My 5 digit report 14 Sierra A/T

2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain SLE Sonoma Red

Well my truck has officially hit 10k, I was very nervous about buying this thing, never bought a new vehicle in my life, this forum helped alot and i thank everyone, it also almost kept me from buying as well, but I took everything for what its worth, when something goes wrong people complain, and look for others in the same boat, when something is right very rarely do you go online and applaud,

Issues,

1. Headlights! I bought this knowing this and some drive time at night, but I still was amazed at just how bad they really were, shame on GM for passing this, especially after 2 decades of possibly the best lighting in the industry,

2. Transmission Nuff said,

3. Painted bumpers, this is so sub par its unbelievable, I bought in Dec and my guy needed some 40+ degree days to do 3m, I honestly thought I could make it through march, wrong now its pointless until i paint it,

4. Engine light, 1 time so far, some sorta Evap thing that GM redesigned after, I'd have to look up the receipt,

5. Seats, I've had the bulletin done, still creaks worst then a old ladies rocker, goes back Tuesday, also my seat is wearing prematurely and yes I am very careful in and out, the leather on my 05 looked brand new

6. Current issue with creak and clunk in rear end, I think suspension issue, gotta read the thread on this,

7. Intelilink, Why cant I adjust the brightness on this "smart" system, instead $1 screen protector, and a piece of tint, and why do I always have to hit the radio buttons twice on the wheel to change channels, I feel like this will be the first thing to wear out,

8. the whole HVAC system isn't the best, summer time has been great but I take some issues with the defrost in the winter,

9. Remote start 10 mins is BS should be adjustable, within reason, and remote needs way more range,

10. After 10000 miles I'm still not used to the blind spot and making right turns with my trailer, that corner sucks (mirror), left turns are great with lots of visibility,

11. Traction Control, Totally gay here, you should only have to shut it off 1 time, even if you go over 35 mph, I prefer to drive my truck not be driven

The good,

1. Fuel mileage has really been great,

2. Comfort, my god this thing is so quiet and comfortable, my 85 year old Grandma noticed it and loved it on our 500 mile trip in June,

3. All Terrain package, in a SLE, the look, and stance is amazing, what a option for someone who could not afford a Denali,

4. Heated seats, even in the cloth this is a really nice option, and auto heat is great as well, even if the don't get hot until u put the key in,

5. TOWING, maybe this should have been number 1 but I'm just typing as it comes to my head, the whole Tow package is amazing, from the tow haul/M mode, to when I'm in the boat ramp the temp hold is such a neat feature, not sure the technical option name here, I think its incorporated with Hill Decent maybe??? also Active Grade braking is awesome as well what a difference, and for those who don't know I'm towing a 30ft boat around 95-11000 depending on fuel and gear,

6. Sonoma Red, what a amazing color, it just pops and gets the looks, "Eye Candy" I love the color even if i regret not staying with white,

7. Winter driving, I know I know I hate the traction control, but the overall control of the vehicle is pretty good, I just like to play,

8. I'm a lucky one, no vibe issues,

9. Crew Cab, I'm 6'5 and the room in this thing is amazing, even with my seat back all the way a grown up can be comfortable behind me,

10. Center console, I love it room and storage, my 05 was great but I always felt the 07/13 were shallow and lacked adequate storage,

11. LED bed lighting, Awesome, quick note here, I would like to be able to check on my cargo if needed, with truck in gear cargo/bed lights don't work,

12. Info screen on cluster, well done, lot o info and options, and good colors, (personal taste) I do like the chevy version as well thou

13. GM Small block, no turbo's no BS, stay true GM

14. GMC Sierra, the best looking truck on the road

15. GM buyers programs and options, I know all this is market based, but some of the programs like GM supplier which I used really helped,

16. My service dept, they have really been great, my service manager more so, and its not at my purchase dealer, there's not so thrilled with,

Wrap up, Well I hope I do not come off wrong, I love the truck, I hate the payment LOL , I am worried about when it gets older, electronics and stuff, but I made my bed, I expect some things, others I feel GM dropped the ball, when buying a truck, I feel people want it for work, you should be able to get a 6.2 workhorse in lesser models, i would have, also if I ordering a truck let me get my color dammit! bring back the A/T crew in summit white, but what do I know,

Hoping for a smooth 100k plus more, unless I get back into white

IMG_20150412_152828021_HDR_zpspaljtuz4.j

IMG_20150426_180205656_HDR_zpsdlnbokpp.j

OK, so what would you rank the truck on a 10 point scale? 7-8?

