• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the M&P's myself, good shooters and comfortable for me. There is a lot of personal opinion on which will be best carry gun. I definitely agree get some time with a couple different make and models so you can make an informed decision of which is best for you. Recommend 9mm as a new shooter, less felt recoil and cheaper to fire in most cases. As a new shooter I would start with full size or compact. Subcompact no matter the caliber are more difficult to shoot well. You don't need the smallest or the most expensive or tricked out handgun. Once you pick your handgun, get lots of range time. Practice good fundamentals, be safe and go slow while learning your gun. Once you are comfortable with your gun and the basics of handgun shooting you can start working on defensive techniques. Again get a lot of range time. Try different ammo, ammo made by company A is different than by company B, ammo even differs within same company, find what works best for you. As you get more experienced you may find, that there is a handgun that is a better fit for you and your carry needs. Again get some time at the range. Practice with target ammo as well as your defensive loads. Defensive loads are more expensive so you don't want to do it every time at the range, but you need to be comfortable with the difference between the two. In closing pick what is best for you and get lots of practice.

I'm interested in a NRA Basic , members supply 50 rounds 22LR. and a Practical CC Course. will take the advise and start off small caliber and choose later. My dad taught me on Shot Gun and Rifle, four older cousins with two of them Police Officers gave advise on handguns. On a 1800 Acre family farm they had cabinets full from .22 RF to Magnums, Ground Hogs and an old Ford truck never had a chance :M16:

• 3 weeks later...

If you have open carry laws then the LEOs should not bother you about carrying your gun. However, if you have CCW permits instead of open carry then a LEO does not want to see your gun. If they can see you carrying it then so can the public. In NY that is brandishing a firearm. Loose your permit for sure.

But then this IS in NY. Why would anyone want to live here that owns a gun?? Can't get out soon enough!

Just remember, if you find it bulky, or to heavy to carry all day. Then odds are it will sit in your safe more than on you. I have a safe full of full size guns, and compacts too..in both 9mm and my favorite .45ACP that I bought for carry guns over the last 35 years or so. What do I carry most? A .380 with good stopper ammo. They are easy to carry and easy to conceal. So when I leave the house it leaves with me. Remember, the best gun to have IF you ever need it, is the one you have ON you at the time! Not the one you left at home because you just went to the store and the 9mm was to much trouble to take along. But, thats just my opinion and its free..so its worth every penny you paid me for it. ;)

Either way, good luck with what ever you choose.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless money is no object I would get a standard sized 9mm. They are cheaper to shoot and easier to become proficient and maintain it. A tiny sub compact that is no fun to shoot because of the recoil is a bad choice. I'm not nocking them but would never recommend them as a first handgun. Having a matching sub compact to your full size handgun is a great idea. A buddy of mine didn't listen and bought a sub compact and said he couldn't believe how much it kicked. As far as brands go, take everyone else's advice and try before you buy. If not at least pick the one that feels best. And then practice, practice, practice. Get some good ammo for self defense and watch for sales on FMJ to practice.

That's a ridiculous question. Nobody should ever know or be able to tell you are carrying a firearm.

.......what makes you think someone would be "hassled"? You must watch YouTube videos of those assclowns open carrying just to cause a scene and feel they are cool because they are carrying a firearm. Most open carry people do it because they think it looks cool, want to make a political statement, or just feel cool.

There is no reason for open carry unless your job causes you to carry a firearm on duty. It attracts attention and can make you a target. It also makes you vulnerable to become a victim after the crook behind you snatches the pistol out of the holster.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

I agree, but am Glad it passed in OK for one fact:

If someone saw your gun(say while loading something in your truck, and your shirt gets blown or moves just right) you could get in legal trouble( law was worded that basically said your gun could not be seen under any circumstance unless you had to use it.) Now, don't have to worry about picking up something on a windy day.

That's a ridiculous question. Nobody should ever know or be able to tell you are carrying a firearm.

.......what makes you think someone would be "hassled"? You must watch YouTube videos of those assclowns open carrying just to cause a scene and feel they are cool because they are carrying a firearm. Most open carry people do it because they think it looks cool, want to make a political statement, or just feel cool.

There is no reason for open carry unless your job causes you to carry a firearm on duty. It attracts attention and can make you a target. It also makes you vulnerable to become a victim after the crook behind you snatches the pistol out of the holster.

using Tapatalk

I do not open carry, but loaded something in my truck one day and my shirt rode up so that the muzzle was visible as a officer was driving by. He turned around and told me that it was visible. And told me that people wouldn't like that.

Keep in mind that in PA open carry is legal, except in cities of the first class, without a LTCF. A LTCF is only required if you wish to open carry in a city of the first class or if you wish to conceal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not open carry, but loaded something in my truck one day and my shirt rode up so that the muzzle was visible as a officer was driving by. He turned around and told me that it was visible. And told me that people wouldn't like that.

Keep in mind that in PA open carry is legal, except in cities of the first class, without a LTCF. A LTCF is only required if you wish to open carry in a city of the first class or if you wish to conceal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what 'people like', that's the problem with this country right now. The politically correct nonsense and misinformation is destroying us. People can dislike it all they want but too bad, deal with it. It's your right as a law abiding American to bear arms and be able to protect yourself.

If an officer did actually approach you after driving by and somehow was able to see the tip of your pistol muzzle below your shirt causing said officer to turn the vehicle around and make contact/detain/interview/investigate/harass/question you, wow! Whoever it was must have quite the eye sight.....

The website you got your information from is not exactly correct. It's nice to see you are attempting to learn firearms laws if you are going to carry and it's good to get information out there BUT it helps if the information you are attempting to provide is actually correct........Open carry is neither legal or illegal in PA. There is no specific State law that allows it, and no specific law against it.

An LTCF is required to carry in a 1st class city, yes, unless you are law enforcement and are exempt from licensing. The license also must specifically state your reason for carry is "protection". That same license is also required for someone to carry a firearm on their person inside of a vehicle, concealed under clothing or not, protection license is needed either way.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask through PM. Don't rely on websites & gun forums. I deal with law all day everyday and don't mind helping a fellow firearms owner if they have questions. The more you educate yourself, the better off you are.

using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

There is really two separate choices for you to make, easily concealable, and compact enough to conceal yet big enough to learn the basics of handguns and become proficient in shooting it.

Your choice in a M&P 22 is a good move towards becoming proficient, however for a carry gun I would recommend against is due to it being a rim-fire, and rim-fire ammo is cheap and unreliable, even the mighty CCI-Mini mags compared to a center fired cartridge.

Easily Concealable:

M&P Body Guard

Ruger LCP

Beretta Nano

Sig 238 (Different code of arms and spendy at times)

Kel-tec P3AT

Enter any .380 auto single stack other than a Glock 42 or Walther PPQ

Compact/ training Pistol

Glock 26/27/19/22/43/42

S&W Shield / Compact

Ruger LC9pro

Springfield XDS & 3.3 model

Kahr CM/PM9

Walther PPS

I would assume a proverbial vote for a "First" hand gun period would go towards a Glock 19, but remember to pick them all up, sights unless milled into the slide is a wash as there easy to replace, make sure it fits your hand, weight is moderate.. let us know how you like the new purchase. My own CCW is a Shield in 9mm carried in a King Tuck by Galco but there are many many hybrid inside the waistband holsters to choose from that will all work.

Jerry from Fargo, ND.

Archived