Towing with 6.0 Engine? Or Do I Really Need A Diesel?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tests are generally "impromptu" and they usually don't even know what they are driving. It's not a baseline for anything... but hey... it was posted on YouTube so it must be godspeak right? Like I said. .. trash. At least GM realized that as underpowered as those trucks are offering 373 gears was a terrible idea and now you have 410 only once again.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

There is that perception, then there is the market place. There are significant number of GM 2500/3500 pickups used commercially. Probably upwards of 75% of all HD sales are for commercial purposes. Of those HD in commercial use, it is probably at a least a 3 to 1 or ever higher ratio of gas to diesel powered. Most of the agriculture service cooperatives in my area have their 2500's using gas nowadays because they have gotten burned on the diesel emissions junk, and on a cost / benefit ratio, diesel doesn't make the cut. And those pickups frequently haul totes of chemicals or pallets of other materials, and tow 2 or 3 anhydrous ammonia tank trailers of 1000 gallons each to an from farm operations. All with those little underpowered, pathetic, 6.0L gas motors. Makes me wonder... what do all those commercial users know that you seem to be missing? And it is from talking with and observing what the commercial users in my are are doing, that helped in my decision to go with the 6.0L in my 2015 2500. And I have not regretted the move one little bit.

Now if my needs would have been to commercially tow finished travel trailers to dealers from the factories year round and nation wide, sure, I would have gotten a diesel. That kind of thing, diesel shines and offers the best cost / benefit ratio. Likewise, if I was hauling livestock in a gooseneck trailer weekly or some other purpose that required heavy towing on a constant basis. If I was a snowbird that was frequently traveling the country and towing a large 5th wheel travel tailer. There are many situations where a diesel is a very good option. But there are significantly more where the 6.0L is more than up to the task. Then there are weather related issues that make gas a better option. Those of us with extensive diesel experience in some really nasty cold weather are quite aware of the additional problems of diesels in extreme cold. All it takes is just one time of dealing with a choked up fuel filter along side the road at -20F to cure any ideas of how glorious diesels are. Diesels demand much more user attention on a number of levels. One has to just factor all the variables and determine if a gas motor will suffice or that they can justify the diesel.

Unlike yourself I actually work commercially in a world of 6 liter trucks.... why do you think i had so many of the dam things? Not only that I came from agriculture and was a commercial truck and heavy equupment operator..... no.... I dont have any diesel experience whatsoever. Oil and gas is driven here by gas engine heavy duty pickups.... not diesels. Yeah sure your farmer world runs them too on a company level especially for the exact same reason. They don't care about power... plain and simple. The commercial guys here are to the point they not only run a speed GPS they will.monitor heavy acceleration and braking. Yeah i am sure they really care how much horsepower and torque the truck makes. It's not even on the radar when a commercial company buys a 3/4 ton. Is it cheap to maintain? Yep. Does it have a reasonable service life? Yep. So run them. That said they dump them long before 100000 miles too so as long as it can handle 75000 or so trouble free... great! Whether the thing is a completely gutless bag is irrelevant as long as it gets there eventually. There were just as many 5.4 powered Ford F250's and F350's in the commercial world here as there was 6 liter GM trucks. Put a load in the back of those heaps and good luck maintaining 65 mph on a 1% grade lol.

Is the op a commercial user? No. So would he really care about all this commercial use BS?.... not a chance. So do you think the 5.4 triton was a good choice and a competent performing heavy duty truck engine? I really doubt it.... and no I don't need stories about cam phasers and spark plugs on the Fords... it's the performance aspect here. Stop fighting on points that have no relevance to the discussion.

Enjoy your 6 liter HD lol.

You ASSume too much. My 2015 2500 6.0L is dual purpose, both personal and business use. And I do have a very close relationship with the business users of 2500/3500 pickups in my area. They seem to be just fine with the 6.0L, else, they wouldn't buy them. And commercial users are a good source of data on how things hold up. Unlike the ego chasers that put 8" pipes in the back of their beds and go out and do the "rolling coal" thing on city streets to shore up their self esteem. And unlike your assumption that business users cycle thru vehicles when the warranty runs out, a lot of small business users hold onto pickups. When we buy vehicles, they are in it for the long haul. The mega fleets have their ideas of things, but that is not what is practical for the rest of the business community.

