'99 K1500 5.7 W/AC

I've got dual batteries with a Hellroaring separator/combiner and I recently started towing a travel trailer that has dual batteries, so I need to upgrade my original alternator to (at least) 140 amp. I've read the connectors are different (original - oval, 140A - rectangular), and I might need a different serpentine belt. I don't know if that only applies to parts from certain manufacturers, or if it's the nature of the upgrade. I'd have to order one locally to get a look at it, but if I order one I want it to be the right one.

Has anyone here done this upgrade, and can you share your experience?

A few years ago I added a second battery to power the winch,an amp and an Oogah horn.Think I might've connected an extra trans cooler fan as well(been a long time).I upgraded to a 140 amp when doing all the adding.I had to modify the bracket some as the new alternator is a bit bigger.Needed a longer belt also(don't ask how much cuz I don't remember :dunno: ).

p.s. connector was the same

I've done some more research and found that the best straight-swap is to go to a AD244 alternator with a slightly longer serpentine belt. The AD244 has the same mounting holes and four-pin plug. I'll save this project for a rainy day.

Archived