Max tow package

I'm looking at getting a new pick up (haven't had one for years ... last one was a mid 80's F250 with a propane conversion) and am trying to decide on which model. I'm looking at the GMC Sierra double cab 4x4 with the 5.3l engine. My dealer has units with and without the max trailer tow package. I'll be using the truck for carting supplies for home renovations, the odd hunting trip and occasional towing of a 5,000lb boat. Given that it's available I like the idea of the greater payload/towing capacity ... I also like the mirrors that come with the max trailer package. What kind of mileage difference will I see with the 3.73 axle on the max tow vs 3.42? Is there any other downside in going with max trailer package?

I don't experience any downsides. I avg 18-19 with 60/40 hwy/city. That's what it was a few months ago. Haven't really thought to check recently but always have the same driving habits. I have 20k on my 15 now and no issues or regrets. I haul with it a few times a week grabbing left over roof materials or if I have to get some windows out to the crews. I've had it loaded to the max a bunch of times now. Handles it well.

20150526_100139_001.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I would assume that city mileage will be pretty much the same as the higher ratio (3.42/3.23/3.08) axles ... would only be hwy miles that would suffer with 3.73. I'm probably going to be doing 70% city/30% hwy so I don't think I would see huge difference in mileage.

No problem man. All city/running around town I'm at 15-16. I was on the fence between an HD and 1500. The max tow made the most sense. I could of used an HD, but not HD fuel mileage or diesel cost. I drive a LOT so wanted something a little better on gas and still capable. I'm not hauling or towing HD loads yet, but this truck has been perfect for what I needed it for.

I upgraded from a 5.3 NHT to a 2500 Duramax to resolve tow quality issues. The actual costs so far are nearly identical. With my NHT I was getting around 15-16 city and 20-22 @ 73. With my duramax I'm around 14 city (current tank with 360 miles @14.2) and 20-22 at 70-73. The cool thing is I don't have to deal with 10mpg city in the winter anymore.

Based on oil life display my oil changes will be a little more frequent (~8k) and my fuel filters should last close to 30k.

Go Max hands down!! Won't be disappointed!! Is this a 14 or a 15 that your looking at? I didn't want anything less and hwy is not effected nor is it in town either. There is less of an engine load with a deeper gear so it's typically a misconception that gears effect mileage. Lets face it... it's a truck... it's going to be a tough cookie to get the mileage. But I will say mine easily gets 20-21 depending on level of road and wind at 70. I usually average 16-17 in town with my 8 mile drives to work with good traffic. Pulling a 3800lb boat/trailor usually can see almost 13. Once you get use to the V4 mode and when it works you can use it to your advantage cept during towing. Good luck!

Max tow for sure. I get between 16-17 (hand calculated) on my weekly commute to work and back with stop lights every mile. About a 20 mile round trip. I haven't hit 20mpg (hand calc) on the highway yet, but only did a highway trip once with 300 miles on the clock and got 19.3mpg about 75mph average. I hope after it loosens up I'll get 20, haha.

Looks like no real downside to the max tow!

Sooperdave - I'm looking at a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT -- now have to decide if I want black or white and which options I want to pay for.

I've never used park sensors before ...do those of you who have the front park sensor find it useful?

Looks like no real downside to the max tow!

Sooperdave - I'm looking at a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT -- now have to decide if I want black or white and which options I want to pay for.

I've never used park sensors before ...do those of you who have the front park sensor find it useful?

As someone with crappy depth perception, they have come in quite handy.

I just pulled my first trailer with my '15 MaxTow. I'm extremely hard to impress, and the truck blew me away. Pulling a 4k trailer from 1k elevation to 7k was nothing for the truck. I averaged 15mpg roundtrip and I'm sure I could've gotten a bit better, but I wanted to see what she had in her. Holding 85mph up the steep climbs was a cakewalk. She didn't like to be stuck in cruise control during the long runs uphill, but if I had control of the pedal, she'd stay at whatever speed I asked of it.

Archived