteries in the stock opener before programming, and I think there may be some merit to this - at least enough to give it a try. And, don't park right in front of the door while you're programming - stay back at least 15-20' just for the fun of it.

Yep....I put a new battery in the remote after getting the second HomeLink unit. Cleared all the programming with the two finger salute and reprogrammed. It did not make any difference in the distance. I've pretty well given up on ever getting a useable working unit but will continue to aggravate them about it as a point of order.

I still think my idea was the best. I told them to go buy a HomeLink unit for an '11 or '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee and stick it in there and it will work.

Try extending the antenna on the RECEIVER. Attach a piece of wire that you can stretch out and staple to the wall or ceiling in side the garage. See if it makes a difference.

Archived