2015 Duramax Oil Leak- 3500 miles

Hello All- Newbie here,

So bought my beautiful new Silverado loaded, Crew Cab, 4x4 after a lengthy process finding the right combo and making the right deal. The truck is primarily used to pull my 6k lb toy hauler. At about 3000 miles I noticed from one weekend to the next a drip or two of oil on the driveway. Since I recently had a leaker with my 2005 Silverado it didn't really concern me...about three weeks later and a 1000 mile round trip I noticed a slightly larger puddle. My initial thought was someone was messing with me...looked under the truck and three drips, 1 around the lower oil pan, 1 on the tranny housing and 1 on the cooler line. Couldn't believe it...took it in, 4 days of diagnosis led to them replacing the lower oil pan seal hoping it would fix the issue. A few weeks goes by and a trip up to the Eastern Sierras later I pulled the truck out of the driveway and again, leaking. Same drips, same spots. I had opened a case with GM, it remains open today. The truck is back at the dealer and now diagnosed with a cracked rear seal housing. Going on 1 week still not repaired...dealer is saying a few more days...I'm just ecstatic my $60k is now completely dismantled....left a message for my case worker Tuesday, no response....not sure how far I should push this. Thinking buyback....just want everyone to be aware, I took a hit on a 2013 Malibu they couldn't fix, not swallowing this one! Thoughts, experiences welcome...

Completely dismantled? Now that's going to the extreme. All they have out of it is the trans not a big deal, my 2012 had a oil leak at the rear seal and they had it for about 3-4 days and never had a problem with it till I got my 2015. No way your going to get a buy back just for this, don't sweat it its not a big deal.

Update, dealer now telling me it's a hairline crack in the block. Going to need to replace the engine. Dealer customer relations manager is recommending buyback to GM. Engineers coming out to inspect this week. I'll post as info is available.

Hello All- Newbie here,

So bought my beautiful new Silverado loaded, Crew Cab, 4x4 after a lengthy process finding the right combo and making the right deal. The truck is primarily used to pull my 6k lb toy hauler. At about 3000 miles I noticed from one weekend to the next a drip or two of oil on the driveway. Since I recently had a leaker with my 2005 Silverado it didn't really concern me...about three weeks later and a 1000 mile round trip I noticed a slightly larger puddle. My initial thought was someone was messing with me...looked under the truck and three drips, 1 around the lower oil pan, 1 on the tranny housing and 1 on the cooler line. Couldn't believe it...took it in, 4 days of diagnosis led to them replacing the lower oil pan seal hoping it would fix the issue. A few weeks goes by and a trip up to the Eastern Sierras later I pulled the truck out of the driveway and again, leaking. Same drips, same spots. I had opened a case with GM, it remains open today. The truck is back at the dealer and now diagnosed with a cracked rear seal housing. Going on 1 week still not repaired...dealer is saying a few more days...I'm just ecstatic my $60k is now completely dismantled....left a message for my case worker Tuesday, no response....not sure how far I should push this. Thinking buyback....just want everyone to be aware, I took a hit on a 2013 Malibu they couldn't fix, not swallowing this one! Thoughts, experiences welcome...

Hello AdamD2C,

While I am sorry to hear that you are having these concerns with your new Silverado, I am happy to see that you are currently working with your dealer. Feel free to keep us updated on the status of your truck and send us a PM if we can be of more assistance.

Kindest regards,

Blair E.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Edited by GM Customer Service

Hello All- Newbie here,

Could you describe what was wrong with the Malibu? I have a 2013 Sonic which I got real cheap brand new and the car has been absolutely trouble free for the past 37k miles, not even one trip back to the dealer for anything within its basic warranty period.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem with my 3500. At 7500 miles I noticed oil spots in the driveway. The dealership was quick to diagnose the problem as a cross-threaded bolt. The diagnosis from the dealership was that the only resolution was to replace the engine because of the location of the both and how the cross threading occured.

They kicked the issue to GM tech support with the recommendation to replace the engine. The GM prescribed course of action from GM was to pull the engine and try to mill out the hole and insert a larger bolt. I called GM Customer care and have tried to get them involved with little luck so far. The issue is dragging on and I have the truck parked for fear of coming out to find a giant pool of oil under the truck after the bolt let go.

I have owned the truck since 3 July 15.

I have a 2014 Duramax and it has the signature oil leak at the oil pan seal. I noticed it within the first 10,000 miles. Funny thing is my local dealer does all my service work and hasn't said one thing about it.

I did extensive reading on the subject and found that in most cases the oil loss is barely measurable over the course of 3,000-5,000 miles. I have yet to require any additional oil. I also don't want some guys trying to pull my engine who can't spot an oil leak.

To add to this, my hood trim is loose since delivery and it hasn't been repaired nor have they offered.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I too had a leak in my 2015 Silverado 3500 HD Duramax. First trip to the dealer for warranty repair they had to drop the transmission saying it was a rear seal. Without my truck for four days. Drove it home, next morning still leaking oil all over my garage floor. Back to the dealer, kept it all day, said it was not leaking just thought they hadn't wiped it very well after the repair. Back home sat for three days before I checked it, still leaking. Third time back to the dealer where they kept it about 4 days. Said it was the oil pan leaking. Looked like they either lowered the oil pan and put a "big" bead of sealer or just put the big bead of sealer without taking the pan off. After this is hasn't leaked. Was the real problem the oil pan in the first place? Who will really know. I was one additional trip back to the dealer before I was going to request a buy back.

I have read where many of the early 2015 Duramax diesel trucks have had leaks. There has to be a problem somewhere.

post-148484-0-56441500-1442686418.jpg

post-148484-0-36900800-1442686569_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimsail

• 3 months later...

Has anyone received an answer to this oil leak. We own a 15 GMC 3500 with roughly 4000 miles and our trans has been out twice first for resealing bell housing to the block and second trip was for turbo drain line gasket. After dealer had truck for multiple days I was informed about oil galley plugs in rear of block so removal of trans was necessary again. Just drove truck 200 plus miles pulling cattle trailer, After putting truck back in the shed noticed oil leak is back? To this Date I have not gone above dealer service dept?????

• 5 weeks later...

This is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently people assembling these engines and /or trucks don't give a crap about the fact that someone is going to pay upwards of $ 50k for these vehicles. GM has either completely dropped the ball on quality control at all levels, or simply is installing horrible quality Chinese made parts such as oil seals, and lets untrained or irresponsible workforce install them wrong on top of that.

Edited by pm26

• 6 months later...

I said all you can say and they do want with it.Remebered a time the your word meant something?I would take this truck and pull to the service and key back the keys.My wife says calm down but this isn't right.At age that in with a stroke,with tell me why is happened with me?I have only question ask,I do I can really to a lemon law?I will only had the days(4) he will be singing down the road.The appointment is Tuesday after Labor Day.I't will be real!