6 inch lift kit

I have a 2002 Chev 1500HD. I would like to raise it up 6 inchs and put on 33 inch tires. I am looking for some advice on the following questions.

1. What will a lift and 33 inch tires do for my gas mileage?

2. Does the ride quality change with a 6 inch lift and 33 inch tires?

3. What is the down side of installing a lift kit? Wheel allignment, replacement parts, voided warrenty, maintaince etc.

4. What brand of lift would you recommend?

5. Does anyone know a GM dealer that will install a lift that will not void my warrenty. I am currently living in southern Ohio.

6. What will a 6 inch lift installed cost me. I do not want to buy the cheapest brand out there.

Any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

1. What will a lift and 33 inch tires do for my gas mileage?

Reduce it by about 20%.  I went from 15.5 to 11 with larger tires and more lift than you are considering.  Your fuel efficiency drop shouldn't be as bad.

2. Does the ride quality change with a 6 inch lift and 33 inch tires?

Yes.  I think it rides better.  Some think that their lifted trucks ride worse.  It DOES affect ride quality.  My wife was very skeptical of the truck once I had installed the lift.  She's quite pleased with it, after having driven it.  I haven't heard anyone complain that the ride quality was so negatively affected that they regretted the lift or would consider going back to a truck that was "in the weeds".

3. What is the down side of installing a lift kit? Wheel allignment, replacement parts, voided warrenty, maintaince etc.

Some parts will wear sooner on a lifted truck for a number of reasons.  With a competent set of tires under the truck, you may be more inclined to use the truck for more than just driving around on the street.  Uneven terrain is hard on any vehicle.  Any vehicle driven off road will require more maintenance than if it were driven only on pavement.

Large tires are hard to balance.  33" tires shouldn't be much of a problem.  Most places can't handle tires larger than 35".

Warranty issues will depend on the dealership.  If you have any doubts, ask.  I've had some warranty work done on my truck since it's been lifted, and while the dealership was helpfull on the first visit, for each subsequent visit they were less and less inclined to be poilte.  These warranty issues were wheel bearings (from me getting the truk stuck in deep water and the seals not sealing), HVAC cluster lights, stereo lights, and the driver's side heated mirror.  The bearings were the first warranty issue.  I think this particular dealership just sucked.

4. What brand of lift would you recommend?

Superlift or California Super Trucks.  Many people have very strong opinions about this.  Once it's on your truck, you're very unlikely to change it.  Learn about it first, then make a decision.  It's a big investment that you will NEVER be able to recover.  A lifted truck has a lower resale value than a stock one.

5. Does anyone know a GM dealer that will install a lift that will not void my warrenty. I am currently living in southern Ohio.

Nope.  I don't think you're likely to find one in our state.  I've heard of some out west.  

6. What will a 6 inch lift installed cost me. I do not want to buy the cheapest brand out there.

A lot.  New rims and tires will likely be about $250/wheel.  You'll need five, unless you don't value having a spare.  

I think a Superlift goes for about $1500.  If you plan on using 4wd at speeds over 25mph, you should get a new front driveshaft, or at least have a double cardon joint installed on your existing one.  AutoTrack equipped vehicles pretty much require a new front driveshaft, which is about $400.

You'll need to get your speedometer recallibrated.  You can buy a performance programmer (superchips, hypertech, etc.) and have the ability to do it yourself whenever or as many times as you want to, or you can try to have it done at a dealership.  The programmer is the easier way to go.  For $300, it was worth it to me, even though I don't use any of the "performance tuning" available with the unit.

If you have 3.73 gears and you go to 35" tires (you said you were going with 33", but you may change your mind), you'll want to re-gear your differentials as well.  Count on about $1500 for that.

Don't forget about an alignment.

I put my lift on myself with the help of a friend in my back yard.  It took about 30 man hours.  I could do it faster if I were going to do it again, and I would certainly do it again.  In any event, I think it's worth about $1000 to have a competent, experienced installer do the work.

I think that adds up to about $6000 for a completely turn-key lift package that addresses all of the issues that NEED to be addressed.  Once that's done, you'll want to look at step bars to allow your significant other to get in and out of the truck safely, a new drop for your hitch (I got a 10" drop adapter and a pintle), and maybe some cosmetic add ons.

• 2 weeks later...

pfarkas nailed it.  Superlift is the way to go!  I did my suspension lift and body lift myselft and I LOVE it!  I went from 16 mpg to 11 myself.  As soon as I regear, I hope to gain 1.5 - 2 mpg.

On your truck however, I don't think you will want to run 6" of lift w/ 33s, get some 35 and crank a little.  You'll clear them fine w/ minor trimming.

My .02,

Gas mileage will not suffer that much and should even get a little better on the highways.  I would go for the '35 just for the simple fact that it will look funny (skinny) on a lifted HD.  They will look fine until you see another HD with '35 and by then it's to late.

