Headlights on 2015+ 2500HD update kit?

Anyone agree that light output/quality isn't that great on these new trucks? I have very few complaints on my new rig... But headlights could be way better overall. Did I hear a rumor there is an update kit at GM dealers? Or any decent reliable HID kits? Thanks!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Applies to GMC only per the bulletin.

I think you may be wrong. It was at first, but now it includes the Chevy's. I know this because I have open recalls now for this..

I think you may be wrong. It was at first, but now it includes the Chevy's. I know this because I have open recalls now for this..

Right from the PI document:

#PIT5374B: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs) - (Jun 15, 2015)

Subject: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs)

Models: 2015 GMC Sierra

2014 GMC Sierra 1500

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment of poor headlight performance when driving in very dark rural areas. While the headlights meet all FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) requirements and CMVSS (Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) requirements, customers may request better headlight performance for these very dark rural areas.

GMC only. No recalls for headlights on either GMC or Chevrolet as the headlights meet the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) and CMVSS (Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) requirements. If they were out of line with those regulations there would be a recall.

The Chevy trucks with projector halogens use a different bulb setup. It is a two bulb setup, H11 low beam on top, 9005 high beam on bottom. The GMC trucks use a single high/low beam bulb setup and GMC (1500, 2500 and 3500) uses only projector halogen. Chevy uses reflector on 1500 trucks with projector halogen on LTZ and up, and all Chevy HD use projector halogen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 2500 GMC,the last time I was at the dealership, I asked about the headlight upgrade and they told me it was for 1500's only not 2500's, which I thought was pretty crappy, is there a document # to tell them to use so they can see its for 2500's? I don't really care for my headlights especially on a rainy night.

I have a 2015 2500 GMC,the last time I was at the dealership, I asked about the headlight upgrade and they told me it was for 1500's only not 2500's, which I thought was pretty crappy, is there a document # to tell them to use so they can see its for 2500's? I don't really care for my headlights especially on a rainy night.

Applies to 2014 Sierra 1500 and 2015 Sierra all body styles. See my other post above, post #5 for document #.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/175886-headlights-on-2015-2500hd-update-kit/?p=1666450

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a '15 2500 sierra yesterday and noticed the weak lights last night (I live in the sticks!). So does this bulletin mean the dealer may upgrade the lights as a warranty issue, or is this just an available upgrade for purchase? I also noticed some condensation inside the lights a couple of hours after they washed it at the dealer. I'm going to ask the dealer about it if it continues, but is this a known issue as well?

Darn GM for using a bulb that nobody makes inside these projectors. I just put a OPT7 bulb in my Harley Streetglide and was hoping to get a plug n play LED bulb for the truck too. I'd already got replacement LED's for the foglights from Putco that are about 300% brighter.

I just bought a '15 2500 sierra yesterday and noticed the weak lights last night (I live in the sticks!). So does this bulletin mean the dealer may upgrade the lights as a warranty issue, or is this just an available upgrade for purchase? I also noticed some condensation inside the lights a couple of hours after they washed it at the dealer. I'm going to ask the dealer about it if it continues, but is this a known issue as well?

Will the dealer upgrade the lights on warranty on a 2500?

If you are experiencing the issue and the upgrade would fix your issue (they are supposed to check aim, for aftermarket parts, dirty/damaged lamps etc first) then yes it should be under your 3yr/36k body warranty. After that mileage point it would be a customer pay situation.

I see both of you have GMC but for future lookers of this thread, just want to remind again, 2014-2015 GMC 1500 and 2015 GMC HD only. Does not apply to 2014-2015 Chevy 1500 with halogen or 2015 Chevy HD.

Just a quick question, will the headlights from a 1500 fit the 2500 trucks? Could those have normal halogen bulbs installed in them and then have normal lighting like the older trucks? Halogen bulbs worked just fine in my 2012 HD, as a matter of fact, they were the brightest I've ever had.

Archived