One Thousand, Four Hundred Million For GM Plant in TX

Gorehamj

GM-Arlington-billions.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7/17/2015

General Motors is one of the many automotive companies expanding in the U.S. However, very few can match its latest commitment to the Arlington, TX plant. GM is investing not $100 Million, not $500 Million, but rather one thousand four hundred million dollars in the plant. This money will go to modernizing the plant to make better full-size SUVs. Imagine 1,400 bundles of one million dollars. You'd need 5,600 good-sized duffel bags to hold that amount of cash if it was all in Benjamins.

GM worker arlington.jpg

Cathy Clegg, GM North America Manufacturing and Labor Relations vice president said that “This super-sized investment reflects GM’s commitment to our full-size SUV customers who expect nothing but the absolute best from us and their vehicles. Today’s investment will contribute to Arlington Assembly’s winning tradition marked by strong customer focus, innovative thinking and teamwork.”

For more on the Arlington plant, please see our prior story called "GM's friendly 'Howdy' to Toyota in Texas."

GM worker arlington.jpg

GM worker arlington.jpg

GM worker arlington.jpg

sort of like $10,000 million which is what GM still owes the taxpayers who bailed you out of bankruptcy. Some of us have not forgotten...

They already paid that back. I don't remember taxes going up because of it so what's the big deal on what that money was actually used for? I'd rather have that money spent to help GM stay alive than pay people on welfare (the ones that could work but won't, I know some people really need it).

I do respect Ford for not taking the bailout, but the reason they didn't is because they didn't need to after mortgaging all of their assets including the blue oval logo itself. That's still better than taking the bailout, but just making it clear that Ford was in trouble also.

Maybe these trucks will be reliable now, after all this money is spent? :dunno:

A set of ball joints that can make it to 40k miles in the Northeastern USA would be a nice improvement ...

Maybe these trucks will be reliable now, after all this money is spent? :dunno:

A set of ball joints that can make it to 40k miles in the Northeastern USA would be a nice improvement ...

You have got to be the only person I know who has had so many front end issues on the 900-sires trucks.

Strange, because your the ONLY person I know that hasn't!

My 2006 is on originals at 126,000 miles..... Glad to see GM investing in an American plant. Love my Michigan built GM.

Michigan? One of the few. A lot of 1500 ext cabs were built in Oshawa

There's thousands and thousands of these trucks on the roads do they all have front end problems?

In MA? YES. The rest of the country actually uses the money they extort from the populace to PAVE their roads.

In MA, the only roads that get paved are close to Boston, where all the politicians live & work. I live nowhere near Boston. Rt. 495 running north/south in the eastern part of the state has been paved 5 or 6 times in my life, while the road I live on hasn't been paved in 60 years! A dirt road would be smoother ...

Thing of it is, the roads have historically ALWAYS been like this. They were worse when I was a kid. I don't remember my dad or grandfather ever doing front end work in those days. It was very rare. Today, it's part of regular maintenance!

So, explain to me what has changed?

Archived