Looking at a 2015 2500HD Z71...

Back to the war of attrition... The truck I was offered, an LTZ, had been built for someone else and specially ordered so I was unable to get it but wait! We have a 2015 GMC Sierra SLE 4WD for the same price (as the original Silverado 2500, 2wd, 2500 4WD, 2500 LZ71, 2500 LTZ)... MSRP be damned! This one’s going for pennies on the dollar...

I did a custom order and got exactly what I wanted. Worked with a really good dealer and sat right next to the guy entering the order so I could validate everything (boy there is a ton of possible options for the HD's). Spent almost a year researching trucks and if I had to do it again, I would place the exact same order.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true, but until we have some firm data on how good the MPG is with a 6.2L Ecotec moving around the same weight as the base 2500HD, it is an apples to oranges comparison. I am still waiting for someone to load up a 1500 to a GVW of 7300 lb like my 2500, empty, with two people, and full of fuel, then run it around for a few months, and then fill us in on what the MPG is. And the 6.2L Ecotec requires premium fuel. Whereas the L96 6.0 can use anything at a pump but diesel. So even if the MPG is a little better with the 6.2L, the cost per mile is not as good. Right now from numbers I have gathered, a 6.2L Ecotec has to get 3-4 MPG better just to break even on a cost per mile basis. It does right now in a 1500, but we are back to the same issue.... it is not moving around the same weight. My 6.0L would get better MPG if it had to move around 1000 lb less too.

And the L96 has a great track record behind it. A very solid, dependable motor with a demonstrated longevity. It is not uncommon for them to be at 300K or more miles and still be performing great. And it is true, that peak torque and HP is up in the 4000+ range, the L96 has 90% of its available torque at 2000 RPM, and a flatter torque curve than the 6.2L Ecotec. It is a very well designed motor and setup. The exhaust system on the 2500, except for the trash can muffler, is darn near perfect for the 6.0L. GM did good.

The one thing I can't stand with the new 5.3 (presuming 6.2 is the same) is gas mileage during the winter. Worse than my L92. I agree with you though.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Asked the dealer to add on some different running boards, spray in bed liner & undercoating (I live on the coast) to to what they counter offered and they agreed, so it looks as if I'm picking up a Silver 2015 GMC Sierra SLE 4X4 on Friday. First Jimmy I've owned... being a Ford guy and all...

The mileage I got with my Eco-boost was 13-16 in the city (usually 'round 15) and 16-18 on the highway (usually 16.5 to 17), though I did get 22 on the highway in the Ft Davis, Tx area... Had to take a picture.

Damn good looking truck and she handles real well... Should handle my 8K lb. Airstream just fine in the mountains. More to come as the experience unfolds...

Thanks for the assistance and recommendations!

Wow. My 2015 2500 6.0L is averaging the same mpg as your Eco-boost did. Haven't hit 22 mpg with it, and likely won't, but the averages are similar.

That mileage stock and non towing?

Yup, stock, non-towing. Towing a 25' Airstream, 8K lbs. +/- from San Antone to Ft. Davis, I got anywhere from 9 to 11 mpg. and this was on straight interstate with little variation in topography over all.

A friend who has a 2014 F150 eco boost gets much better mileage in the city and highway solo (averages 18 in the city and 21-22 on the highway) and with his 5th wheel, anywhere from 11 to 15. He just traded for a 2015 with the aluminum body... Not sure what his gas figures are yet but probably similar if not a bit better.

Yup, stock, non-towing. Towing a 25' Airstream, 8K lbs. +/- from San Antone to Ft. Davis, I got anywhere from 9 to 11 mpg. and this was on straight interstate with little variation in topography over all.

A friend who has a 2014 F150 eco boost gets much better mileage in the city and highway solo (averages 18 in the city and 21-22 on the highway) and with his 5th wheel, anywhere from 11 to 15. He just traded for a 2015 with the aluminum body... Not sure what his gas figures are yet but probably similar if not a bit better.

That's horrible unloaded. I would get your towing mpg with my 14 5.3 nht

Took delivery yesterday of my new 2015 GMC Sierra SLE. Beautiful truck marred only by the incredibly sloppy job performed by the Neanderthals who sprayed in the bedliner... There is over spray, a lot, on the rear door handles and all around the rear window not to mention a deep gouge in the plastic cap on the tailgate edge...! The dealer contracts out undercoating & bedliners... The salesman was livid, seemed to take it harder than I. Anyway, taking her back in Monday and they'll clean her up.

