power steering problems

I just picked up the car...while we couldn't exactly duplicate the issue they knew I wasn't bringing in the car for my health...after some investigating they found an issue with the steering shaft lower bearing adapter and replaced that. I'm hoping that was e cause and it's all fixed now. After replacement, the tech did an overnight road test with no issues.

• 3 months later...

Identical failure here.

2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ Texas Edition, 43,000 miles. Was driving when suddenly had a EPS failure - Scared the living daylight.

CAlled GM Help line, was asked to get the truck towed to a dealer. VIN not covered by the recall. Been waiting for two days so far to get a diagnostic.

This is a major safety issue - Would be interesting to see how GM is going to handle it - Stay tuned.

• 1 year later...

I have 2015 Silverado Z71 4x4 with level kit. I started having noise in steering after 15,000 miles. Dealership told me the rack and pinion gear was bad and replaced the rack. Three weeks later the noise returned. I brought the truck back to same dealer, however this time they blamed the aftermarket kit. I spoke with fabtech and five other life companies who all told me the level kit in no way shape or form should be causing the steering gear to fail. My truck is an early model 2015 which uses the same rack and pinion which is used on the 2014's. GM just recalled the 14's for faulty steering gear as result of defective tie rods. Looks like early 15's have same issue but GM won't fix the problem and dealership rather play blame game rather then standing by their products.

• 7 months later...

Search the forums -- this has been discussed a ton.  Check your G218 ground.  There is also a PIT bulletin showing the Techs what to check.  Search for things like "G218 ground", "PIT5405", and "electrical issues fixed".

I have 2015 Silverado Z71 4x4 with level kit. I started having noise in steering after 15,000 miles. Dealership told me the rack and pinion gear was bad and replaced the rack. Three weeks later the noise returned. I brought the truck back to same dealer, however this time they blamed the aftermarket kit. I spoke with fabtech and five other life companies who all told me the level kit in no way shape or form should be causing the steering gear to fail. My truck is an early model 2015 which uses the same rack and pinion which is used on the 2014's. GM just recalled the 14's for faulty steering gear as result of defective tie rods. Looks like early 15's have same issue but GM won't fix the problem and dealership rather play blame game rather then standing by their products.

Retorgue your upper coil over bolts. I believe they should be 38 ftlbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Just ran into this problem with my 2015 Chevy 1500 4.3 liter. Was driving in San Diego during the crazy rain we’ve had and went through a puddle and boom no power steering. I have Custom long travel front and rear, so when I took it to the dealer I was skeptical. They of course wouldn’t touch it and said it was $1100 for the new steering rack and motor plus $800-$1300 for labor. The truck being a Prerunner and me being in Mexico all the time chasing races I decided to ditch the electric system and go back to the older hydraulic steering system. I spoke with Dirty Dingo today and ordered the Gen V power steering pump brackets, and Gen V LS water pump adapters. I also ordered the 1995  Silverado power steering pump, LS style water pump, 2006 hydraulic rack and pinion, Gen V Corvette Vacuum pump block off kit, and will be tying the vacuum line into the intake manifold. I haven’t seen this done yet anywhere on any forum or YouTube so I’ll document everything. I’m pretty experienced when it comes to fabricating and working on my own stuff but I’m still not looking forward to this. In total for all the parts it set me back $895. Still cheaper than a new EPS unit and in my opinion much more reliable. Any input or issues from you guys would be great as this is my first post on this forum. Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silveradosid said:

you will probably end up with steering assist codes without the eps

I ran a search for trouble codes on my work scanner and couldn’t find any for power steering. I’m having a buddy who is a programmer look into it and see if he can wipe it. I previously had him delete the traction control while maintaining ABS, so I’m confident he can figure it out. If not I’m not super worried about it. My plates don’t require emissions testing and I already have a lot of other warnings that pop up from the Modifications I’ve done. Thanks for the input tho!