As stated my lifted truck drives better now than when she was stock.  My truck is a 2WD and your HD sits higher than my did stock.  With a '6 lift you will be able to run '35 with no problems.  It took me a '6 suspension lift with a '3 body lift to run '35.

The major down side (in my opinion) is the cost.  That was my concern too before I lifted my truck.  I talked to different shop and asked them if anything would wear or need replacing & there answer was it will be no different (wear) than stock.  My nephew has been running a lifted truck for 3 years now with no problems.  As for your warranty well the jury is still out.  My truck is still under warranty and if I develop any transmission or drivestaft problems then I think I'm on my own.  But everything else will still be covered.

I'd recommend RCD.  That's what I have installed on my truck and it's one of the best lift kits for 2WD out there.  I've talked to many shops and everyone with a lifted truck and they all agree.  Quality parts.

No dealer will install a lift kit.

About $3000 give or take.  Then it's a 4x4 then like the previous poster said you might need to replace your driveshaft.  Your wheels will cost you $200 each and '35 tire will run you the same.  Then you'll need something a programmer to correct your Speedo & odometer.  

:crackup:  :loser:

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I just finished upgrading my truck, is cost about $4300, you can see my mods in my signature.  I would really look around for deals on the internet for things like computers, shocks, and tire, and wheels.  I was able to get my wheels, tires, and shocks, buy 3 get one free, and I found a place that sold superchip computers for 300 bucks....can't beat that with a stick.  just don't skimp on the lift, or a good installer.  my install cost me about $700 with alignment, and tire mounting and balancing(sp?).  Mine really rides a lot better that it used to, and looks so much better it's not even funny.

-the can-bak and the exaughts were done seperatly, so it wasn't included in the $4300 i spent for the lift

• 5 months later...

I have debated this for a long time. I would like to thank you for all the response. You guys just about covered everything. My other choice would be to get some 22's, but now that I see how much lift cost. I'm kinda leaning towards the 22's. Check out my gallerie and tell me what you guys would do. BTW I would not lower it either.

Hey TMF6902,

I looked on you webpages. Your trucks are cool. Please tell me that the kids who stole from you truck were caught (other than on film). I would have loved to see a picture of someone beating the crap out of them.

Check out my gallerie and tell me what you guys would do

Lots of nice mods and add-ons. I like that you haven't gone hog-wild with "adhesive accessories".

I don't know how the snowfall in southern Ohio compares to northern Ohio, but I doubt that it's very different. With that in mind, I think you'd get more use out of a set of all-terrain (or mud terrain) tires than you would from a set of low-profile street tires on 22" rims.

If they salt the roads in southern Ohio as much as they do between Toledo and Akron, then make sure you keep your old tires and rims for use in the winter - road salt and gravel isn't nice to fancy rims, and with a shorter sidewall, you have less tire between your rim and the crappy salt slush.

You don't have to get a lift to get larger tires. Bushwacker sells aftermarket flares for our trucks that allow for the fitment of larger tires (at the expense of cutting the wheel-well opening to a larger than stock size). Less expensive than a lift, and a little bit easier to reverse.

In response to "tell me what you guys would do", I'd go with the lift and 35" tires. It's a more functional mod than 22" rims, enabling your truck to do MORE instead of less.

In response to DiHappy's remarks, whether or not a dealership is legally obligated to honor the factory warranty on a modified vehicle has nothing to do with whether or not they will. My personal experience has been that they will honor the warranty as long as it is convenient for them to do so and once it stops being convenient, they will stop performing warranty work and make it inconvenient for the vehicle owner to do anything about it.

If it costs more (in time and money) to take a dealership to court (small claims or other) in order to compell them to perform a warranty repair that they are legally obligated to perform than it would cost to have the repair done outside of warranty, the warranty is effectively voided.

My experience may differ from yours. If ril850 or anyone else considering modifying their vheicle has any concerns about it, they would probably be best served to consult their preferred dealership.

Thanks for all the input. Gas mileage is my biggest concern. I drive over 400 miles per week and average 15 to 16 MPG. I love the look of lifted trucks but can't afford to make 10 MPG just to look better. Still considering all my options.

I'm looking at some hummer 2 rims and 285-70-17 BFGoodrish All Terrains. They should fit without a lift and at least I will already have the rims when I decide to do the lift.

Thanks

Hey Pfarkas, I hate over accessorized truck they look tacky IMO, but to each is own. Thanks for the comments, but where did you get Ohio from man...lol

I live in NYC right now but movin back to Oxnard CA. (Southern Cali) :cheers:

I have seen HD trucks with 285 and 305 tires on stock wheels and some with aftermarket wheels and they look great. The "mini-tires" that come stock on these trucks don't look to hot, but they are functional.

The look of just larger tires will be impressive and you won't sacrifice any or very little milage. With the lifed truck, you are looking to spend over $100 per month in fuel costs alone. I am sure it will be less with just a slightly larger tire size.

Just another thought!

:cheers:

Archived