Driving in M5 all the time

Ok so I've had my truck a week now and I love everything about it except the worthless AFM. Would it affect the longevity of the engine and or transmission to just leave it in M5 all the time ? Would the extra rpms take a toll over time on the engine ? I have the 3:42 ratio. It pulls just fine in 6th gear when it's in V8 mode so I know it's the AFM causing the delay. And also I'm thinking by not letting the AFM operate it would prevent any possible oil consumption issues that some have had with the AFM system.

Get a Range AFM disabler. Had mine since the truck was new, no issues so far. No delay due to AFM. And if you just wanted to leave it in M5 all the time it wouldn't hurt it at all. My 02 runs 2k RPM's constantly cruising at 60mph. Round 2500-2700 at highway speeds

I thought about maybe getting the range but I don't want it to throw codes and cause lights to come on in the dash. I've heard a few people have had that issue. Mainly I just want to know if there is any harm in the higher rpms associated with driving in M5. I doubt it it is. But if rather be on the safe side. A complete tune is out of the question simply because of warranty issues.

• Like 1

^ This. Isn't there a plug in module that disables AFM? The Range or something?

Yeah, that's what I use. Range AFM Disabler.

Sent from Tapatalk App - Samsung S6

There are times when I know I want instant throttle response, like when I'm driving in rush hour traffic trying to merge onto the freeway off a tight cloverleaf ramp. Since I drive this route daily, I tend to put the trans in the manual select mode ahead of time. But mostly, I drive around in the full auto mode. Seems to work for me.

• Like 1

Only had mine for a month now but I have started keeping mine in M5 if I am in start and stop traffic slower than 45 mph. Other than that I usually keep it in auto. Kind of like drive and overdrive in my 01 Sierra. Just doesn't seem to have good response at those lower speeds to me

Only had mine for a month now but I have started keeping mine in M5 if I am in start and stop traffic slower than 45 mph. Other than that I usually keep it in auto. Kind of like drive and overdrive in my 01 Sierra. Just doesn't seem to have good response at those lower speeds to me

I've done pretty much the same with every automatic I've owned- locking out overdrive helps in town a bunch. The Jeep has no way to do this beyond using the autostick feature but it's geared low anyhow so it doesn't bog down much.

I've had my 2015 Silverado C1500 Double Cab 5.3L with Max Tow and E85 since 5/5/15. I live in rural central Texas and most of my driving is highway. My truck stays in 4 cylinder mode about 3/4 of the time.

I have no problem with that. My fuel mileage on the highway is about 23 MPG with regular top tier gasoline. It's about 19 MPG with E85. I see no reason to lock out 4 cylinder mode. Am I missing something?

• Like 2

Click the fuelly link in my signature. With AFM disabled, my MPGs are the same if not better (the lines with notes gave AFM disabled )

Main reason for AFM disable is the annoying sound with aftermarket muffler onload, and then the constant shift back and for when going around 65mph.

Sent from Tapatalk App - Samsung S6

• Like 1

My truck stays in 4 cylinder mode at 70MPH, unless I'm headed into a stiff wind or going up a hill. I suppose the 3.73 rear end causes the truck to stay in 4 cylinder mode almost all the time.

My truck is stock and I plan on keeping it that way.

• Like 2

Why is it such a big deal to not have it go into v4? I wish my denali would do it more. Mine is pretty seamless and I have to check the display to even see if it is in v4. I did notice it goes into v4 less when I went with the gm 22s vs the denali 20s, not sure what happened but still can get over 22+mpg on the hwy.

Does the 8sp make that much difference going from 4 to 8 and vice versa? It must be really bad for some of you guys to change it and risk your warranty

Edited by hurricanoday
  • Like 1