How to clean interior

The dash isn't leather, it's some synthetic material not sure if it's vinyl- I wouldn't put armor all anything on a vehicle (except maybe their cheap wheel cleaner/tire shine stuff)

What works very well for me on vehicles w/ leather/fake leather/soft touch synthetic combination interiors is the following routine:

For the dash/console/doors etc I get a bowl of warm water w/ a little dish soap and use a clean rag (like an undershirt) and wipe down each section taking up the dirt/dust/pollen w/ the warm slightly soapy rag- I immediately follow each section w/ a dry microfiber cloth after wiping it down w/ a wet cloth to get any excess moisture or left over dust.

Each time I do a "section" I rinse out the rag.

Then I use windex on the windshield (always do this before my last step step because windex overspray. Leaves "spots" all over the interior)

I then take 2 microfiber cloths for the leather- 1 cleaner, 1 conditioner. I use Lexol (highly recommended) leather cleaner & conditioner (2 separate bottles) - sometimes I use the Lexol cleaner wipes, but I prefer the actual spray liquid for the conditioner part. Anyhow I spray down the leather seats and wipe/scrub them good w/ the cleaner. By the time I'm down w/ the last seat in the back, I start in the front driver seat and apply a liberal application of Lexol conditioner. Sometimes if the seats are really dry/dirty or if it's a new vehicle I will do 2 applications of the conditioner waiting at least 15-20 mins before reapplying to a section.

Now here's my "secret" I take the Lexol conditioner soaked microfiber cloth and wipe down each non-leather section of interior w/ it, sometimes even "misting" just a tab bit on the cloth so it stays moist- what I've found is it leaves a protective, matte, nice feeling and looking coating/luster on all the interior trim (even the smooth plastic) - the key is not spraying the stuff directly on the interior like you would the leather, just massaging it on w/ the microfiber cloth.

Your interior will look/smell great and won't have a greasy feel (may a little bit at first but that will dissipate within 1-2 hrs tops much less if hot out)

Other product you can try on dash/interiors is 303 aerospace protectant - could on synthetics great on vinyl very good for exterior stuff like vinyl tonneau covers.

Also- I leave the conditioner soaked microfiber cloth in the glove compartment after the whole process (it typically retains some of the product for a few weeks it seems) and in between full on detail sessions use it to wipe down the dash/doors as necessary- you know when it's been raining and water streaks the vinyl on the doors? Scrub it w/ a Lexol conditioner soaked microfiber and those streaks will disappear.

Try this method I am sure you will be happy.

The above procedures all sound good. The only thing I will add is that the soap you use is Murphy's Oil Soap. I mix it about 50:1 in warm water (a couple of cap fulls of soap per gallon). I have used it for years on vehicle interiors and have found nothing better. It doesn't leave behind any residue and has a nice clean smell that doesn't linger. It works great on all matte finish vehicle surfaces. And it's infused with natural oils that condition the surfaces.

I use products designed to be used in the interior only. Using leather conditioners on vinyl will have negative effects in the long run. I have a friend that owns a trim shop and I often go lend a hand... well because it is a free education and I'm a car guy. He has been doing high end trim work for 30 years. I have seen first hand what a leather conditioner does to vinyl and it isn't pretty.

I use Chemical Guys products and use the following.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/InnerClean_16_oz_p/spi_663_16.htm

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Natural_Shine_Dressing_16_oz_p/tvd_201_16.htm

For my 32 ford interior I use this Presta since the interior is all ultra leather

http://www.prestaproducts.com/Leather___Vinyl_Cleaner-details.aspx

Lexol does make good leather cleaners and conditioners

Also never use Windex or any other window cleaner that has ammonia in it. It will take a toll on your window tint over time.

A good window cleaner is invisible glass.

http://www.invisibleglass.com/

Depends on the leather conditioner I suppose - 140,000 miles and 6 years on a G8 GT, 88,000 miles and 4.5 years on a GTO, 180,000 miles and 6 years on an accord.110,000 miles and 8 years on '07 silverado, etc etc NO ill effects from doing what I described above.

Go to autogeek if you want a plethora of cleaning solutions/detail stuff.

So I'm going to ask what might be a dumb question, what's the advantage of using these products over just a damp towel?

Since most of it isn't real leather it shouldn't really need anything. The truck has laminated glass all-around so UV shouldn't be an issue, and from other threads it sounds like the jury is somewhat out on treating the leather since it has a sealant on it.

Most of the products I've used on other cars in the past just seem to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, just meaning once you start using them you either need to keep using it and often in higher quantities just to keep up appearances. Kind of like with armour all, it just makes stuff duller and duller if you don't keep using it.

so generally I just use a california duster to surface clean and every so often will get a soft cloth and get it wet, wring it out real good, then go over everything. After the windows of course. then I'll finish up with some compressed air if any little towel lint remains. Before I got this truck my cars were 12 and 13 years old respectively and still looked good, wondering why/if I should start using something?

Couldn't agree more.

So I'm going to ask what might be a dumb question, what's the advantage of using these products over just a damp towel?

Since most of it isn't real leather it shouldn't really need anything. The truck has laminated glass all-around so UV shouldn't be an issue, and from other threads it sounds like the jury is somewhat out on treating the leather since it has a sealant on it.

Most of the products I've used on other cars in the past just seem to be a self-fulfilling prophecy, just meaning once you start using them you either need to keep using it and often in higher quantities just to keep up appearances. Kind of like with armour all, it just makes stuff duller and duller if you don't keep using it.

so generally I just use a california duster to surface clean and every so often will get a soft cloth and get it wet, wring it out real good, then go over everything. After the windows of course. then I'll finish up with some compressed air if any little towel lint remains. Before I got this truck my cars were 12 and 13 years old respectively and still looked good, wondering why/if I should start using something?

The plastics dry out and become brittle with age. Heat is a big offender in aging plastics and leather. Some UV still gets through the glass, and can fade the finish.

The interior detailer cleans and helps keep the plastics from drying out.

Each to their own for sure. I never cleaned my 2009 Avalanche's interior with anything other than slightly damp cloth. The Leather or anything for that matter had a single issue ever. Traded it for this 2015 in like new condition.

Thanks for the responses!

I have actual leather seats. should I go with the damp cloth or get some leather cleaner and conditioner?

Thanks!!!

You paid $45-$50K for your truck, don't cheap out when taking care of it.

pinnacle-leather-combo-3.gif

Archived