You may have seen my review, not one issue after 10k, I'd have to rate mine a 10. (and I'm pretty anal!)

To be honest my 2014 AT has 25K now... and it's getting better. I had some bugs the dealer fixed up in the beginning ( springs and shocks mainly ) But my truck is better now than ever. Don't think you need to be concerned about long term.

OK, so what would you rank the truck on a 10 point scale? 7-8?

You may have seen my review, not one issue after 10k, I'd have to rate mine a 10. (and I'm pretty anal!)

Hmm, good question, how's 8.5, like I was being super honest on my like n dislikes, and nit picking, for 40k were allowed to nit pick a bit I think lol, the tranny is the worst, it acts so right when towing, or even driving on the harder side, but when nursing or old man driving that's when she clunks around a bit, 1 thing I forgot to mention is the radio, that was one thing I hated giving up was Bose, but the stock radio performs very well, so we can call that number 17 lol

Nice report. I'm only at 7k miles after 1 year with my SLE All-terrain, I agree it's a nice packaged truck without breaking your wallet too much.

The only issues or complaints I have are the clunks during local driving, and the radio reception stinks once I'm 30 miles or so outside the city (but there finally may be a software fix coming later this year). I think the headlights are fine even prior to having the TSB bulb update done recently. Only noticed a slight vibe/shake in the seat on the highway, but it doesn't happen all the time. I do have 4 rock chips in the bumper already, which is almost as much as I had after 4+ years of owning a F150 with painted bumpers.

Nice honest review, nice to see reviews like this.

Thanks, that certainly was my intent, I drove tow truck for years, and u would be amazed at how many cars were under 2 years old, Its been a good ride so far with a few issues, minor at that,

OP do you have a 5.3 6 speed or 6.2 8 speed?

I've had 2 '14's w/ 5.3 and 6 speed, the 2nd went 38,000 miles before i totaled it and now have a '15 8 speed.

The 5.3/6 speed did "learn" my driving habits much better over time and improved, but still I think 6 or 8 speed you really need a tranny tune to fully enjoy the drivetrains in these trucks.

Also - the painted bumpers will chip on any new vehicle, new water based paints used in recent years just doesn't hold up the same. That being said, the fact the bumpers are painted METAL makes chipping that much worse. FYI - my dealer repainted the front bumper for free after 1 year of ownership (still under the 36k BTB) because it chipped so badly - you may want to see if you can get them to do that.

I then had them do a 3m bra @ cost to prevent future chips.

IT is really just the metal lower bumper that chips excessively, on the '15 AT I just purchased I didn't even take delivery until the 3m bra was on the bumper.

i love every thing about my All-Terrain except 3 things.

1) headlights

2)seat wear - im at 24k and already 3 little tears and yes i am very careful getting in and out...basically make sure i all but lift my but then set or exit...never slide in.

3)throttle response - or lack there off...my 01 and 07 drove completely different when you mashed the gas.

For # 10, I have to admit I am glad I got the towing mirrors. Much better for everyday driving than the standard mirrors (in my opinion). I can see parking lot lines, the little crap box next to me and I just like the look of them.

Good information and enjoyed the review.

My 2015 has been great - all 2800 miles worth (LOL). Hoping it continues!

I'm also not a big fan of the HVAC. Too electronic - just give me basic knobs. Towing mirrors should be here Monday! Only other complaint - these things seem small. Luckily Jon on this site had is for sale. Can't wait to install!

Good information and enjoyed the review.

My 2015 has been great - all 2800 miles worth (LOL). Hoping it continues!

I'm also not a big fan of the HVAC. Too electronic - just give me basic knobs. Towing mirrors should be here Monday! Only other complaint - these things seem small. Luckily Jon on this site had is for sale. Can't wait to install!

I dont mind the electronic part, its the functional part, defrost absolutely is weak at best, thats probably more about the displacement thou, and it bothers me that with remote start it just starts blowing air even not warm air, my 05 was smart enough to wait for the truck to warm up before pushing air

Archived