Colorado Diesel Towing - Impressive or Not?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-66211400-1438185650_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7/29/2015

This week the official 2016 Chevy Colorado towing numbers were released for the 2.8-liter Duramax diesel. We covered all the major points in our story yesterday, but wanted to shine a light on the towing capabilities of the new Colorado. According to the information, the new Colorado can to up to 7,700 pounds in two-wheel drive and 7,600 in four-wheel drive versions. Diesels have more than one advantage, but the most commonly cited advantages are towing and fuel efficiency. The combination of these two is also a hot topic.

A basic Chevy Silverado starts with a towing capacity of about 5,600 pounds. A V8 Silverado starts at about 6,700 pounds towing capability. The out-going Toyota Tacoma (Mid-size) V6 pickup can tow about 6,500 pounds. In light of these comparisons, is the new Colorado diesel impressive or not to you?

post-139450-0-66211400-1438185650_thumb.jpg

colorado Duramax.jpg

colorado Duramax.jpg

In reality, the main benefit here is fuel economy. The smaller diesel engine in a smaller truck makes for a very efficient (in this category) vehicle.

This will, at least in my mind, appeal to many buyers who want a truck but can't justify the fuel spending incurred with a HD diesel or a gas V8.

Well, if the 2.8L in the Colorado is anything like the 2.8L in my 2006 Jeep, I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Everything I have investigated about the 2.8L Dmax, is that it is strikingly similar to the 2.8L VM diesel in my Jeep. Makes sense, since GM used to have 50% share of VM Motori. They sold their share in 2013, but they probably had already started working on the 2.8L Dmax, so they got most of the motor design from their time owning half of VM. The only difference, other than emissions stuff, that I can see in the 2.8L Dmax compared to the 2.8L VM, is a little higher rail pressure, a different brand VG turbo, and slightly higher HP and Torque numbers. Virtually every other aspect of the motor is a carbon copy of the VM motor, from the timing belt to the cast iron block with wet cylinder sleeves. Which is a great design! It is the same wet sleeve design used by 15L commercial diesels. I think once folks really get close up looks of this motor, along with technical design information, they will be favorably impressed. The VM motor had a designed in B50 life of 300,000 miles. That means, less than 50% would need a motor overhaul before 300,000 miles. Pretty impressive.

My 2006 Jeep had no problem yanking a 300 gallon fuel wagon thru hilly, soft cropland. It even pulled out a class 6 Interstate Battery truck that had slid off the road during an ice storm. Not even the slightest hesitation. Depending on the frame design, suspension, axles, and trans, the 2.8L in the Colorado should be impressive. it has more torque than the V8's in the 1500 series, except the 6.2L.

And with diesel being about 30 cents a gallon cheaper than regular gas in my area now, someone choosing the diesel Colorado could do a lot worse getting something else. Most folks buying something like this are probably not going to be pulling anything over 6K anyway. Probably more for hauling than anything else, and only light duty towing. And of course, a daily commuter when not doing any kind of work like that. It should really shine in that commuter use. Driven properly, as a diesel should be, it should exceed even the EPA fuel economy estimates. My 2006 Jeep diesel had a EPA highway estimate of 27 mpg. There were very few times that we got less than 32 mpg on road trips.

If anyone's interested in seeing long term reviews of this engine, look no further than Australian reviews for their 2.8 CTDI S-10 (Colorado), it's the same engine. They've been sold in South America too for a while now, but those reviews might be harder to find in English.

It's a proven motor, and I'm sure it will do nothing but better the mid size truck market here in the States.

• 2 weeks later...
In light of the comparisons - I’d say the new Colorado is NOT impressive. If a 355HP V8 in a 5000lb. Crew Cab 1500 can get 23 mpg, then 27 mpg out of turbo diesel is not really "impressive”.

If you want or need a smaller truck - the turbo diesel might offer some advantages that some owners would want. I’ve towed a 20’ enclosed car hauler with both a 1500 and 2500HD Crew Cab. Hands down, if you need your truck for towing - - the bigger the better. Not in terms of pulling power but in terms of ease of driving while towing. If you have a need to tow something once or twice a year - for short distanced - the 7700 lb. towing capacity would be nice to have. But then Toyota builds a very solid Mid-Size pickup that holds its resale value pretty well.

impressive numbers, but crazy.

Tow 2000 pounds like a rag doll back there, or a wrecking ball waiting to come smashing through everything lighter than the tow weight.

Sick game that is.

We leave the jeep at home, and take the k1500.. just for the 2000 pound boat everytime.

I wonder how they got away with those numbers..

dangerous.

I grew up with trucking..1978 was my first ride.

from an 81 cabover popping rivets out the front of the cab to a bethelehem steel load, to a 550hp cat doing 90mph with 78000 pounds on and 280 inch wheelbase.

Very serious stuff

Weight, wheelbase, brake size, and most of all..

the steel and weight holding it together.

I'd love that colorado, I remember the little nissan diesels that snuck their way into my locale (canadian). Just don't overdo the steel work... it is a serious danger.

Impressive. I will say though, I'd only consider coming within 85-100% like, once in a blue moon. Boats, small trailers, I'd run all day long. The chassis, suspension and brakes are good enough to handle a max of 7000lbs on the V6, and good enough to run the 7700lbs max on the diesel. Just like K2 max tow can handle 12,000. You have the capability to do it if you really needed to.

If anyone's interested in seeing long term reviews of this engine, look no further than Australian reviews for their 2.8 CTDI S-10 (Colorado), it's the same engine. They've been sold in South America too for a while now, but those reviews might be harder to find in English.

It's a proven motor, and I'm sure it will do nothing but better the mid size truck market here in the States.

30-40K for a diesel truck is much more in most folks' budgets probably looking to go diesel than 50-70k.

In light of the comparisons - I’d say the new Colorado is NOT impressive. If a 355HP V8 in a 5000lb. Crew Cab 1500 can get 23 mpg, then 27 mpg out of turbo diesel is not really "impressive”.

If you want or need a smaller truck - the turbo diesel might offer some advantages that some owners would want. I’ve towed a 20’ enclosed car hauler with both a 1500 and 2500HD Crew Cab. Hands down, if you need your truck for towing - - the bigger the better. Not in terms of pulling power but in terms of ease of driving while towing. If you have a need to tow something once or twice a year - for short distanced - the 7700 lb. towing capacity would be nice to have. But then Toyota builds a very solid Mid-Size pickup that holds its resale value pretty well.

Fuel Economy numbers hasn't come out for the diesel the 27 mpg was for the v6 gas the diesel is expected to be north of 30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of the people buying these pickups will probably pull a couple jet skis or a boat, it seems like that's what I see behind a lot of midsize pickups. It'll do great with that kind of load, and be a feasible DD when not towing. Wonder when delete kits will be available.

Archived