95 G20 5.0 to 5.7 conversion.

Van_Guy

Question

My 1995 G20 came stock with a 5.0 TBI. Option A. I have a 1995 5.7 TBI that's fresh from rebuilder. Will the stock harness and computer work for the 5.7?

Option B. I have a 97 Vortec 5.7. Will it work with the stock harness and computer??What do I need if not??

2 answers to this question

If it were me, I'd take the '95, slap a carb on it & a HEI ignition and call it a day. MUCH easier than trying to make electronics play together that weren't designed to play together. '97 is OBD-II - a can o' worms will be opened the likes of which you've never dreamed of, trying to make that run on TBI electronics. You could try and get a TBI intake for the '97 - I think that would work, but how it runs would be a total crapshoot.

I remember TBI being pretty much useless in performance applications, because you were pretty much stuck with whatever fueling came with it stock. A chip would add a little, but it was never enough, and could never be tuned to perfection like a carb, or newer FI could. So, slapping a 5.0 fuel system on a 5.7 probably isn't going to make you very happy. I've never done it, so I could be wrong - I'm just basing this on personal experience with cars & trucks of that era. A carb gives you much more flexibility in making it run right, and also the ability to fix it with a screwdriver, rather than a 15 year rocket science degree in electronics to make everything work.

I've got a carbed/HEI '00 4.3 in my '89 S10 Blazer. The thing runs BEAUTIFULLY. Never ran this good with the OEM OBD-II system.

Archived