So far, I'm getting about 10.5 average mpg driving city & rural, must be the drag caused by the over spray... ;) . Expect the gas mileage to increase as I get some more mile on it (had 7 miles on the odometer when I first looked at it - had just arrived to the dealer). 94 miles on it now.

All in all, great truck, very comfortable and a very sweet lookin' ride- GMC's silver metallic is more appealing than either Fords or Ram IMHO...

Wow sorry to hear about the over spray, here they have a drop down tarp that they drop from the ceiling between the cab and bed then the tape on paper to cover the bed sides, zero chances of over spray.

Wow sorry to hear about the over spray, here they have a drop down tarp that they drop from the ceiling between the cab and bed then the tape on paper to cover the bed sides, zero chances of over spray.

Common sense dictates someething along those lines, right? The monkeys doing the job were negligent... But, at the dealership now as they are cleaning it up. Will be ordering the replacement tailgate cap today.

I have had two 2500HD gassers and the next one will be a diesel. If someone is towing 10,000+ regularly and buying new personally I wouldn't look at the 6.0.

The newer 6.0's do put out a little more power and it doesn't need to be revved as high but the biggest suck factor is the 4.10's. Not sure what the 2wd has. Don't get me wrong, I love the low gearing and we pull a lot through the mountains but for a daily driver it has its drawbacks.

I priced out new trucks last week. A '15 LTZ duramax is $4000-5000 more (cdn) than the gas. The gas ranges from $62-65k and the diesel $65-70. Honestly if I am spending that much I getting the diesel.

Everyone's situation is different but I really wish GM would have released a slightly larger displacement like dodge did with Afm in the HD trucks I believe I would stay with the gas.

As far as the 6.0 goes and the 6 speed, they are proven. You will replace the exhaust manifold gaskets twice in the first 4 years and expect the cooler lines to leak. The rest of the package is pretty reliable. I had my drive shafts balanced from almost new and they were out quite a bit. It was worth the $200 as it removed a vibration I could always feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming from a 2014 1500 5.3, I was dissapointed with how my 5000 pound pontoon boat handled behind the truck.

In my search for a better tow vehicle I drove a 6.0 ltr crew cab 4x4 2500 with the boat attached and drove for 20 miles, It did ok but nothing earth shattering.

I then took a 2500 Duramax out with the boat attached (same route) I had to keep looking in the mirror to see if the boat was still behind me. Unlike the 6.0ltr, merging on the Interstate was a breeze.

I've only been on the 2500 forum for 3 weeks and I have clearly seen members post in regards to their conviction to the 6.0 ltr and how many issue one will experience with a diesel. I'm currently looking to see if the forum has an ignore users feature.

Anyway this is my experience, I'm not bragging on the diesel because I own one rather bragging on it because it is far superior to the 6.0 ltr for my needs.

Mike

Coming from a 2014 1500 5.3, I was dissapointed with how my 5000 pound pontoon boat handled behind the truck.

In my search for a better tow vehicle I drove a 6.0 ltr crew cab 4x4 2500 with the boat attached and drove for 20 miles, It did ok but nothing earth shattering.

I then took a 2500 Duramax out with the boat attached (same route) I had to keep looking in the mirror to see if the boat was still behind me. Unlike the 6.0ltr, merging on the Interstate was a breeze.

I've only been on the 2500 forum for 3 weeks and I have clearly seen members post in regards to their conviction to the 6.0 ltr and how many issue one will experience with a diesel. I'm currently looking to see if the forum has an ignore users feature.

Anyway this is my experience, I'm not bragging on the diesel because I own one rather bragging on it because it is far superior to the 6.0 ltr for my needs.

Mike

Ignore us if you want, if you want to dream that the Duramax is perfect and you will never have a problem then go ahead.

We can all justify the diesel if we want, if the option was really only 5k I am sure lots of us would jump on it but that is NOT the case!

Both are great motors, one is underpowered, gets 10mpg, and makes noise when reved out pulling and the other has emission issues, head gaskets, and CP4 issues while getting better mileage, and a TON more power.

Archived