We on a ego trip with the "unlike yourself, I actually work commercially in the world of 6 liter trucks" comment are we? Well, I not only work in the world of trucks, I actually own and operate a commercial trucking operation that includes everything form 6L up to 15L engines. I pay the bills. I know what works best for the application it is intended. I don't cycle thru vehicles based on when the warranty runs out. A vehicle and drivetrain combination is selected based on several factors, but longevity, reliability, and durability all factors in as well. I am not against diesel in any application. I go thru well over 20,000 gallons of diesel a year. But I also know when it is not cost effective for me to go diesel.

Yeah, I guess your right. All this commercial BS stuff. They don't put near the demands on a pickup like the average weekender and daily commuter does. But it really doesn't matter. I am happy with the 6.0L in my 2500, it handles the rather steep grade gravel roads and farm land where it operates and does so hauling or towing. But then, I am not trying to run 75 mph across those. It can pull a fuel wagon thru the soft farm ground just fine, it can pull a hopper wagon down the road without any issues. Matter of fact, two of them in tandem. Now true, it is very infrequent that it is called upon to do those things, that is why I didn't feel the need to go diesel. It hauls more than it tows. And the advantages of gas over diesel when the temps are -25F and a snow storm in going on out in our rural area where the auto club is not going to show up plays into it as well. Especially when the wife has to go to town during a snow storm and I am on business two states away and cannot just drop everything to go change a gelled fuel filter in the pickup back home if it was a diesel. I don't need to put her life at risk, dozens of miles from town, in a snow storm because I had some macho impression of wanting a diesel in my pickup and make a fashion statement and now she is sitting along side the road freezing because the fuel gelled up. Each of us has our own needs and situational demands. Diesel is great in some of those. Gassers are great in others.

And you ASSume as well.. but by your track record on the forum thats a norm for you. I actually own and operate the company I work for. I run my own trucks commercially as well with employees and all... and will never... ever buy a gutless, useless 6 liter HD.

Your reading comprehension is also terrible... no wonder as you are cross eyed from writing a book for every reply. I don't own nor ever want a diesel pickup truck. Stop going on and on about things that don't matter... please, read that.

I don't doubt your experiences but you act like you and only you are the one that knows anything about commercial operations which gets pathetic. Not only that you defend like I am trying to talk you out of your truck. .. guess what... I don't care what you drive or don't. Doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

Please... give it a rest. Your novels are getting old. But there is no winning with you and you will write another story time novel about more things that are irrelevant. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I would check out TFL truck....I think that short of doing the gauntlet every day or having a some kind of commercial OTR business...the 6.0 will do just fine. Payload specifications are pretty darn close...bumper pull ratings are right there and you save some up front money. RV parks are full of 38' 11K TTs and some 14K fifth wheels being pulled just fine by 6.0s. Don't get me wrong love my duramax...but my neighbor has an '07 6.0 suburban that pulled his old park model TT. He never complained about it. I only bought a duramax because I could. http://www.tfltruck.com/2015/04/selection-process-2015-chevy-silverado-2500-hd-6-0l-wins-gold-hitch-award-video/

• 2 weeks later...

Like the above poster I bought the diesel because I could. I test drove the 6 litre and the Duramax both towing my boat, Diesel won hands down.

Will there be issues in the future, yes but I like many other pleased Duramax folks have assumed those risks.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

That is true. If one is going to be running the high country, having the air shoved into the cylinders is always a plus. I suppose it could be argued effectively that putting a supercharger on the 6.0L would be a cheaper alternative as well. There are many solutions if one looks.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you really suggesting buying a new 6.0 and supercharging it as opposed to just buying a duramax? Good god, man.. Now I've seen it all!

Yes, toss your warranty, resale and any hopes of acceptable fuel mileage out the window just so that you can get the beloved end-all-be-all 6.0. Spend as much as you would have on a duramax but still have less power, no exhaust brake, no warranty, scary bad fuel mileage, questionable durability and a transmission that isn't designed for those power levels.

Sounds like an effective argument and reasonable solution to me.

No... just saying that any motor, regardless of fuel, will always do much better at altitude when air is shoved down its throat, and it is always an option. You are the one that is taking the comment to melodramatic levels. If I was running at altitude a lot while towing, I would opt for a diesel as well. For the reason mentioned. Try not to read too much into a post. It isn't dignified.

• 3 months later...

Archived